carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
RS4 vert

I’m not really a fan of high performance cabs, but the RS4 external appearance wise is going to be tough for BMW’s similar variant to beat. Inside the cabin it's a dead cert that it will punk anything AG can throw at it.

Seriously doubt they will try and sell it at the $113k equivalent of 60,000 GBP, but it'll certainly cost an arm and a leg, nonetheless.

Phew, what a scorcher! With temperatures soaring, where better to test Audi’s red-hot new RS4 Cabriolet than the UK? The latest addition to the firm’s line-up is the first drop-top to wear the famous RS badge, and has already impressed us on an early test drive in Europe. However, we couldn’t wait to try it out on traditional British roads to see how it fares.

As with the RS4 saloon, it rides 30mm lower than the standard car and boasts noticeably flared wheelarches. They cover distinctive 18-inch alloys and combine to give the rapid cabrio a purposeful stance.

The slatted front bumper and polished metal windscreen surround also help identify it from lesser models in the range. Inside, you’ll find the usual high-quality trim, while on the centre console is a starter button for the car’s stand-out feature – its engine.

It’s the same 414bhp 4.2-litre V8 as in the saloon, and the pace is electrifying, even though this model is heavier. An extra 195kg adds two-tenths-of-a-second to the 0-60mph time, but the RS4 still hits the mark in 4.9 seconds.

A simple tweak of the right foot is all it takes to unleash this surge of power, especially when you activate Sports mode using the steering wheel-mounted button. It sharpens throttle response and prompts the electrically adjustable bolsters on the bucket seats to grip you even more tightly.

If you do find somewhere to stretch the Cabriolet’s legs, you’ll find that it’s impressively refined, and with the hood in place the cabin is nearly as quiet as the saloon’s. Lowering the fully automated roof takes 21 seconds, and once folded even high motorway speeds are free from buffeting.

Driving with the top down also allows you to get the full benefit of the glorious V8 soundtrack, which has a distinctive and charismatic burble.

However, the RS4 Cabriolet isn’t just about looking and sounding great. Thanks to Audi’s quattro all-wheel-drive set-up, it handles superbly, too. There’s tremendous grip, body roll is well controlled and the absorbent ride smooths out all but the biggest bumps.

Yet despite the extra chassis strengthening, the Cabriolet can’t match the tin-top model on uneven roads. While it’s admirably stiff for a four-seater convertible, there are more shakes and vibrations – and the faster you go, the more obvious they become. Another area where the four-door scores over the convertible is in terms of practicality. Boot space is limited by the fabric hood, and the optional RS bucket seats only make a token effort to tilt forward, so rear access is limited.

Then there’s the RS4 Cabrio’s price. It costs nearly £60,000, and you could buy an entry-level Porsche Cayman for that money and still have enough change left over to get a Volkswagen Eos! However, with the first year’s allocation of 150 models already spoken for, ownership will be highly prized and strong residuals are guaranteed.

Few cars can match the RS4’s cross-country abilities, and the addition of a convertible makes for a truly unique, if somewhat pricey, proposition.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
They removed the roof, so it should get lighter, right?

Seriously though, the interior of these cars is positively beautiful (at least in pictures). BMW could learn a thing or seven. Even if we don't get the badass seats and flat-bottom steering wheel.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
So tell me again why Audi does not have a coupe version of the A4.

Its right there but with the top cut off??? *shrugs*
Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Seriously though, the interior of these cars is positively beautiful (at least in pictures). BMW could learn a thing or seven. Even if we don't get the badass seats and flat-bottom steering wheel.
BMW acts like it's just trying too hard to be cool. Rather than play it straight with clean, straightforward, effective designs (like they always used to employ), now it's all about being avant-garde. And it's crap.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Those A4 cabs are all pretty, I see a lot of them on the roads around here, very popular.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
BMW acts like it's just trying too hard to be cool. Rather than play it straight with clean, straightforward, effective designs (like they always used to employ), now it's all about being avant-garde. And it's crap.
I agree - I hate the new interiors in the three series, especially that awful center-hump dash.

If BMW had the sales numbers to back up their new strategy, they'd have something to trumpet, but as it stands, they're down some 13% - even the formerly strong-selling E90 is leveling off.

Ed
Old 08-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11
I agree - I hate the new interiors in the three series, especially that awful center-hump dash.

If BMW had the sales numbers to back up their new strategy, they'd have something to trumpet, but as it stands, they're down some 13% - even the formerly strong-selling E90 is leveling off.

Ed
Um, I was referring to ALL of the current BMW interiors. They are all crap.

(All of the current BMW exteriors are crap as well, but that's another topic altogether.)
Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM3C
So tell me again why Audi does not have a coupe version of the A4.

Its right there but with the top cut off??? *shrugs*
And while they're at it make it RWD.

But that's too bold and forward thinking for Audi. They are going to live and die by their AWD mantra.

Personally, I don't think they want to go head-to-head with BMW. They are perfectly satisfied breaking even, rather than going for the brass rings. Their forte and comfort zone is AWD, and they obviously have made a conscious decision not to venture outside the box, even if just to test the waters with just one vehicle. I honestly think they are too afraid they might succeed. If they did win a head-to-head battle with say for example the E92, what would they do then? Change the entire product line to RWD vehicles? Make all/some available in RWD configuration?

It just opens too many decisions that someone with foresight and big cajones will have to make.

What they don't know is it's a battle that they could win right now. I'm looking to crossover in a bad way, but they honestly have nothing compelling enough for me to do it. Either their offerings are missing the right set of options and/or drivetrain, or what is offered is too expensive in relation to competitive offerings.

Until they can put the right combination together I'm afraid I'll never partake of the Audi experience.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov'ment mule

But that's too bold and forward thinking for Audi. They are going to live and die by their AWD mantra.

Personally, I don't think they want to go head-to-head with BMW. They are perfectly satisfied breaking even, rather than going for the brass rings. Their forte and comfort zone is AWD, and they obviously have made a conscious decision not to venture outside the box, even if just to test the waters with just one vehicle. I honestly think they are too afraid they might succeed. If they did win a head-to-head battle with say for example the E92, what would they do then? Change the entire product line to RWD vehicles? Make all/some available in RWD configuration?

It just opens too many decisions that someone with foresight and big cajones will have to make.

What they don't know is it's a battle that they could win right now. I'm looking to crossover in a bad way, but they honestly have nothing compelling enough for me to do it. Either their offerings are missing the right set of options and/or drivetrain, or what is offered is too expensive in relation to competitive offerings.

Until they can put the right combination together I'm afraid I'll never partake of the Audi experience.
No, I think they genuinely believe in AWD. Quattro is their distinguisher. Their "unfair advantage" ads spoke to this angle.

They will stay FWD-based as long as the platforms are heavily shared with VW, which, from a cost perspective, must remain FWD.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov'ment mule

Current Audis are fwd drive adapted to awd designs, it would take a whole new chassis to develop a rwd model - you can't just take a fwd design and convert it to rwd. For instance, audi uses V6's and they hang forward of the front axle - this would have to be changed for rear drive.

I'm fairly certain the business model for building a completely new chassis doesn't quite make sense for Audi, they're no different from any car maker, they're subtly refining and evolving a platform that's worked well for them since the early quattro days.

Bmw's no different, they've had, for years, nothing but inline engines, mac strut front ends and until the late 80's and a switch to the multi-link rear (firstly on the big seven series and later on the E36), semi trailing arms in the rear.......yet they made it work.

Ed