carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #221
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The first order of business should be to address the road use tax (i.e. fuel tax) that EV drivers don't pay.
At least 20 states already have an EV registration fee to solve for this, with more coming. The only problem with them is that many (most) of the fees result in a higher tax for the EV (based on average miles driven)...

Some of these also apply to hybrids -- typically 50% of the full BEV amount

Links with more info (the first link is missing at least Ohio, the consumer reports link shows the % increase over the gas tax)...
https://www.myev.com/research/intere...ectric-vehicle
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...tric-vehicles/

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
We've been talking about taxation in some other threads over the past year. Short version is there are at least two schools of thought on whether taxing ICE vs EV will help drive people to EVs or just fuck over those of more meager means and, like all other regressive tax policies, further expand the gulf between the moneyed and the damned.

I'm not sure what the connection is between ICE and insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Well, the fairest thing would be to add a surcharge on ICE new cars such that it closes the delta between them and EVs, or makes EVs more affordable. And/or continue incentives and rebates for buying EVs.

Leave used ICEs alone to help with affordability for lower income folks.
I like the approach Norway has taken, although politics in this country will prevent this type of logical and carbon-reduction focused solution from happening.

Phase 1: Incentivize EV purchases. Norway did this by reducing VAT on EVs to 0%, along with a reduction in the VAT for PHEVs. They also eliminated tolls reduced the annual registration taxes for EVs. This created a strong incentive for EVs by making them significantly less expensive to buy (VAT is 25%) and operate. Result is that the majority of new car sales in Norway are now electrified (EV and PHEV).

Phase 2: Make ICEs more expensive to buy and operate. This has been done adding a 20% carbon tax on new ICE car sales. Norway is also increase tolls and fees for all vehicles. For tolls, since EVs are coming off a baseline of $0, they are still less expensive to drive. This will be done in phases and tolls will eventually double for ICE and return to the "normal" rate for EVs over the next couple years.

Phase 3: Reintroduce VAT on EVs. Earlier this year, a proposal was to include VAT on higher priced EVs, but only the portion over 600k kroner (about $65k). At some point they will either bring that threshold down, or introduce a graduated VAT on EVs.

Result is that Norway hit 60% electrified new car sales in 2020...
More info here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianpalm...h=1e86e65e275f
Old 10-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #222
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
At least 20 states already have an EV registration fee to solve for this, with more coming. The only problem with them is that many (most) of the fees result in a higher tax for the EV (based on average miles driven)...

Some of these also apply to hybrids -- typically 50% of the full BEV amount

Links with more info (the first link is missing at least Ohio, the consumer reports link shows the % increase over the gas tax)...
https://www.myev.com/research/intere...ectric-vehicle
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...tric-vehicles/

I like the approach Norway has taken, although politics in this country will prevent this type of logical and carbon-reduction focused solution from happening.

Phase 1: Incentivize EV purchases. Norway did this by reducing VAT on EVs to 0%, along with a reduction in the VAT for PHEVs. They also eliminated tolls reduced the annual registration taxes for EVs. This created a strong incentive for EVs by making them significantly less expensive to buy (VAT is 25%) and operate. Result is that the majority of new car sales in Norway are now electrified (EV and PHEV).

Phase 2: Make ICEs more expensive to buy and operate. This has been done adding a 20% carbon tax on new ICE car sales. Norway is also increase tolls and fees for all vehicles. For tolls, since EVs are coming off a baseline of $0, they are still less expensive to drive. This will be done in phases and tolls will eventually double for ICE and return to the "normal" rate for EVs over the next couple years.

Phase 3: Reintroduce VAT on EVs. Earlier this year, a proposal was to include VAT on higher priced EVs, but only the portion over 600k kroner (about $65k). At some point they will either bring that threshold down, or introduce a graduated VAT on EVs.

Result is that Norway hit 60% electrified new car sales in 2020...
More info here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianpalm...h=1e86e65e275f
Okay. So LA proper has more people in it than the entire country of Norway. Just wanted to put that out there. And their tax system is like 80%. There are about 175,000 automotive sales per year in Norway.

So many similarities there with the US, it’s hard to count them all.

Obviously easy to port their solution to the US, a country that spans a continent, right?

Come on, dude.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:43 PM   #223
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Well this thread took a shit turn
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #224
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Well this thread took a shit turn
I am not policing the thread, just annoyed when it ceases to be about the Cayman 4.0 GTS?

Old 10-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #225
lemming
Western Anomaly

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...gts-40-review/

Old 10-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #226
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Sigh. I'm starting to understand how the Bronco people on Twitter feel, regarding allocations.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #227
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The GTS’s footwell feels narrow on either version of the car. But with two pedals rather than three, you’ve got just a bit more space to let your left foot relax. While the dead pedal stretches wide enough, its placement awkwardly cants your ankle, since your left foot has to sit so far inboard. This layout is evidently due to the GTS’s wide front track, which ultimately eats into the pedalbox

This is a strange comment, I noticed today driving my Cayman on the parkway that the dead pedal was a little closer in then on some other cars, I am wondering if in this case the pedal is even closer in on the GTS ... the wheel base as well as the tire sizes are identical ...

I am tempted to post on rennlist to find out ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #228
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I am tempted to post on rennlist to find out ...
When I'm struggling with a decision, I sometimes find it helpful to write out lists of pros and cons. Perhaps that could help you here.

(sorry...i just had to)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #229
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
When I'm struggling with a decision, I sometimes find it helpful to write out lists of pros and cons. Perhaps that could help you here.

That’s not a bad idea
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #230
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
A local dealer (the one that wanted a deposit to put me on the waiting list) sent me an e-mail and left me two voicemails on Thursday. Marisa and I were in the backwoods of NY state at the time so I didn't actually get the notifications until a few hours later.

Turns out they got a GTS in and wanted to know if I wanted to test drive it. I briefly got excited but then I read the message more closely...

a 2015 GTS.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote