carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #901
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Yeah impressive but where the hell in America are you ever going to be able to use all that power. Unless you go to the track on a regular basis isn’t it a waste?

I can barely have fun with my car.
Full throttle for a moment or two beginning at freeway speed on a freeway is perfectly within the realm of usable.

We're well past the time that performance cars can be fully utilized in public settings. I don't mean super-duper cars. I mean new cars with MSRPs under $60k.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #902
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Full throttle for a moment or two beginning at freeway speed on a freeway is perfectly within the realm of usable.

We're well past the time that performance cars can be fully utilized in public settings. I don't mean super-duper cars. I mean new cars with MSRPs under $60k.
Very true.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #903
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Yeah impressive but where the hell in America are you ever going to be able to use all that power. Unless you go to the track on a regular basis isn’t it a waste?

I can barely have fun with my car.
Not sure how the 992 is, but I've been impressed with the fun feel factor of my car at relatively sane speeds. It usually feels like it it going faster than it really is. Even when I'm not 100% it is engaging
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #904
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Quick? Fast? Why not both?

Perhaps most impressive is the total lack of drama.

The Turbo has been, since 991 generation, so fast it’s incredible.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #905
Alan
Carmudgeon

I’ve been looking into the 992, kind of figuring out options for a C2S coupe, spoke to a salesperson i’ve been working with and if I order now I’m looking at a 2021 with fall delivery, the cost would be the 991 plus what I figured out was the cost of a loaded new C8 Corvette which got me thinking I should be looking into the C8 but then what to do with the 991 ...

Also the problem with the Corvette is I always worry about service and there are no Corvette specialty dealers here like they used to be when I had my 2006 C6. All the dealers here are from the 60’s and 70’s ... There is one new dealer locally but they aren’t Corvette specialty dealers, kind of like the NSX, the Acura dealers never see them so how are they going to know how to fix the common problems when they see so few of them.

Porsche is different, all they do is work on high end cars.

Last edited by Alan; 06-21-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #906
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I’ve been looking into the 992, kind of figuring out options for a C2S coupe, spoke to a salesperson i’ve been working with and if I order now I’m looking at a 2021 with fall delivery, the cost would be the 991 plus what I figured out was the cost of a loaded new C8 Corvette which got me thinking I should be looking into the C8 but then what to do with the 991 ...

Also the problem with the Corvette is I always worry about service and there are no Corvette specialty dealers here like they used to be when I had my 2006 C6. All the dealers here are from the 60’s and 70’s ... There is one new dealer locally but they aren’t Corvette specialty dealers, kind of like the NSX, the Acura dealers never see them so how are they going to know how to fix the common problems when they see so few of them.

Porsche is different, all they do is work on high end cars.
Wow- yeah that's quite a price difference. My guess is you'd get more smiles out of the C8 (just the sound of the V8 alone), but some of the overall ownership experience would be irritating (dealers, lackluster fit and finish, little niggles that dont get fixed etc). As for the 992, this guy does a thorough job of reviewing all the options (i actually fell asleep listening to this the other night- lol). Also I know 911s have pretty low depreciation- Even with the much higher MSRP, would the total depreciation amount over a few years of ownership be similar to the c8?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3MQ-eQVsU
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #907
Nick M3
Relic

Found a solution to the 911 lack of center jack points:

Common "wisdom" is to use the engine case as a jack point. I reject that.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #908
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Wow- yeah that's quite a price difference. My guess is you'd get more smiles out of the C8 (just the sound of the V8 alone), but some of the overall ownership experience would be irritating (dealers, lackluster fit and finish, little niggles that dont get fixed etc). As for the 992, this guy does a thorough job of reviewing all the options (i actually fell asleep listening to this the other night- lol). Also I know 911s have pretty low depreciation- Even with the much higher MSRP, would the total depreciation amount over a few years of ownership be similar to the c8?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3MQ-eQVsU
Thanks for the link I am absolutely going to watch it

As far as the Corvette, I think they did an incredible job but I really need to test drive one and that will be impossible for the next year or two until the initial demand is met, GM stopped producing cars then started at a slow pace, it will be forever before test drives are available..

Lately I have been driving the Cayman a lot, I really like the PDK ... I agree the price of the 992 is quite a bit but if it’s as good as my 991 I would end up keeping it for a long time.

Anyway we will see what happens, a part of me is thinking just go get a 991.2 pdk Coupe or go with a Cab like Josh did ... the price is so right and I love the updated look as well as the low end torque.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #909
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Rob, I am loving this link ... thanks so much for posting it !!

Almost done watching ... in the middle of part 2 ... not sure if this link will cost me more or less money
Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #910
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks for the link I am absolutely going to watch it

Anyway we will see what happens, a part of me is thinking just go get a 991.2 pdk Coupe or go with a Cab like Josh did ... the price is so right and I love the updated look as well as the low end torque.
Hey Alan, if you do end up considering a 991.2 or 992, let me know where you are with your 991. Perhaps I could match or better the dealer's trade-in + tax (though tax is hefty in NY).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote