carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #151
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Are you picking it up today?

Time to buy some snow tires and wheels...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #152
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Are you picking it up today?

Time to buy some snow tires and wheels...
We're headed out today to check it out in person (turns out they have two identical ones), and likely do paperwork.

I'm thinking I'll hold off until next season for the winter tires. We still have the Miata, so I'll just keep using it on icy slushy days. Assuming the GTI comes with all seasons, I can still use it here and there when ultimate winter traction is not needed. And when the roads are dry and clean (like nowadays) I can use the M3.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #153
FC
Solving problems

Well, it's done. We bought it. We got a great deal. Of course, it was not all without some goofy drama.

Driving impressions (positive) to come, but after the 5-mile test drive we noticed two things.

First, I reached into the the cup holders to retrieve the key and noticed that it felt very warm to the touch. I then realized that the entire cupholder area was very warm - even the outsides of the center console between the seats. I did a sanity check to make sure there wasn't some (unknown to me) cupholder warming feature on the car and mentioned it to the salesperson they assigned to help us and he offered some preposterous possible explanations. Anyway, maybe it's normal?

Second, my wife noticed that the rear badge did not say GTI, it said GOLF. WTF? Sales guy had no explanation and seemed perplexed by why we would care about such a thing. At this point I'm wondering if this was a Friday afternoon car.

My wife pointed out that they had a 2nd GTI in white n their website. We saw it and that one had a proper badge, had not been in the showroom touched by who knows how many people, had only 9 miles on it, and by virtue of having no accessories thrown in, was ~$350 cheaper. So we bought that one. We let it idle for a while and the cupholder area remained cold.

The "scratches" shown on photos was leftover adhesive from the plastic covering. There were many remnants of that white plastic all over the car. The other car we ended up buying had similar remnants.

It will be detailed and filled up prior to pickup probably next Saturday.

As for driving it, it was great. It's silent at a stoplight and sounds so much quieter than the GTI we drove back in 2015 that I am sure that one must have had an aftermarket exhaust. Clutch was light but good, shifter action was good, brakes feel and performance was excellent, and handling up to 7/10 was awesome. Seemed quick enough too. Wife was very happy and we are excited to get it.

Now we just need floor mats.

EDIT: Also, I need to make room in the back garage to fit the Miata next to the M3.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #154
dan
redefined

Great deal! I'm confused as to why y'all didn't drive it home today though
Old 01-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #155
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Great deal! I'm confused as to why y'all didn't drive it home today though
In MA you need to register the car and have it insured under your name. There are no temporary tags. They couldn't do that today (or tomorrow). I'm busy at work, so it may have to wait until next weekend.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #156
dan
redefined

That's wild
Old 01-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #157
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
First, I reached into the the cup holders to retrieve the key and noticed that it felt very warm to the touch. I then realized that the entire cupholder area was very warm - even the outsides of the center console between the seats. I did a sanity check to make sure there wasn't some (unknown to me) cupholder warming feature on the car and mentioned it to the salesperson they assigned to help us and he offered some preposterous possible explanations. Anyway, maybe it's normal?

Second, my wife noticed that the rear badge did not say GTI, it said GOLF. WTF? Sales guy had no explanation and seemed perplexed by why we would care about such a thing. At this point I'm wondering if this was a Friday afternoon car.
I'd look that stuff on vwvortex or whatever the current VW, Golf or GTI forum is. If you can't really find anything, count yourself lucky for skipping a problem car.

Quote:
It will be detailed
I'd have them skip that and actually tell them not to touch it. Take care of it yourself so they don't make it worse overall.

Quote:
In MA you need to register the car and have it insured under your name. There are no temporary tags. They couldn't do that today (or tomorrow). I'm busy at work, so it may have to wait until next weekend.
The insurance thing buying the Camaro was a shocking surprise, but still don't know if that's a NY or specific dealer thing. What a cluster that was.

When I was a teenager, I was with my dad one day when he was buying a car and two things from that specific visit stand out in memories. There was a guy there with his wife and four kids trying to trade his truck in on something, but couldn't. He was screaming at his salesman or manager, "Why are only offering that much? I OWE MORE THAN THAT GOD DAMN IT!"

The other part is how after the deal was in place and we were waiting for everything to finish and be able to leave with the car, the salesman kept telling me when no one else was around, "Your dad has really good credit. This is called a 'spot buy' when you can actually drive the car home the same day. It never happens. If your dad tries to teach you lessons about money, listen to him. If he doesn't make him."

It left an impression. Not so much about my dad, or the other dude, but about how cars are bought.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:48 PM   #158
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Congrats FC!

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #159
clyde
Chief title editor