carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #21
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Oh crap. Yeah I'm slow.

And what a deal!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Technically, it was Equ's partner C. but yes, lots of luck. We also bought a nearly new GTI with diff for the same amount. So all evened out.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #23
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Unless you can find one at CarMax with their warranty, I'd stay far far away from a used Land Rover product…

I know that Doug Demuro's is older, but his blogs about his Range Rover give a good feel for what to expect...

I think after your shopping experience, I'm just going to go ahead and bump this... CarMax warranty FTW.

(For what it's worth, this is years-old data, but when I was in the biz our 3rd party extended warranties were crazy expensive for used Jags and Rovers. It would cost 25-30% of the price of the cars you are looking at. No clue what CarMax is selling theirs for these days. Sounds like they used to be cheap but caught the error after the Demuro stories popped up and then they increased the rates)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I think after your shopping experience, I'm just going to go ahead and bump this... CarMax warranty FTW.

(For what it's worth, this is years-old data, but when I was in the biz our 3rd party extended warranties were crazy expensive for used Jags and Rovers. It would cost 25-30% of the price of the cars you are looking at. No clue what CarMax is selling theirs for these days. Sounds like they used to be cheap but caught the error after the Demuro stories popped up and then they increased the rates)
Land Rover products are far more unreliable pre-2010.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #25
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Technically, it was Equ's partner C. but yes, lots of luck. We also bought a nearly new GTI with diff for the same amount. So all evened out.
What is a partner C .. sorry if most understand this but I'm not quite getting this ... TIA
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #26
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
What is a partner C .. sorry if most understand this but I'm not quite getting this ... TIA
His gal, his squeeze, his broad.

(No disrespect intended at all, I've met her and she's lovely, smart, and generally awesome)
Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #27
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
His gal, his squeeze, his broad.

(No disrespect intended at all, I've met her and she's lovely, smart, and generally awesome)
Why, thank you, Mr. Plaz, you're quite the gentleman. Yes, the TDI was hers, now the GTI is.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

So my full-sized RR madness continues... I've learned a bit over the last couple of months.

I have now driven a couple of competitor cars.

- 2014 JGC Overland (air suspension and a bunch of goodies) but V6 model. Out of budget but gave me an idea. Not as rolly-polly as the full-sized RR, more like a RR Sport. A chunky brick. Pentastar V6 did not sound or feel good enough for 5000lbs (and this was a 30k mile CPO car). Not enough torque off the line, and then not a smooth revver that you want to see zing. Maybe feels better with the diesel - but the FCA diesel seems highly questionable. So this leaves the hemi 5.7, which IMHO, this SUV needs to get out of its own way. Generally felt OK to drive/cannot go wrong, but nothing special either. Dislikes other than the engine: Visibility (especially fat A-pillar) and Roominess/Space.

LX-470: I had high hopes. The current LX570 is hideous. The really old LX or LC's are 6-cylinder and likely insufficient. This could have been the sweet spot. A real disappointment. Supposed the "Land Cruiser". This one was at 90k miles (and not cheap!) but many small things were wrong. Toyota V8 was a good engine, though this older version was not sufficient for the highway. Gearing & torque felt peppy up to 40mph or so. Generally comparable to the full-sized RR, but overall I felt like I was driving something that was rental car quality.

Footnote: I tried a 2005. 2006 & 2007 get more hp not much more torque. Even if that solves the power issues, I still feel like it's driving nothing special at all. I guess that's what Toyota is about. JGC - while not the same size - is better to drive - by a lot. And the RR's are better still.

Splitting hairs between boxy last-gen RR's:

2010+ : The base/HSE trim V8 gets far stronger but has real issues reported in the forums. Same with the supercharged. The only way to be safe with the 5.0 engine is to get a last MY LR4 like FC. Those are still in way too much demand and have family wear/tear on them. As well as a third row that I do not want. Not digging that much glass up above either. Never driven an LR4 but should be pretty similar to the RR. The original RR that I was thinking of was a 11 HSE Lux that someone I know was selling. I can transfer his warranty, but the truck has not tow bar, no HK, no rear diff. It's much more a lux version. So I think I'm going to pass on 2010+/

Focusing on 2007 to 2009.... These engines are *supposed* to be reliable. Either 4.4 base/HSE or 4.2 Supercharged. I looked at two or three HSE's, and unlike the 2010+ every single time I drive a 4.4, it feels insufficient. Also the handling feels really quite bad.

This leaves the 2007 to 2009 Supercharged. The electronics do feel out-of-date, but if they have been kept up, these are the ones I like driving (I'm sure I wouldn't mind the 2010+ Supercharged either). It's not just the power, but also some kind of firmer suspension that makes it easier for me to drive. I get comfortable in them very quickly. Supposedly the 4.2 SC is no less reliable than the 4.4 and the mpg's are similar. So I've definitely narrowed down. They can be had in the high-teens for 80-90k miles. I just have to get comfortable with service histories or come across the "right one" - if there is such a thing. I've found one black/black that I like, but would really prefer a lighter interior.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Here's where I would probably just go buy a Toyota 4-Runner or something.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #30
equ
Alphanumeric

That's a thought that occurred to me yesterday as I was let down by the LX470. OTOH, if the top Toyota is not that great... Only the slightly smaller size might save the 4runner.

The 4runner needs to be chosen carefully. Locked 4wd systems are not what I need. So the pickup/Tacoma's will also not work. Low range is a nicety, but what I really need is a good/AWD center differential and ideally a rear differential (like the S4 set-up but with ground clearance). Essentially what FC needed without the 3rd row.

Some 4runner's have that. Almost all are v6. The rare v8 4runners? Good luck finding one. Seems to be much easier to find used Euro-luxury goods rather than Honda/Toyota fare and when they are used, they have been heavily used and still pricey.