carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #171
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I hate to admit it since I've never liked VWs, but I've really started looking at the newer GTIs for the shortlist to replace my old CR-V. I'm still leaning toward some type of Honda/Acura sedan, but I'm going to try to drive a GTI before I pull the trigger on something. I really like the Golf wagon that a neighbor recently bought.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #172
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I hate to admit it since I've never liked VWs, but I've really started looking at the newer GTIs for the shortlist to replace my old CR-V. I'm still leaning toward some type of Honda/Acura sedan, but I'm going to try to drive a GTI before I pull the trigger on something. I really like the Golf wagon that a neighbor recently bought.
Big driving difference between the GTI and the Sportwagen. Some space difference in the opposite direction. Try to find a GTI with the PP, red brakes and front diff.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #173
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Hey stop talking about Macan's, trying to mark them off my list and started looking at inventory

and yes used prices are still stupid at Porsche dealers. Assuming there is room to negotiate but I did see some in upper 30s at other new car dealers.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #174
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Macan lookwise is a home run to me and always turns my head, especially in GTS or with sport classic rims

Old 09-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #175
equ
Alphanumeric

That round rump...

I'm likely going to have my partial reason overrule my full emotion and go for a 2014-15 Cayenne

- last of the diesels, whereas there will be more Macans

- doesn't overlap with the other cars (GTI, 535i) as much, simpler decision replacing JGC

- sweet spot in depreciation curve, enormous warranty; Macans are the opposite

- even if Macan has a 19.6gal tank, I don't like the idea of getting 22mpg on premium on the highway

But yeah, Macan wins for looks, driving feel, day-in day-out use. My use case is more long trips.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #176
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That round rump...

I'm likely going to have my partial reason overrule my full emotion and go for a 2014-15 Cayenne

- last of the diesels, whereas there will be more Macans

- doesn't overlap with the other cars (GTI, 535i) as much, simpler decision replacing JGC

- sweet spot in depreciation curve, enormous warranty; Macans are the opposite

- even if Macan has a 19.6gal tank, I don't like the idea of getting 22mpg on premium on the highway

But yeah, Macan wins for looks, driving feel, day-in day-out use. My use case is more long trips.
GTS MT...

https://jalopnik.com/one-of-you-mani...1829293939/amp
Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #177
equ
Alphanumeric

Another way of thinking about it, though is that I could get a Macan, make sure it has roof rails and hitch to save some modicum of practicality and replace both the JGC and the 535i. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up the big soft sedan with the 6-speed though. I sound like a hoarder...
Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #178
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Another way of thinking about it, though is that I could get a Macan, make sure it has roof rails and hitch to save some modicum of practicality and replace both the JGC and the 535i. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up the big soft sedan with the 6-speed though. I sound like a hoarder...
hitch support is pretty much my requirement nowadays for my bikes. Not a fan of roof racks.

Also fold down rear seats for surfboard but will make do with front passenger seat if required.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #179
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Hmm. Looks like I can rent a Macan here in Atlanta...

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/12/lux...ent/index.html

"Porsche is making it easier for people to get behind the wheel of its cars and SUVs without having to make any serious commitments.
The German automaker, famous for its sports cars, is starting two separate pilot programs in the United States that will enable people to rent Porsches.

One, run by Porsche Cars North America, will operate only in the Atlanta area, home to Porsche's North American headquarters. Called Porsche Drive, it launched this week and will offer hourly to weekly rentals of brand-new Porsche cars and SUVs.

Fully insured cars will be delivered to customers with a full tank of gas. Prices range from $269 for four hours — the minimum rental allowed — in a Porsche Macan compact SUV or 718 Boxster sports car. A week with a Porsche 911 will cost $2,909.

The other pilot program, available in San Francisco and Los Angeles starting October 8, is operated with the peer-to-peer car rental company Turo. Dozens of customer-owned Porsche cars and SUVs are already available for rent on Turo in those markets. Turo will select the best-rated owners, or "hosts," and those owners will receive special training on their cars and in customer service at Porsche's Experience Center in Los Angeles."
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #180
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Quote:
Big driving difference between the GTI and the Sportwagen. Some space difference in the opposite direction. Try to find a GTI with the PP, red brakes and front diff.
Choose wisely and you also answer your autox question.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote