carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Ok Loretta ...
High heeled shoes and low-necked sweaters FTW.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
First off.... Thanks guys.

I've gone on and on about the Miatas for probably several years now on here so thank you for your indulgence. It will be nice to get back into one and I'm liking the improvements the NC has brought to table.

It's a good fit for me and our family from almost any perspective: fun, cost, reliability, just-enough-practicality, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
One silly question,

Do all three of you fit in the MX-5 or is it just two seats??

Good luck with the purchase
Ha! Thanks. . . no it's just a 2-seater.

I think ZBB and I are in, or will be in a similar situation. He with his Boxster and me with the Miata.

We have my wife's Volvo wagon which will hold the whole family with the dog in the way back cargo area. On the weekends that car is used almost exclusively and I rarely drive my car as we tend to go places on the weekend as a family.

We have my Jeep that offers foul weather capabilities (oh, plus accommodating offroading and camping activities). The Jeep seats two most of the time as I leave the back seat out. But, it takes 5 min to toss the rear seat in the Wrangler and then it will seat 4 people.

So, with two vehicles seating 4 people it seemed fine to get a 2-seater sports car.

Besides, 98%+ of the time I'm only driving a max of 2 people around in "my" cars anyways, whether it was the BMW or the Jeep. And usually it's just taking my son to pre-school in the morning. Then I'm driving solo the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ
It's amazing how hard it's become to find a decent car at that price point.
Mmmm... yes and no.

In Miataland you can get some not-too-high milage Miatas for decent money. Before we realized we could get an NC I was looking at the previous generation NBs. There were several 50-60k milage '01s going for $7-8k with out too much looking. They are still solid cars and the Miatas have a reputation for being reliable. If you take one for a drive and everything "seems fine" then it's likely to be a solid car for many years to come.

And I think the prices on the NC's will start breaking under the $10k mark sometime in 2012.

In any case, for future family cars I think we will be sticking in the used-car-price-range of about $15k. It seems like you can get a decent, slightly used car for those prices with a lot of life left on them.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote