carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #41
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I did consider a Focus ST and a Fiesta ST. I've not driven a Fiesta. I've driven a couple Focus ST's. I do like them okay for what they are (kind of a better version of the Mazda), but the GTI is just better at everything than the Focus and they're much more comfortable. Same thing with the Mini. One of my good friends is a Mini tech and he likes how the cars drive but regularly reminds me not to buy one because they frequently go wrong and they are a PITA to work on.

Why no Subarus? Honestly I don't like the way they drive, I don't like the way they sound, and I don't like the way they look.

I'm glad some of you have had good experiences with modern BMWs. You're in the minority of the (unscientific) group I've polled. I race with and work with a lot of people with the latest few generations of 3 series and constantly hear about the niggling problems that start popping up after the warranty expires. Leaks, failed water pumps, CELs, electronics getting flaky. I did start looking at M2s last night - I know this is absurd but I don't think I could buy an M235 knowing that the M2 exists . They're pretty pricey used, cheapest one I saw in a quick search was around $40k. Definitely something to consider.

The Cayman was the car that was in the back of my head the last couple years. I love the Boxster, but I am not in love with having a convertible. It's nice around here like two months of the year and the rest of the time it's just annoying. That's definitely on the list. I wouldn't drive it through snow (salt, really). I'd drive the truck or something.

I keep thinking about "building" something (which yes, I realize is very much at odds with the "I want something really reliable so I don't have to work on my daily driver" but we all have our faults). Either an S54 E36 or (shudder) another RX-8 with an engine swap. Either a V8 or another four cylinder. But I promised myself and my wife no more project vehicles until the RX-8 I already have is sorted. So ... never? You also almost never see E46s with V8 swaps. That would be pretty rad. Hmmm...
The 2 series has ended up being one of BMWs most reliable cars (knock wood). But I totally get the M2 vs M235 issue (or even M240). I had no choice because I wanted the convertible, but I would have probably stretched to get an M2C, if it had existed.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #42
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I certainly would hope your BMW would be reliable, it is only two years old!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #43
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Did the Holden/Pontiac already come up as a suggestion? Perhaps you need a GM V8 in your life. Or a Camaro; look at how much Clyde fit in his...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #44
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Kinda doubt your MPG want would be solved with ether Ford ST

Your issues with Subaru remind me of an old motorcycle joke . . . ."why is riding a Honda like fucking a hooker? Both feel good til someone see's you doing it"

An STI would fit all your wants, except who wants that
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #45
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Did the Holden/Pontiac already come up as a suggestion? Perhaps you need a GM V8 in your life. Or a Camaro; look at how much Clyde fit in his...
If you mean a G8 or an SS, they're just too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Kinda doubt your MPG want would be solved with ether Ford ST

Your issues with Subaru remind me of an old motorcycle joke . . . ."why is riding a Honda like fucking a hooker? Both feel good til someone see's you doing it"

An STI would fit all your wants, except who wants that
I just never warmed up to Subarus. Many of my friends have them. I kind of don't get the appeal. They get horrible MPG. Really bad turbo lag on all of them. They sound like tractors. They ride horribly (bouncy) and also don't handle well. All of their engines have known major reliability problems (head gaskets, ring lands, pick your poison).
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #46
Alan
Carmudgeon

The bmw M240 is a crazy fast car ... that engine is insane and it is also pretty rare which makes it even cooler.

I don’t get that you would consider a gti but not a M240 because it’s not an M2.

The gti isn’t an R but that’s ok
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #47
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
You know, an M2 was on my list, but I think it's just too expensive used. Maybe in a few years.
This is the exact reason I still have not pulled the trigger on something. Both the 981 S and the 2018 M2 have been holding their value WAY to well. I was hoping the M2 Comp would slam the N55 version’s price but so far that does not seem to be the case.

There are some decent value’s on the 16-17’s but I want the LCI. Well to be honest I want the Comp but yet again WAY to pricy.

Curious as to what actual price point you are looking at?

I’ll just be buried in the M5. Case closed.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #48
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I certainly would hope your BMW would be reliable, it is only two years old!
I know, right? But I’m not just referencing my car...

Two years old: https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/30/c...#disqus_thread

Last edited by wdc330i; 07-17-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #49
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

BTW, good one.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #50
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The bmw M240 is a crazy fast car ... that engine is insane and it is also pretty rare which makes it even cooler.

I don’t get that you would consider a gti but not a M240 because it’s not an M2.

M2 is just more better. R adds fwd biased awd which is good for stability but necessarily fun and adds weight.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote