carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
MotoMan...

I've mentioned that a good friend of mine has become an auto writer and has access to the automakers press fleets...

Well, he's now doing a video podcast called MotoMan -- it just launched this week. Here's the link to the first episode http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle...s-luxury-94271

I've known "MotoMan" for almost 18 years. We met while working at the BMW in Munich in '92, and he was the best man at my wedding. He's also the one that got me an R8 for a weekend last summer
Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
I watched the whole thing. Pretty good segment and one where your friend brings up a good point. . . one I've thought about for a while.

I don't particularly care about the badging on the car. I care more about the car itself. My tastes run more toward sporty and performance so these cushy "luxury sedans" aren't my thing. But, for instance, if my ZHP had a giant blue oval Ford badge on it I wouldn't much care assuming it was the same freaking car. Extra bonus if it cost less because it didn't have a fancy badge. I don't really want to pay more for some badge cache.

That said, a bit of cache is nice. But I don't particularly associate it with a badge, mostly the car itself. Going with the Ford example again, I think the Ford GT supercar has enough cache regardless of who made the car.

Same thing with a Corvette, especially the Z06 and ZR1 models.

Or Honda's S2000, sure, it's just a Honda but it's a special car in its own right that it'll turn a few heads and cause people to pay some attention.

So good for Hyundai that they were able to figure out how to deliver a sedan like this for the price they are.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote