carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #61
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I can't believe I've had this car for almost a year already, but I still like it... a lot! It is not my daily driver, but I always look forward to driving it. It just sucks driving any half-decent car on the awful streets of Baltimore. So... I guess I'll update on how I've been using it.

I've dumped a little more money into the car recently to prep it for the SCCA RTR class. It is now about 90% prepped. The interesting thing is that the money I've spent on upgrades is almost exactly the amount I saved buying a Scion vs. Subaru. I've since added Dunlop ZII tires, camber bolts, a big front anti-sway bar, Koni Yellows, and a K&N drop-in filter. I have a muffler delete on order, but I don't know if I can squeeze lightweight wheels into this season's budget. I MUST get an alignment ASAP though.

I also did my first "national" event, though there were fewer cars than my typical local event. The car trophied (but not me), so I guess I'm sort-of-almost there with it. I spun and coned my first two runs on the first day, so I was cautious on my last run just to get a clean run and my codriver got a huge jump on me after day one. I was faster than my codriver the next day but still could have done better. I'm hoping to get into the DC ProSolo, but I'm stuck on the waitlist right now

The car is about where I want it, so I guess I'll keep fine-tuning for the next couple months. Here is an autocross video from the "national" event last month. The understeer is mostly due to overdriving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccVe42ax_rQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017 - Copy.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8539  
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #62
clyde
Chief title editor

Road tire.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #63
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Road tire.
How did you know I was going to ask?

It's only been a couple years but I'm so lost with what the SCCA is doing now.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #64
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
i love reading about your progress on the car. please keep the updates coming!

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #65
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
How did you know I was going to ask?

It's only been a couple years but I'm so lost with what the SCCA is doing now.
They are hellbent on fucking anyone interesting in running a mostly stock car. Any other discussion should be in another thread.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #66
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
supercharge looks pretty nice, not sure what is with the dip at the high end, supercharger ran out of boost?

http://www.edmunds.com/scion/fr-s/20...no-tested.html
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #67
Biggins
Crotchety

So… I suppose it has been several months since I’ve updated this thread. I still have the FR-S and am enjoying it. Now that I have an old CR-V that is a true beater and a girlfriend with a reliable (high MPG) new car, the only miles the FR-S sees are for autocross events and fun drives. I just hit 8k miles after 15 months with the car. I’m getting surprisingly good MPG with an average of just over 30 MPG in combined driving for this type of car.

I’m glad I bought it and after a year autocrossing it, I decided that this car DEFINITELY needs more torque. If it drops below 4k RPM, the car feels dead. I had been planning to try R-compound tires next year, but with the rules changes, I suppose I will be sticking to “street” tires. I did the DC ProSolo in July with some disappointing results. I was launching the car too low on the drag race start and had the slowest 60 ft times. On Sunday, I learned how to launch the car but could only manage a 9th/13 when I should have realistically been 4-5th/13. My results this season have finally been encouraging since I have been finishing 2-3rd/20 cars in the local RTR class and around ~40th in the index out of 200+ cars. I typically blow first place at local events by hitting a cone then finishing hundredths back of the leader. I have about five more local events I’m planning to attend this season before I tinker with the car for next year. I may try to have some seasoned drivers co-drive to help with set-up ideas.

The only changes I’ve made to the car this summer have been a muffler delete that made the car louder (and 22 lbs. lighter) and an alignment with some toe-out in the front and slight toe-in in the rear. Unfortunately, the most negative camber I can get is about -1.1 in the front.

Perhaps some of the seasoned autocrossers can chime in, but I have some changes I’m going to make for next season. The first thing is to get lighter wheels and wider tires. I’m currently running the OEM wheels that weigh 20.5 lbs. and a skinny 215/45/17 tire. I want to switch to a ~14 lb wheel with a 235/40/17 tire. Will losing the rotational mass truly make THAT much of a difference? I’ve been disappointed with the amount of mid-corner understeer the car has with the 25mm hollow front bar. The stock is 18mm and most “national” drivers are now using a hollow 22mm or solid 20mm bar. I have to decide, but I’ll pick one of the smaller bars for next year. Oh, and I’ll be working on my driving quite a lot. I want to get a little more competitive and make the haul to some larger events since SO many people are driving this car in this class. We’ll see, but that’s all for now.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #68
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I don't know anything about RTR. Doesn't Sam have one of these? Make that phone call.....
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #69
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I don't know anything about RTR. Doesn't Sam have one of these? Make that phone call.....
1-814-849-3450
http://www.stranoparts.com

Call Sammy. Tell him what you have and what you want to do. Buy the parts he tells you to buy (from him...and if it's more than your budget, tell him what you can spend and go from there). Set it up the way he tells you. Drive it the way he tells you. Win.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #70
Biggins
Crotchety

I've talked to Sam at a couple events. I'm 80-90% sure I'll be replacing my current front bar with the one he developed/sells. I did not initially buy his bar because there were fitment issues that have since been rectified. I guess it does say something that the only FRS/BRZs (locally and at big events) that have beaten me this year have his bar.

I already have the Konis, K&N, and muffler delete... so the new bar, lighter wheels/tires, and maybe brake pads are the only things I can add to the car for this new "C-Street" class.

Any thoughts on how losing 3-7 lbs. of rotating mass from a lighter wheel/tire setup may affect things? Has the difference been THAT significant in your past experiences?