carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 11-02-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
mquetel
Realist

Claying product from Griots...

Is this a good idea or a bad one? Anyone have experience with using this method?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10631

mquetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
I was gonna get that but quite a few detailing experts here (well the 'fest back then) told me not to... the clay bar is awesome though, but nobody liked the machine claying pad...

--Andrew
Old 11-02-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
RKT BMR
Banned

The clay holder pad is a waste of money. Got one, tried it out, and now it sits on the shelf. In fact, pay the shipping, and you can have mine. It's using valuable shelf space, but I just can't bring myself to toss it, given what I paid for it.

Three things that aren't good about it:
  • No tactile feedback... This is the biggest one. You have no idea how dirty, and whether or not your getting clean, the surface. The typical "by hand" method allows you to feel where the clay is catching, then the point at which the surface has been successfully cleaned as you go back and forth, back and forth, over the trouble spot.
  • The clay easily slips out of the cup, fouling the foam pad and smearing on the paint surface. Ironically, this problem only gets worse and worse the more lubricant you use -- to try and avoid having the clay bind on the surface.
  • It's wasteful. A small amount of clay, properly used, can do the entire car. I usually break off about 20-25% of the bar, use it to clay the whole car, then discard. This thing requires the entire claybar, and then it's contaminated, and should be discarded.
RKT BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
SpaceMonk
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
The clay holder pad is a waste of money. Got one, tried it out, and now it sits on the shelf. In fact, pay the shipping, and you can have mine. It's using valuable shelf space, but I just can't bring myself to toss it, given what I paid for it.

Three things that aren't good about it:
  • No tactile feedback... This is the biggest one. You have no idea how dirty, and whether or not your getting clean, the surface. The typical "by hand" method allows you to feel where the clay is catching, then the point at which the surface has been successfully cleaned as you go back and forth, back and forth, over the trouble spot.
  • The clay easily slips out of the cup, fouling the foam pad and smearing on the paint surface. Ironically, this problem only gets worse and worse the more lubricant you use -- to try and avoid having the clay bind on the surface.
  • It's wasteful. A small amount of clay, properly used, can do the entire car. I usually break off about 20-25% of the bar, use it to clay the whole car, then discard. This thing requires the entire claybar, and then it's contaminated, and should be discarded.
Send it back to Griots for a full refund. That's what I did with mine.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:45 PM   #5
mquetel
Realist

Thanks for the feedback. Since you mention it, I can understand the importance of tactile feedback.
mquetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
SteveM
Car Smitten

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 330i 6sp SP no sunrf!
That's a good idea to only use 25% or so of the clay and then discard it. I had some Griot's clay that I hadn't used for a year or so and it got real gooey to the point of it almost being unusable.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:06 AM   #7
RKT BMR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
That's a good idea to only use 25% or so of the clay and then discard it. I had some Griot's clay that I hadn't used for a year or so and it got real gooey to the point of it almost being unusable.
Thanks for the props... I can't take too much credit, though, as it's just stuff I learned from others around the net

I'm curious about your gooey clay, though... That sounds really strange! I've never had that happen. I follow the instuctions on the jar, and store it with some Speedshine in the container. The stuff is not water soluable (as anyone who has ever tried to remove residue from their paint can attest!), and doesn't seem to be "speedshine soluable" either. I've never had mine go gooey on me -- quite the opposite... had a wrapped, unused bar dry out and get too hard.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:08 AM   #8
RKT BMR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
Thanks for the feedback. Since you mention it, I can understand the importance of tactile feedback.
I'd say it's about the most important aspect of the claying process!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #9
SteveM
Car Smitten

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 330i 6sp SP no sunrf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
Thanks for the props... I can't take too much credit, though, as it's just stuff I learned from others around the net

I'm curious about your gooey clay, though... That sounds really strange! I've never had that happen. I follow the instuctions on the jar, and store it with some Speedshine in the container. The stuff is not water soluable (as anyone who has ever tried to remove residue from their paint can attest!), and doesn't seem to be "speedshine soluable" either. I've never had mine go gooey on me -- quite the opposite... had a wrapped, unused bar dry out and get too hard.
I had it stored in the plastic tub with about 3/8" of speedshine in the bottom of the container. I left it this way in the garage cabinet for 9-12 months or so. When I went to use it, it was the consistency of freshly chewed bubble gum. It stuck to my hands and was darn near impossible to get off. Needless to say, I didn't use that clay, I just tossed it. I had a slightly newer piece stored the same way, and it was gooey, but not nearly as bad as the older tub. I threw it away after I used it last also.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #10
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I have one of those too. It does the same thing Rkt's does. Sits on a shelf. You can have it.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote