carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Motorcycles

I could swear I brought this up years ago, but probably due to a combination of laziness and poor search skills, I could not "dan" ( ) the thread I think exists.

Anyhow, I had mentioned before the idea of a BMW GS310 or equivalent. But with the Miata already as a toy car, I knew I'd never use it. Also, at the time I still drove my kids to school/camp/etc., so the use case was low. I'm pretty sure you guys convinced me that it was a bad idea, and that may still be the case.

No longer with an open-air weekend toy, and not in the mood to spend several tens of thousands on one anytime soon, I happened to be browsing just for fun and my wife saw that and was remarkably excited about the idea of me getting one. Also, even more surprisingly, she seemed pleasantly surprised at the thought that a new motorcycle could be "only" $10k.

Anyhow, let's play ball for shits and giggles. In my complete ignorance, I am fairly convinced I want some type of "adventure" bike. Primarily because I want a bike that can do it all, still has some speed, is light and easy to maneuver, and has a more upright position.

My commute to work is long and nearly all highway, so I will probably never use it for that. It would be strictly a fun weekend toy or for quick errands like picking up a prescription or the missing ingredient for recipe. It will likely always be used on road, but the idea of a longer drive to a scenic spot in New England is a nice thought. Unlikely, but I would not quite say never.

From my quick reading, the BMW GS310 is overpriced and a bit underpowered. With a borderline-insulting lack of information and research in addition to literally zero experience, I'm settling somewhere between a Honda CB500X (~$7k) or a BMW F750 GS (~$10k). I have no need for a new bike, of course. Used probably makes a lot more sense.

I can't help it. I like to do this kind of thing.

Thoughts?
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
No motorcycle will feel underpowered if you haven't ridden before.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
No motorcycle will feel underpowered if you haven't ridden before.
Good to know.

What about the notion of just getting a (used & cheap) 250 or 300 vs a 500+?

Are they easier to ride beyond the likelihood of them being lighter?
Old 05-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Alan
Carmudgeon

People and cars do not respect motorcycles enough ... sorry but they are death machines where we live ...

Completely sucks but I have seen it too many times, a motorcycle is coming down a 40 mph road and what cuts in front of him, some idiot in a car. Literally just saw a guy lying on the ground after getting hit by a car 2 weeks ago in a 30mph street.

We all need to move to where Lou lives
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I could swear I brought this up years ago, but probably due to a combination of laziness and poor search skills, I could not "dan" ( ) the thread I think exists.
Is this the post you’re thinking of?

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...8&postcount=23
Old 05-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Is this the post you’re thinking of?

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...8&postcount=23
Ha! That's awesome. (But no, that was not the post )

The second part is 100% true still, and is in fact what lead me to reading up on motorcycles.

And to be fair, if I had a sportscar I wanted, my interest would be vastly lower. So as a very young, kid-free person, I can totally see why I said what I said at the time.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
dan
redefined

Ok this one maybe

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...6&postcount=13
Old 05-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #8
dan
redefined

I would think a kid-free person would be much more willing to have a motorcycle that a parent
Old 05-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
FC, I love motorcycling, much more than driving...

Don't think about which "bike", learn and perfect the skill... Or even before that, try it out and see if it is for you.

You'll gravitate to the right bikes over time. What you learn on, matters less, other than low power, light weight and smooth operation will help. Take the weekend MSF course... That only qualifies you to go around the block. Get a versys 300 or cb500 (f or x), quite used, or similar... Buy a ton of safety gear (more important than your first bike). Start going around the block, widening your circle, gaining experience and speed. Do that for a few months.. Then you'll be ready to shop for a bike. Don't do an FC and start thinking back from your presumed use case. Just learn the skill safely and enjoy. You won't burn much money, but it will require genuine focus.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
People and cars do not respect motorcycles enough ... sorry but they are death machines where we live ...

Completely sucks but I have seen it too many times, a motorcycle is coming down a 40 mph road and what cuts in front of him, some idiot in a car. Literally just saw a guy lying on the ground after getting hit by a car 2 weeks ago in a 30mph street.

We all need to move to where Lou lives
That is always a real fear of mine. But being a cyclist is in many ways worse.