carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #1561
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Interesting comparison of the Bolt and the Model S 60.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...la-model-s-60/

The Bolt comes across as pretty impressive, though the biggest flaw in the ointment is the fast charging capability, which is really inferior to Tesla's.
I read that too.

One nit with the article -- they went into the Bolt's ability to have lower regen and an automatic-style creep, but did not mention that the Tesla also has those features (made it sound like the Tesla only had aggressive region). They are independent settings on the Tesla screen...

The Bolt's implementation of regen seems odd to me. The gear selector using D for low regen + creep and L for high regen/no creep makes sense, but GM's thinking that most people will use L most of the time is counter-intuitive (since all those auto-only drivers basically only use D all the time). Probably would have made sense to use "D" as-is, then use "H" instead of "L", and put H closer to P...

But the regen choice that seems really odd is the regen paddle by the steering wheel -- I know that's a carryover from the Volt, but I didn't understand that implementation either... Baking regen into the accelerator pedal is so much simpler and easier to learn...
Old 11-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #1562
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
@TeslaCanDoNoWrong ��
Old 11-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #1563
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
The "L" thing seems pretty dumb. I get having the normal "D" mode, but they should've gone with an "Eco" button or something to enable the modes rather than using the shifter.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #1564
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Yeah, "D" should have been the "Tesla" driving mode, with a button or shifter toggle needed to get into the "more like a gas-powered car" mode.

It seems a bit silly to compare this car with a Model S. I understand what they were getting at, but it would have made a lot more sense to compare it against the i3, the Leaf or the Merc B-class, all cars that are closer to the Bolt's price. I imagine most buyers shop on price and there aren't many that are considering a Tesla that would even set foot in a Chevy dealership.

My friends with Volts have all had pretty stellar experiences with them, but the biggest downside I can see is that the Bolt is a Chevy. The lack of a comprehensive ultra-fast charging infrastructure is another... but it's not such a big deal to have a long-range car in the garage as well as the daily in-town driver Bolt.

That MT thinks it has pretty playful handling is relevant to my interests. The Model S is a big, heavy and cumbersome-feeling car from behind the wheel.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #1565
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
flaw in the ointment
Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #1566
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
@TeslaCanDoNoWrong ��

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #1567
ZBB
Relic

Unrelated to JST's pending purchase…

But I'm waffling again...
Old 11-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #1568
JST

Have you driven an X?

I can see given your new locale that a D would make some sense. Would def order by the end of the year to get the free supercharging.

I can't really imagine needing more than a 90D (or the rumored 100D). The 75 is probably enough.

I do have some questions about insurance coverage of the software limited cars, since the actual physical battery is the same.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #1569
ZBB
Relic

I sat in an X last night, but haven't driven one. My S will go in for its 62,500 service in a couple weeks, and I'm going to see if they can arrange an X loaner while its in. I'm intrigued by the X -- its just different enough from the S that it would feel more different than just getting another S.

But I really like the S, especially with the Next Gen seats, and I kind of like the facelifted front. And I want red this time...

We won't need a D for another year, but I am leaning that way (we're not moving until June…). For now, I've priced out an S60, S60D and a couple X75Ds (5 and 6 seat)… I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on an X90D -- $10k for an extra 20 miles that we won't need (and we've done just fine with under 200 miles of range in our S60 for all the road trips we've done).

If I can get over the X's price, then maybe I'll pull the trigger. If I do, the order will go in on New Year's Eve, which should be a March delivery. The S will have just under 70k miles by then and be approaching 4 years old.

My wife and I have also talked about going EV only. Her Countryman is almost 4.5 years old and she has the itch. We could get an X now and then replace the Countryman with a 3...
Old 11-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #1570
JST

Unless you routinely have to move 6 people, I can't really see the point of the X. It doesn't drive a lot worse than the S, but it is noticeably taller and heavier.

The panoramic windshield is kind of a cool effect, but it comes at the expense of a roof that opens.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote