carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
JST

BMW i8 gets EPA ratings

What a joke:

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i8-gets-epa...comment-505619

15 miles "electric" range (though all electric is 0, meaning you can't drive at all without using gas).

Honestly, anyone who buys this thing over a 911 is an idiot. Also, it's hard to explain just how pissed I'll be if I come across one of these things blocking a public charger.

Fuck you, BMW, this is terrible.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Eh, nbd. Go Tesla. Wait, did I get that right?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What a joke:

http://insideevs.com/bmw-i8-gets-epa...comment-505619

15 miles "electric" range (though all electric is 0, meaning you can't drive at all without using gas).

Honestly, anyone who buys this thing over a 911 is an idiot. Also, it's hard to explain just how pissed I'll be if I come across one of these things blocking a public charger.

Fuck you, BMW, this is terrible.
That is pathetic.

And any PHEV blocking a public charger is a nuisance. Even a Volt.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
JST

BMW i8 gets EPA ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Eh, nbd. Go Tesla. Wait, did I get that right?

I don't think it makes sense to compare it to the Tesla. I'm comparing it to...almost anything, really.

Here's a first drive against a base 911. Starts out with some complimentary words on the i8 powertrain (and the attention it gets), but wait til you get to the part about handling.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...n-test-review/

Ugh. The i8 sounds like a great car for attention whores who want to pretend they're green. Maybe the perfect Hollywood car?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Did we read the same article? It says some pretty good things about the BMW except that it has some issues driven by BMW's tire choices. I wonder what size tires can fit on the car and what putting on a proper set of rubber would do.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
JST

BMW didn't make those tire choices for no reason. They are presumably an integral part of whatever paltry electric range capability the i8 has. Put a set 245 Pilot Super Sports on there (assuming they fit) and I'm sure you will cut the understeer--but presumably if it didn't have a big impact on range, BMW would have done it itself.

And, of course, there's the matter of the £20,000 price difference...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
It's a high performance sports car that attains sub-compact MPG numbers - that it does so with a partly electric setup isn't necessarily bad, it's just a hybrid.

I wouldn't sneer at the price given Tesla's original roadster; also, its bread and butter offerings aren't exactly being scooped up by secretaries, dental hygienists and middle level management types - Teslas aren't exactly middle class entries.

I also don't understand the problem with charging stations, why shouldn't partially electric cars be accorded the same privilege as an all-electric?
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
JST

I'm not sneering at the price, but if one part of BMW's argument is "look at the gas this saves," it's hard to ignore that it starts out $40K or more than a comparable 911. That's a big fuel piggy bank.

And public chargers are still pretty thin on the ground. Of course part-electrics have as much right to use them as anyone else...but a car like this, or the plug in Prius, which are almost entirely dependent on their internal combustion engines, is a little galling to come across when you're driving a car that can't move with the juice the charger provides.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I don't get ZBB's comments about power stations and the Volt - I thought about a Volt and with my normal driving habits, I would never use gas.

So far, I think BMW's electric offerings are just another Prius for people with more money - more "look at me!" then real environmental impact. But that's ok if you take them for what they are . . . a stepping stone and a first attempt at getting on the road towards were the technology will go.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The i3 is quite unique.. My test drive of it was quite memorable. I'm not sure I'd buy it with my own money but it's nice to drive, has a great interior and has a potential range extender. It would make a great sub-75mph runabout.

The i8 is more about looks, and that it has in spades.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote