carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
The hard fact is that we have a pretty firm price point. . . .

We're aiming for ~$12k-ish TTL out the door. . . We might bump up a bit if we find THE car but we're not doing $14-15K+ cars. This means a sale price in the $11-11.5k range, even then a $12k would take another $1k for TTL approximately which is pushing our comfort level. The other thing is that we could do ~$12k cash (which I'm really looking forward to) and not impact any other financial goals (savings, investing, home improvement, family vacation, etc. etc. etc.) or incur any car payments.

My wife and I had been talking about buying our next car for cash and break out of the car payment loop. So I'm really excited to be able to do this with the Miata. With no payments we can start saving up for my wife's next car. But that's a side note. . .

The big idea is to slide from the BMW to the Miata with none-to-minimal extra cost.

Thus: given a $11-12k budget what can I get?

The '09's are going $17.6k - $19.2k according to Edmund's TMV for private party and dealer pricing respectively.

So, those are too expensive. And if I'm going to get an NC1 then . . . why not get the cheapest NC1 I can (with the goodies I want) which would be a high(er) milage '06.

So I'm looking for:

2006 MX-5 in Sport or GT trim (they come standard with the 6 spd and 17" wheels)
~60k milage to keep the price down
- preference for the GT to get the canvas roof, but not critical
- preference for the LSD, which I think is doable in our price range

That's it, I don't care about anything else. Don't care about the Premium packages. Don't care about leather seats or Bose stereo, or the Advanced Keyless Entry system, or the HID Xenon headlights, or anything else.

Besides, you are right, the big shift is the NB vs. NC. Not the NC1 vs NC2. There are some very nice differences between the two iterations of the NC but they aren't worth the $5k+ price difference between an '06 and and '09.

And the big deal that irks everyone with the NC1 is the suspension is too soft . . . which is annoying but "fixable" for much less than the price difference between NC1 and NC2. So $1k worth of springs, shocks, and sways and the Miata enthusiasts are happy. Heck, people report that installing a set of RX-8 swaybars is a huge bang-for-the-buck improvement. Especially at $100 for a set of used swaybars. The springs and shocks are still soft but the car is flatter in the turns and the transitional response is greatly improved. I'm not going to be tracking or autocrossing so I'm looking for a very nicely balanced street setup with minimal investment. I figure I'll to the swaybars, which are cheap, and then fab up my own chassis bracing based off of existing designs. I'll have to do it out of steel but it'll probably add less than 15-20 lb. and cost ~$20. Much cheaper than the $500+ bracing sets and again, the bracing is said to help the car big time.

Once the NC2's drop in price more due to depreciation they'll be the one to get. But right now, for me it's the NC1.

As we were trying to sell the BMW I was poking around at what Miata prices were and most of the NCs looked like they were going for the $14-15k range asking price. Given that I was concerned the BMW would sell for $9-10k I pretty much wrote off the NCs and started looking at low milage NBs, which is what I used to have.

But then the BMW sold for $11k and I started noticing some dealer asking prices on the NC1 in the $12.9-$13.9k range. If that's asking, sale prices will be less and private party should be less, yet. So the NC suddenly became viable and I've become maddeningly fixated on them since. It's stupid and ridiculous but these cars just speak to me.

Just gotta be patient, which will be the hard part. This will be happening in the next few months.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
We found our Miata this weekend. Nothing is finalized until it's paid for and the title transferred but . . . . I'm very optimistic. We're just waiting for funds to transfer from our ING account to our BOA account and then the seller and I will met at a local BOA branch on Wednesday.

So this might be a little premature, but . .

It's a 2007 Maita Touring

- 6 spd manual
- 10 spoke wheels
- Suspension Package w/ LSD
- cloth interior
- Galaxy Gray (metallic gray)
- 54,000 miles

For $11.5k.

Apart from a nick in one wheel and a small scratch on a side mirror the car looks to be in VERY good condition. The top is perfect and doesn't even look worn. The tires are almost new, lots of tread depth. The interior is very clean. The outside is a bit dirty (not surprising with Seattle area weather and wet roads) but the body panels are all nice and straight. The car drove well on the extended test drive we did with the top down. Engine sounded as it should, no weird noises. No creaking or squeaking from the chassis or interior at all. It tracked will with no vibrations. And it had a nice amount of punch to it, too (yeah, I know, it's all relative).

Anyways, the next few days will be tough waiting. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this. Hope it doesn't go sideways. I don't think it will, the seller had been sitting on the car for a while and seemed happy when we made the deal.

I'll post some pix a few days after we get it.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Awesome, preliminary congrats! Very excited for you and it sounds like quite a deal. It's amazing how hard it's become to find a decent car at that price point.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
kognito
older fart than ZBB

One silly question,

Do all three of you fit in the MX-5 or is it just two seats??

Good luck with the purchase
Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Congrats!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Nice Lupe, looking forward to lots of pics and write-ups.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Congrats! You love these cars so much it's good to see you back in one again.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
One silly question,

Do all three of you fit in the MX-5 or is it just two seats??

Good luck with the purchase
He's not the only one here with a two seater and a 3-person family...

I pick my daughter up from day care in the Boxster -- and she has to explain to her friends why she gets to ride in the "front" seat -- she tells them "its OK, there is no back seat in my daddy's car."
Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Congrats! You got back to where you once belonged.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Congrats! You got back to where you once belonged.
Ok Loretta ...
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote