carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

XK8 adventure

Some of may have seen on Facebook that the Jaguar finally let me down. I was out Sunday to run some errands, got a few miles from my house and stopped at a red light. When it turned green and I started moving, it felt like it didn't make power, but it got me through the intersection and up to 40mph like a normal person. A couple moments later, I gave it some gas. Revs went up, but it wasn't really moving.

I decided to head home, which meant turning left at the next light. I was the second car in line with a red light. Light turned green and I barely made it into the intersection (what I was afraid was going to happen) before it stalled. It restarted, barely, and immediately stumbled and stalled again. A woman quickly helped me push it out of the intersection. I called AAA, a truck got there in 20 minutes and maybe 50 minutes from the initial stall, the Jaguar was back in my driveway.

A couple weeks ago, I drove it to Altoona and back one evening without incident, turning it off and starting three times along the way (gas, when I got where I was going, pee break on the way back). Parked in the garage when I got home. The next morning, it didn't start, so I took the other car to work. When I got home, it started right up and I moved it from garage to driveway. Yesterday was the first time I started/drove it since.

While waiting for the tow, I tried starting it a few times. It started twice, but couldn't hold idle.

My first thought is fuel pump, which is cool, since I'll need to drop the 1/4 full tank (kinda glad I didn't stop for gas before it stalled) and ieven then, it looks like getting to it, which is above the differential, is a bitch.

Internet research suggests a slight possibility it could be an ECU thing and switching between open and closed loop. If that's the case, unhooking battery for a few minutes might solve it. If it starts again, I should drive up the street and back a few times and log the fuel trims (if I can).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote