carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #371
JST

Are you going to pay for autopilot? I’m on the fence about trading the Model S on one—the range and smaller size and AWD will be nice, but I’m concerned it won’t be a great trip car.

Salesman is bringing one to the house Monday night so I can test fit my luggage.

LMK if you need a referral code; if you get the Performance that will give you free supercharging for life.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #372
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Nope on the autopilot. You?

I didn't know about the supercharging!

Wait, I'm confused

Quote:
Tesla Adds Lifetime Free Supercharging For All Model 3 Performance Owners
Quote:
Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance. After September 16, 2018, full unlimited Supercharging will go away and owners will be able to give friends one year of unlimited Supercharging.
What!?

Also: I'm wondering how much faster the Performance version really will be. Real world times might end up being closer. The RWD version is way faster than advertised.

Last edited by rumatt; 08-11-2018 at 09:26 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #373
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Wow! Quite a bit happened on this thread and the real world today... Excited for you guys, the reviews have really been stellar. If it's that much fun to drive, I could overlook secondary controls and teething issues. Heck, I even enjoyed driving a tippy-toppy (yet at least RWD and strong regen on lift-throttle) i3.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #374
rumatt
Mugwump

I also really liked the white interior. I think it looked much better, and more modern than the wood trim and black. But

A) it costs $1500
B) I can't imagine it's going to look as good as black in 5 years.

But I'm tempted anyway.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #375
JST

I think if you order by 9/16 with a code, you get free unlimited supercharging, but only on the Performance.

The white interior is cool (also probably literally), but I’m worried about staining. The sales guy swears to me it’s not an issue but I have my doubts. He has not met my kids.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #376
JST

Oh, and no on autopilot. I didn’t particularly like it the few times I’ve tried it.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #377
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I also really liked the white interior. I think it looked much better, and more modern than the wood trim and black. But

A) it costs $1500
B) I can't imagine it's going to look as good as black in 5 years.

But I'm tempted anyway.
I would love a white interior but being you keep your cars pretty long I think it would drive you crazy how dirty it looks. I had a VERY light interior in my 535i and 550i and only had each one for 2 years, both interiors looked like they were discolored a bit ... not dirty looking because I keep my cars really clean but i guess you could say they got stained a bit by my jeans.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #378
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Fwiw, I ordered 2 weeks ago. Delivery window is Oct to Dec.

My order is autopilot enabled, but didn’t pay for vaporware full self driving. I went with the black interior — I’m also concerned that the white will stain (and there have been complaints about jeans leaving blueish hue on the white in the S and X). I also went with the regular dual motor — couldn’t justify the additional cost for P (free supercharging on the P wasn’t announced until 2 days after I ordered, but even then the cost doesn’t justify it - I ran some worst case estimates of how much Supercharging would cost for some trips and it’s very reasonable). This will be a faster car than my S.

And here”s a referral code for feee Supercharging: http://ts.la/matt7103

Last edited by ZBB; 08-12-2018 at 08:03 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #379
rumatt
Mugwump

I saw some staining videos but I couldn't figure out whether they were leather or fake leather. I assume the model 3 fake leather is more drain resident, but who knows. Either way I'm over it. I'm going black.

I don't know if I can swing the performance either. Given the ny state rebate, the performance would cost me $12k. That's hard to justify.

I also don't know if the performance version will be all that different at highway speeds. One review claimed that the rwd and non-p awd feel similar off the line but the dual motor helps a lot at highway speeds. It makes me wonder if the main difference of the non-p awd is that it's crippled at low speeds.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #380
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I saw some staining videos but I couldn't figure out whether they were leather or fake leather. I assume the model 3 fake leather is more drain resident, but who knows. Either way I'm over it. I'm going black.
I love the white interiors but my toddler would destroy it just by looking at it. Black seems like the right move.

This has me really wanting a Model X

Edit: there's a CPO 2016 Model X 90D locally available for what appears to be a reasonable price. 257 mile estimated range just isn't going to work.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote