carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #131
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
It's a big girl.
I like how you know me well enough to put things into terms I understand.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #132
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Yeah. I mentioned it to my wife. I'm still alive to type this, so that's a good sign.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #133
kognito
older fart than ZBB

So what goes away? FoST and/or Jag?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #134
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
So what goes away? FoST and/or Jag?
Would be a direct replacement for the FoST.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #135
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
The schnoz/hood is odd-looking (bulbous) to me. But otherwise I think it's really sharp in the darker colors.
Burgundy seems to be making a comeback. In the last week I've seen two burgundy 'stangs, a burgundy 'vette, and a burgundy Camaro.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #136
JST

Quote:
Would be a direct replacement for the FoST.
I'm confused about what we are talking about. A 6th Gen Camaro? Or a 986S?

The 986S seems like a direct replacement for the Jag, so I guess why not both?

My fundamental problem with the Camaro is (weirdly) the same as my fundamental problem with the Honda Accord: It could get 1 million miles to the gallon, go 0 to 60 in 1 second, and cost $5, and I still don't think I could bring myself to buy one.

But for people less blinkered than me, and more willing to grow a mullet, it seems like a good choice.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #137
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm confused about what we are talking about. A 6th Gen Camaro? Or a 986S?
Yes, but also don't forget Mustang GT, 350, Chevy SS, etc. Rememebr that I once cross shopped the non-Z06 C5 withe the E46 325xiT.

Quote:
The 986S seems like a direct replacement for the Jag, so I guess why not both?
I'm trying to figure out how to make it all work in my head. Don't forget the 1:1 replacement I want for the Jaguar is an early C3.

The conversation I had with my wife last night was interesting. She wants the car count at the house to drop below the current four, a new roof on the house and minimal, but TBD, additional out of pocket expense. If the car count drops to two, I can probably spend a little more without complaint.

In all this I'm also trying to figure out where I want to play in autocross again and at what prep and mental levels. My experiences the past few weeks are suggesting that I may be able to compete at a high level without my past negativity over undesirable results...as well as substantially lowered stress levels overall regardless of outcomes.

In a perfect world, I'd find a C3 convertible and build a streetable car for CAM and a truck/big SUV I could commute and tow the C3 with. But, I'd also have to add a trailer and the C3 would be a money pit for at least a year (the truck, too, probably since it would be well used) and I'd probably blow past my budget pretty quick.

So, what are the alternatives?

If the 986S goes to CS, it becomes very intriguing...especially if I have a codriver with the hardware to tow it. It would probably make a decent commuter. It fills the role of the Jaguar in some practical respects, but leaves a bit of an emotional void. If I need a four seater, I can probably add something at minimal expense that I could also use in the snow so the Boxster can stay home.

A new or newish Mustang or Camaro scratches most of the same itches plus a few others, but probably at considerably more expense up front. If I want to change up again in a few years, which is almost a certainty, the depreciation hit will be massive. With a 986S, it would be very slight at worst.

I should start putting a spreadsheet together.

Quote:
My fundamental problem with the Camaro is (weirdly) the same as my fundamental problem with the Honda Accord: It could get 1 million miles to the gallon, go 0 to 60 in 1 second, and cost $5, and I still don't think I could bring myself to buy one.

But for people less blinkered than me, and more willing to grow a mullet, it seems like a good choice.
I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb many years ago. It's very liberating.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #138
clyde
Chief title editor

Or does an E46 or later M3 start making sense, too? I don't want it to, but I think it might.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #139
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

This thread is slowly becoming relevant to my interests.

I will probably be in the market for a cheap used car in a little less than a year. Requirements are manual transmission, two doors, and fun/interesting/unique. I think the E46 M3 is still out of my price range, but I've occasionally window-shopped them just to see what's out there.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #140
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Or does an E46 or later M3 start making sense, too? I don't want it to, but I think it might.
Or maybe a well maintained, cosmetically flawless E46 330i with a racing pedigree?