carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #61
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Never seen palm trees growing in MD before.
When I was in Kindergarten, the house I grew up was used for 2 scenes in a movie. In high school, the local video store had a copy of the movie -- so I rented it one night. Horrible movie, but the 2 scenes were of someone walking up to the front door, and another with a conversation in the kitchen.

That scene was supposed to be on Long Island. Our house was in Phoenix -- and we had palm trees in the front yard, visible when the person was walking up to the front door. I've since been to Long Island -- no palm trees.

In case anyone is interested, the movie was called Cloud Dancer and starred David Carradine (a bad copy is avail on You Tube -- linked below -- I warn you that the production values are similar to 70s TV shows). I remember my Mom picked me up early from school on one of the filming days so we could eat lunch back set (there were tables set up in the street in front of our neighbors house, with food catered). I was in Kindergarten and thought it was awesome.

Edit -- both scenes are just after the 21 minute mark…

Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #62
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The world is so over burgundy as a color. Except of course for wine.
Different strokes I guess... I've always liked Chiaretto and thought it looked really good on the e39.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #63
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Different strokes I guess... I've always liked Chiaretto and thought it looked really good on the e39.
I'm not sure I like that either.

If I was ordering one of the available colors back in the day it would have been LeMans or the dark gray that was only available on the 00's.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #64
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
In case anyone is interested, the movie was called Cloud Dancer and starred David Carradine (a bad copy is avail on You Tube -- linked below -- I warn you that the production values are similar to 70s TV shows). I remember my Mom picked me up early from school on one of the filming days so we could eat lunch back set (there were tables set up in the street in front of our neighbors house, with food catered). I was in Kindergarten and thought it was awesome.
I remember that movie. Some good aerobatic scenes
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #65
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...16/overview/#1

Made me look up some review and comparison tests when I saw what some of these 2010's are going for.

Inside line seemed to love it at the time and its the last iteration of the sweet 6.2. Looks like they made a heap of suspension changes on the 2010 as well to make it handle way better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINMe7K_aL0

Has me thinking even with no third pedal.

Also they got rid of the torque converter in the trans and finally killed the awful lag in shifts that came with these cars.

From 102K to 39K with ONLY 35K miles on the car!!

Last edited by Theo; 01-15-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #66
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...16/overview/#1

Made me look up some review and comparison tests when I saw what some of these 2010's are going for.

Inside line seemed to love it at the time and its the last iteration of the sweet 6.2. Looks like they made a heap of suspension changes on the 2010 as well to make it handle way better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINMe7K_aL0

Has me thinking even with no third pedal.

Also then got rid of the torque converter in the trans and finally killed the awful lag in shifts that came with these cars.

Sweet. I covet the wagon.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #67
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
That quickly. That's one of the things that makes me leery of them. OTOH, 4 door AMG variants a few years older are really attractive to me at face value and I don't know why. But all I can remember are all the bad things Nick has said about his parents' experiences with AMG stuff when they were under warranty. I know he said a few good things here and there, but it's only the bad stuff I remember.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #68
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I've always been fond of fast full size sedans. That's a big part of the attraction to the M5. Chevy SS, too. And why I wanted the G8 GXP. And why I had a Q45.

I'd prefer to limit the number of vehicles. For even money, one car is better than two and a two seater would necessitate a second car. That's okay, but not a first choice.

The Boxster/Cayman has never done anything for me emotionally and I did not enjoy the two years I competed in JV's 986. I always thought it would be a nice car for driving around as a car (rather than a competition vehicle), but it always left me feeling cold and indifferent. On paper, it's positioned really well, but I think, "Do I want this?" and the answer is usually, "no." Shrug.
If the Q45 is of interest, try the M37 or M37x - they're fantastically fast and comfortable. My father in-law had one, but sold it once his eyesight became compromised. I liked driving it.

In your price range, a clean, late model example should be an easy find.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #69
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
If the Q45 is of interest, try the M37 or M37x - they're fantastically fast and comfortable. My father in-law had one, but sold it once his eyesight became compromised. I liked driving it.

In your price range, a clean, late model example should be an easy find.
I had a first gen Q45. It was a lot of fun in the mid 90s. Wasn't too fond of how often I had to replace the engine, but warranty coverage was nice. The latter Qs tried too hard to be Lexus like.

Always kinda forget about the M. Hmm.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #70
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Wasn't too fond of how often I had to replace the engine, but warranty coverage was nice. .
That is priceless. I need to remember that one.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote