carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
AF
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,606
Would you consider an Infiniti g37 convertible ? Itís sporty, has 4 seats and looks great IMO.
AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Would you consider an Infiniti g37 convertible ? Itís sporty, has 4 seats and looks great IMO.
I have a rusty iX and a decent E46 M3 that both need new homes.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
zach
swinging for the fences
 
zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 50i, e36 M3
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,529
Ferrari 456 GT
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Location: NY
Posts: 17,191
The tesla is great yet somehow boring, right? I still love it, but almost as if it's too dialed in. I don't have the desire to change anything on it - it just works great. I don't read the tesla forums. I just use it as an appliance. It's the new Honda Accord... that goes 0-60 in 4.1 seconds.


Regarding being bored... Seriously, can you build a garage? Somewhere? Garage = game changer.

I spent the last couple weekends working on my truck suspension and it was fun. Unfortunately I can really only fit one car in the garage at a time, so while the truck was in there I couldn't charge the tesla. I didn't really think that one through. But it's still better than not having a garage.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
In all seriousness, your place doesn't have a garage, right? So buying something old (a 928? Seriously?) that will break down all the time or at the very least have frequent niggling failures is going to get old really fast without a place to work on it. And do you really want to work on old cars, anyway?

I'm with you on the "I'm bored" thing, and that was part of the motivation for starting the build on the RX-8. Worst case it was going to keep me occupied for a few years and prevent me from buying something new and shiny.

Best case, it confirmed to me that I'm just not that into "new and shiny" anymore. But I've got the space to work on stuff, and I don't have a lot of other stuff taking up time (like kids and pet rats).

So, I dunno, my suggestion would be to do one of two things (or maybe both). 1) Find out what the various orgs have planned for track events this year, and take the Boxster out to see if it scratches the itch. If not, then 2) go drive an old (something) and see if that scratches the itch. Maybe an E36. Maybe an E46 M. But not, for the love of god, a 928.

So...my takeaway here is that you are definitely suggesting that I get a 928.

The garage thing is a constant annoyance. It is one of the reasons I would move, and I have been thinking about that. And, yeah, I do think it would be fun to be able to wrench on a car, esp now that the kids are older. But finding the right place in the right school district is...challenging.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I have a rusty iX and a decent E46 M3 that both need new homes.
Wait, which E46 M3? The white one?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Wait, which E46 M3? The white one?
Yes.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So...my takeaway here is that you are definitely suggesting that I get a 928.

The garage thing is a constant annoyance. It is one of the reasons I would move, and I have been thinking about that. And, yeah, I do think it would be fun to be able to wrench on a car, esp now that the kids are older. But finding the right place in the right school district is...challenging.
Building a garage is probably cheaper than moving if you are otherwise happy.

Exchanging from your house to a house of similar value would probably cost around $100k. Assuming that you could find a house you like without spending lots on top.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Building a garage is probably cheaper than moving if you are otherwise happy.

Exchanging from your house to a house of similar value would probably cost around $100k. Assuming that you could find a house you like without spending lots on top.
I mean if I moved I'd probably have to spend 600 or 800 more, but in theory it would have more space, too, and might be in a better school district, so it might be worth it.

A garage, standing alone, would be...150? Probably closer to 200 when you factor in work we'd want to do at the same time (i.e., repurposing the existing "garage" as living space.)

EDIT: IDK if I really want another E46 M3, but what are the details on that one?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean if I moved I'd probably have to spend 600 or 800 more, but in theory it would have more space, too, and might be in a better school district, so it might be worth it.

A garage, standing alone, would be...150? Probably closer to 200 when you factor in work we'd want to do at the same time (i.e., repurposing the existing "garage" as living space.)

EDIT: IDK if I really want another E46 M3, but what are the details on that one?
I started throwing together an ad, so this isn't 100%:

2002 BMW E46 M3
~104k miles

Alpine White
Slicktop
Black Leather interior with manual seats
Brushed aluminum trim (replaced the garbage titan shadow)

Modifications:
Autosolutions 20% SSK - I tried the UUC, Rogue, and BMW Performance - this kicks the crap out of all of them
EPIC Motorsports tune - completely changes the car
Koni shock absorbers
H&R front sway bar
Euro front bumper (no reflectors)
JBL MS-62c front components
Image Dynamics IDQ12v2 subwoofer in custom battery box
Kenwood XR4s amplifier
3M 35% Tint

Maintenance:
Beisan VANOS refresh
100% suspension refresh since 80k. Including:
Front control arms
Rear suspension balljoints/bushings
Subframe bushings
RTABs+shims
Rear subframe reinforcement
Rear wheel bearings replaced at ~102k
RF wheel bearing replaced at ~103k

Includes two remote keys and one non-remote key
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC