carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
dan
redefined

What next? The M2 is out

I'm just not in the mood to spend $60,000 on a car any more. I'm preparing for my 115,000 mile 135 to start costing me a lot (more) money, so I'm starting to think about what to do sooner rather than later. I don't really think I'm interested in a used 240 or any other BMW going forward--poor reliability with high repair costs have soured me a bit. Not to mention 1 more kid's car and 2 college educations coming due in the next 6 years.

So..what to do? The first thing that came to mind is $25,000 or so for a 3 year old GTI. Though that seems like maybe not a great idea if reliability and repair costs are a concern? Maybe a Mazda (car) something? I just don't know. I guess I'm looking to go $30,000 max.

Maybe I'll just buy a truck
Old 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
dan
redefined

ok, no trucks
Old 09-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I'm just not in the mood to spend $60,000 on a car any more. I'm preparing for my 115,000 mile 135 to start costing me a lot (more) money, so I'm starting to think about what to do sooner rather than later. I don't really think I'm interested in a used 240 or any other BMW going forward--poor reliability with high repair costs have soured me a bit. Not to mention 1 more kid's car and 2 college educations coming due in the next 6 years.

So..what to do? The first thing that came to mind is $25,000 or so for a 3 year old GTI. Though that seems like maybe not a great idea if reliability and repair costs are a concern? Maybe a Mazda (car) something? I just don't know. I guess I'm looking to go $30,000 max.

First of all, yes. It will. It can range from routine to non-routine (e.g. walnut shell blasting of the valves). HPFPs. Shocks. Brakes. Coolant system overhaul. Window regulators. The list is long.

Second, manual or DSG or automatic?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

Mazda6?

Edit: And that's precisely why I ended up with a Mazda. Just over the price of entry and maintenance on these fancy cars. At least for now. Plus, car for kid; college for kid; retirement before I'm dead.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
First of all, yes. It will. It can range from routine to non-routine (e.g. walnut shell blasting of the valves). HPFPs. Shocks. Brakes. Coolant system overhaul. Window regulators. The list is long.
Yeah, I've already done some of that.

I'd do either/or on the transmission
Old 09-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Mazda6?
Certainly a possibility. Only reason to avoid would be my 2006 was just so...blah. Plus they're gonna be going RWD very soon.

Maybe I could hold out for that one
Old 09-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Edit: And that's precisely why I ended up with a Mazda. Just over the price of entry and maintenance on these fancy cars. At least for now. Plus, car for kid; college for kid; retirement before I'm dead.
yep. all of that. And I'd just so much rather spend $30,000 and go on 4-5-6 kickass vacations than $60,000 on a car.

Yeah cost of ownership and all, but
Old 09-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
yep. all of that. And I'd just so much rather spend $30,000 and go on 4-5-6 kickass vacations than $60,000 on a car.

Yeah cost of ownership and all, but
This, too.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
dan
redefined

Oh not to mention also possibly buying a house or spending $100,000ish to renovate a house to accomodate 5 people in the next year or 2
Old 09-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Oh not to mention also possibly buying a house or spending $100,000ish to renovate a house to accomodate 5 people in the next year or 2
Two routes, assuming car supply which is iffy at the moment, IMO

1. Lease a GTI or A4

2. Preowned E300 or 530 since they depreciate like rocks. But are immensely nice vehicles.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote