carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #141
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
You’re probably getting the best out of the system not having the run flat tires.

Why bmw is so hooked on run flats is beyond me, I get the ‘no spare we are saving money per car’ thing but nowadays they figured out you charge $150 and you get a spare (which I went for even with the runflats)... I want regular tires

I’d like to believe it might be for safety reasons given a blow out with a run flat might be safer.
Seriously. Although I think equ's F30 w/ track pack has non-run flat PSS tires
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #142
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I haven't tried an F10 with the active suspension bits. The roads around here are pretty awful, but the biggest complaint I have about them isn't the ride--it's the impact (literally) on wheels. I suppose turning down the damping could theoretically help with that, but idk that there's anything you can do when it comes to a 20 or 21" wheel and a 35 series tire.

I really don't mind the Golf R on full stiff, even on jouncy roads.
Ah, so your Golf R has adjustable suspension. That likely rides better than our passive GTI setup.

The f10 doesn't have crazy low profiles. Even with 19's, the fronts are 245/40. The rears are 275/35, but that's .35 of something as wide as a steamroller. I've not had tire or wheel damage (other than light curbing) on that car. Non runflats don't damage very easily (see my next post).

Last edited by equ; 02-28-2019 at 12:13 PM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #143
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Why bmw is so hooked on run flats is beyond me, I get the ‘no spare we are saving money per car’ thing but nowadays they figured out you charge $150 and you get a spare (which I went for even with the runflats)... I want regular tires

I’d like to believe it might be for safety reasons given a blow out with a run flat might be safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Seriously. Although I think equ's F30 w/ track pack has non-run flat PSS tires
Not sure of bmw's objectives. Plenty of their customers do prize "convenience" above performance or even comfort, so I could see it not being an evil calculation. My runflats got damaged at a dramatically higher rate compared to regular tires, I'm going to guess 2x or 3x. That's because there is little area available for deformation. A regular tire can briefly be very out of shape over a pothole, a runflat has much less freedom to change shape due to its stiff sidewalls, getting damaged in the process. I'm not sure if they run for less miles, people say so, I don't have a view on that. I've also had some scary cornering on early generation potenza 050's on cold, bumpy corners. Early turanzas were complete garbage. I also had winter dunlop runflats that rode like concrete. Things got a bit better with michelin ps2 ZP. Overall, runflats
* reduce performance, especially with bumps involved
* ride worse
* have a higher fault/bubble rate

My experience with frequent bubbling (2007 through 2009, until l fully gave up on them) is corroborated by comments I've read from a tire engineer who said that they have been great for the bottom line. High prices and frequent replacement, what's not to like?

It's simple for me. Every time I get a bmw, I get rid of runflats asap. Fortunately, this one didn't come with them. I still have to go through my usual second step of "building" a spare though. For the f10, I skipped bimmerzone and for less money, built a spare with an OEM alloy beautiful emergency wheel. The 340i track handling is less lucky with its 18" minimum, I cannot transfer that nice spare I built. So I've ordered an 18" steel wheel (X5 size), centering rings (74.1 to 72.6) and a 145/70/18 from Tirerack.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #144
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Ah, so your Golf R has adjustable suspension. That likely rides better than our passive GTI setup.

The f10 doesn't have crazy low profiles. Even with 19's, the fronts are 245/40. The rears are 275/35, but that's .35 of something as wide as a steamroller. I've not had tire or wheel damage (other than light curbing) on that car. Non runflats don't damage very easily (see my next post).
Yes, all of the Mark VII Golf Rs come with adjustable suspension; or at least, adjustable damping. I don't think it's more sophisticated than that.

I haven't driven a Mark VII GTI (have I?), so I can't really compare. It seems to me, though, on any setting other than stiff the car has a weird, not quite right feeling to it; like it wallows too much.

Maybe there is a way to tune a suspension so that each of the various different options feels "right" with the rest of the componentry. I just haven't found a car yet where that's the case.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #145
JST

Quote:
Not sure of bmw's objectives. Plenty of their customers do prize "convenience" above performance or even comfort, so I could see it not being an evil calculation. My runflats got damaged at a dramatically higher rate compared to regular tires, I'm going to guess 2x or 3x. That's because there is little area available for deformation. A regular tire can briefly be very out of shape over a pothole, a runflat has much less freedom to change shape due to its stiff sidewalls, getting damaged in the process. I'm not sure if they run for less miles, people say so, I don't have a view on that. I've also had some scary cornering on early generation potenza 050's on cold, bumpy corners. Early turanzas were complete garbage. I also had winter dunlop runflats that rode like concrete. Things got a bit better with michelin ps2 ZP. Overall, runflats
* reduce performance, especially with bumps involved
* ride worse
* have a higher fault/bubble rate

My experience with frequent bubbling (2007 through 2009, until l fully gave up on them) is corroborated by comments I've read from a tire engineer who said that they have been great for the bottom line. High prices and frequent replacement, what's not to like?

It's simple for me. Every time I get a bmw, I get rid of runflats asap. Fortunately, this one didn't come with them. I still have to go through my usual second step of "building" a spare though. For the f10, I skipped bimmerzone and for less money, built a spare with an OEM alloy beautiful emergency wheel. The 340i track handling is less lucky with its 18" minimum, I cannot transfer that nice spare I built. So I've ordered an 18" steel wheel (X5 size), centering rings (74.1 to 72.6) and a 145/70/18 from Tirerack.
Did you already order the tire? I've got one (dismounted) sitting in my garage. Actually I've got two, though now that I think about it one may be 125 and the other 135/70 18. I'd have to check. The bigger one is the one that I used with an 18" X5 rim for my E90 M3 spare.

EDIT: Yes, it is 135/70 18. Also it's 10 years old.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...ghlight=maaxis
Old 02-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #146
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Did you already order the tire? I've got one (dismounted) sitting in my garage. Actually I've got two, though now that I think about it one may be 125 and the other 135/70 18. I'd have to check. The bigger one is the one that I used with an 18" X5 rim for my E90 M3 spare.

EDIT: Yes, it is 135/70 18. Also it's 10 years old.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...ghlight=maaxis
So, wait, you have both the wheel and the tire? Or just the 135/70/18 tire? Oh man, I could have used that. That said, 5" wheel and 135 section scared me. I searched desperately for 18x4" BMW wheel but cannot find such a thing, ordered that big thing last night from FCP Euro.

I also ordered the tire but it's pick up from Tirerack (so I could easily cancel). Yes, first time picking up from Tirerack. I wouldn't have bothered for saving $18 on a $120 spare tire, but I'm also buying a winter set where the savings become significant. $100 in taxes (yay, Delaware) and -$80 shipping refund, so I'll drive 100mi each way to save $200, I have a new car to get used to (that I don't drive to work or anything) and not a lot planned for Saturday morning.

I'm attracted to the idea of saving a few bucks, but between 10-yr old and that stretch, I think I'll just buy the new tire. If it's both tire & wheel, that's a lot more attractive, but I'll have to return ship a wheel. Sucks that I can't use the beautiful f10 spare, much nicer, lighter wheel. I was almost going to try it with spacers just hoping. Apparently, not even every 18" wheel apparently clears the 14" calipers so I'm passing on that exercise - I also don't have spacers and long bolts at the ready.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #147
equ
Alphanumeric

This is a nice 18" wheel, I just saw it through your bimmerfest links. Didn't know about it and the 0.5" narrowness would help a bit... Though at $236 over the $86 I'm paying for the steelie, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Looks just like the nice one I have for the f10:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/36116796147/

Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #148
JST

Quote:
So, wait, you have both the wheel and the tire? Or just the 135/70/18 tire? Oh man, I could have used that. That said, 5" wheel and 135 section scared me. I searched desperately for 18x4" BMW wheel but cannot find such a thing, ordered that big thing last night from FCP Euro.

I also ordered the tire but it's pick up from Tirerack (so I could easily cancel). Yes, first time picking up from Tirerack. I wouldn't have bothered for saving $18 on a $120 spare tire, but I'm also buying a winter set where the savings become significant. $100 in taxes (yay, Delaware) and -$80 shipping refund, so I'll drive 100mi each way to save $200, I have a new car to get used to (that I don't drive to work or anything) and not a lot planned for Saturday morning.

I'm attracted to the idea of saving a few bucks, but between 10-yr old and that stretch, I think I'll just buy the new tire. If it's both tire & wheel, that's a lot more attractive, but I'll have to return ship a wheel. Sucks that I can't use the beautiful f10 spare, much nicer, lighter wheel. I was almost going to try it with spacers just hoping. Apparently, not even every 18" wheel apparently clears the 14" calipers so I'm passing on that exercise - I also don't have spacers and long bolts at the ready.
Sorry, I just have the tire--the wheel I used to make up my Tesla spare, which I sold a bit ago.

But I had the same X5 steelie that you did, and I didn't think there was any issue with the stretch. Check those pics in the thread I posted; it was really not that bad looking.

Happy to send the tire your way, but you're probably better off buying new.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #149
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Sorry, I just have the tire--the wheel I used to make up my Tesla spare, which I sold a bit ago.

But I had the same X5 steelie that you did, and I didn't think there was any issue with the stretch. Check those pics in the thread I posted; it was really not that bad looking.

Happy to send the tire your way, but you're probably better off buying new.
Agree the 135 stretch was not bad. Tempted, it's 0.5" short but that (& 135) also mean that it's smaller... I guess it's a bit too late for me to change plans. Thanks for the thought.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #150
Alan
Carmudgeon

Equ, how do you secure the spare in the car, the way bmw did it on the 5er is to raise the entire trunk floor. I never use the trunk so it doesn’t bother me that there is less storage but I can see it might bother others.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote