carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #41
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
This thread is relevant to my interests as we contemplate getting rid of the CX-5. Marisa and I both actually like the look of the Mk8's exterior, but the "iPad stuck inside the dash" look isn't my bag.

Would this be a long-term keeper or would you sell it before it starts to fall apart around 60,000 miles like every other VAG product?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #42
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
This thread is relevant to my interests as we contemplate getting rid of the CX-5. Marisa and I both actually like the look of the Mk8's exterior, but the "iPad stuck inside the dash" look isn't my bag.

Would this be a long-term keeper or would you sell it before it starts to fall apart around 60,000 miles like every other VAG product?
I see it as a long-term ownership. This car would be destined to be the car the kids get to drive, used as an X car for going in the city, etc. I suspect there is a good chance one of the two boys may want it as his car down the road.

If I look back, we have nearly always had some kind of quasi-practical "little" car. Saabaru, Mini, eGolf. Even the Miata has been playing that role (rather poorly).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #43
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I looked at a Mini when I bought the Golf R a few years back. It was substantially more money than the Golf, was smaller and a lot slower, and worst of all didn’t really feel special the way the R56 did; the Golf was just as nice to drive.

Hard pass.

I didn’t drive the Countryman, but can’t imagine it would be better in any of those metrics.
To be fair, I haven't driven any of the new Minis, I just have a real soft spot for the R53s. My mechanic has an old base manual that I get as a loaner whenever I take a BMW in for service and it has sooo much character. I can imagine the new ones have lost a lot of it.

As these threads evolve, it seems like there are 5 cars to be recommended for all:
1. Tesla
2. Miata
3. GTI
4. CX-5
5. Insert whichever 911/Boxster variant fits the narative here.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #44
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
To be fair, I haven't driven any of the new Minis, I just have a real soft spot for the R53s. My mechanic has an old base manual that I get as a loaner whenever I take a BMW in for service and it has sooo much character. I can imagine the new ones have lost a lot of it.

As these threads evolve, it seems like there are 5 cars to be recommended for all:
1. Tesla
2. Miata
3. GTI
4. CX-5
5. Insert whichever 911/Boxster variant fits the narative here.
I was thinking this, too!

The Mazda3 with a stick also occurred to me, as it will morph into a kid car. But no getting around that it’s not as powerful as some other options.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I was thinking this, too!

The Mazda3 with a stick also occurred to me, as it will morph into a kid car. But no getting around that it’s not as powerful as some other options.
And, if stick were not a requirement, I might suggest trying the CX30...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #46
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I see it as a long-term ownership. This car would be destined to be the car the kids get to drive, used as an X car for going in the city, etc. I suspect there is a good chance one of the two boys may want it as his car down the road.

If I look back, we have nearly always had some kind of quasi-practical "little" car. Saabaru, Mini, eGolf. Even the Miata has been playing that role (rather poorly).

Something else to think about - with the way the Mazda 3 2.5T is going upscale and the Golf disappearing, there is a sweet spot for Honda to enter a more powerful and upscale trim Civic Hatchback for this new 2021 model/generation lineup. Heck, they may make it an Si hatchback in the high $20k to low $30k range with some nice power and a manual trans available. There is such a huge gap (price and power) between the Type R and the Hatchback Touring Sport that it is begging for an offering. That would be a car to keep long term.

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #47
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
...with the way the Mazda 3 2.5T is going upscale and the Golf disappearing...
The Mazda 3 2.5T looks very nice and seems like a great car. Too bad about no MT.

Speaking off, I was recalling JST's troubles with the R's clutch when I came across some comments suggesting the GTI's clutch is kind of weak. I'm very easy on my clutches but my wife isn't. No burnouts or anything, just a more average clutch use. But given my commute is mostly hwy, I think we'll be ok... until the kids learn to drive stick.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #48
robg
Carmudgeon

I was thinking about GTIs the other day. Walked past a nice mk7 in white and thought to myself “that is still such a nice looking car”. I’d go so far as to say that it’s a “sweet spot” under 50k. Spending more or less than what a GTI costs seems to quicky reach diminishing returns. Actually started looking to see if I could find some deals - you’re right that used prices don’t make sense. There’s not much about the mk8 that woukd make me want to wait for it and in fact There’s several things that I really don’t like about it.

I suppose reliability isn’t going to be up to Honda/Toyota standards but should be atleast as good as the other cars (mini for example) that you’re considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #49
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Something else to think about - with the way the Mazda 3 2.5T is going upscale and the Golf disappearing, there is a sweet spot for Honda to enter a more powerful and upscale trim Civic Hatchback for this new 2021 model/generation lineup. Heck, they may make it an Si hatchback in the high $20k to low $30k range with some nice power and a manual trans available. There is such a huge gap (price and power) between the Type R and the Hatchback Touring Sport that it is begging for an offering. That would be a car to keep long term.
If Honda could figure out how to design cars that aren't so offensive looking they'd be on the list.

Marisa is really interested in test driving the Mazda 3 with the turbo motor, but that car makes no sense to me at the price they are asking for it. My guess is in a year there will be bunches of them on dealer lots, heavily discounted.

I really really want VW to figure out how to make cars that are reliable beyond the warranty period but the GTI just ain't it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #50
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The Mazda 3 2.5T looks very nice and seems like a great car. Too bad about no MT.

Speaking off, I was recalling JST's troubles with the R's clutch when I came across some comments suggesting the GTI's clutch is kind of weak. I'm very easy on my clutches but my wife isn't. No burnouts or anything, just a more average clutch use. But given my commute is mostly hwy, I think we'll be ok... until the kids learn to drive stick.
Yes it feels weak and according to the interweb it fails very quickly if you chip it to add more power. I think the r has the exact same clutch.

With that said it is very easy to drive so it will be good for kids to learn on.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote