carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
JST

2013 Lightning Lap

Got the most recent issue of C/D yesterday. There were a couple of interesting tidbits from the Lightning Lap comparo--I don't have it in front of me, so I'm doing this from memory:

1. The 981S is no longer as fast as the Carrera S. The 911 is meaningfully quicker; something like 4 seconds (though, in fairness, it was the Cayman S that previously had exactly matched the 997S times). The 981S is as fast as the Boxster Spyder.

2. The LFA is slower than a 458, though query whether the 458 that C/D got was a massaged press car. Why anyone would buy an LFA remains beyond my comprehension.

3. The 1LE package for the Camaro sounds pretty impressive. Those magnetic dampers are magic. Too bad it doesn't make the car less ugly.

4. I have no interest in owning either an M5 or an M6.

5. The praise for the 335 is a bit mystifying in the context of their carping about that car previously.

6. The numbers for the Focus ST were a bit disappointing and surprising, even accepting their explanation of only getting one day of driving in it. But it sounds like it's a lot of fun to drive.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

I noticed yesterday that the 3ers are on seriously subsidized lease deals right now and the promo rate for the 335i (with some options like prem pkg in the promo example) is $419/mo.

Sure makes the Golf R's $469/mo promo deal look pretty weak. And it means that I at least need to go test drive one, ugly or not.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Why anyone would buy an LFA remains beyond my comprehension.
To be fair, Lexus won't let anyone buy one anyway. Weren't they only avail for lease (at least in the US...)?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I noticed yesterday that the 3ers are on seriously subsidized lease deals right now and the promo rate for the 335i (with some options like prem pkg in the promo example) is $419/mo.

Sure makes the Golf R's $469/mo promo deal look pretty weak. And it means that I at least need to go test drive one, ugly or not.
Something tells me BMW realizes they raised the price too much... I hadn't seen more than a handful of the new 3er until a month or so ago -- which coincidentally was shortly after the lease deals appeared...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
The 911 is meaningfully quicker
I only glanced over it, but didn't they say that this gen Carrera S was faster than the previous Turbo? That seems impressive. And IIRC the new 3er was slower than the e90 too.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I was surprised by the 1LE. The 1LE seems like a bargain for what it is. As with many GM vehicles, though, the interior and overall packaging of the car leave a lot to be desired.

Ferraris have always been coddled at these type of comparison tests. Many car rags have referred to this practice in the past.

Sounds like the new 911 is a massive improvement over the 997 cars. For the 911S to be that quick with "only" 400hp is telling.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Not surprised by the 991/997 difference as I drove both on Monticello. The 991 is not necessarily a more fun or playful car but has vastly better stability and speed through turns (as well as a better ride). The 997's feel on stilts in comparison (as did mine in comparison to the 987).

The 981/987 difference is more subtle, I only got a short drive in the 981S. Felt like the e46/e90 difference (zsp to zsp) just a bit more competent and perhaps more settled ride. Wider feeling.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I only glanced over it, but didn't they say that this gen Carrera S was faster than the previous Turbo? That seems impressive. And IIRC the new 3er was slower than the e90 too.
I think so. I can't remember the various yardsticks; it was faster than the GT3 in X spot, faster than the Turbo S in Y spot, etc, but it may well have been faster than the Turbo overall.

I didn't look closely, but I assume that it had all of the PDK/torque biasing differential/active engine mount frippery.

I admit that it impressed me enough to momentarily consider a 991. That lasted about as long as it took me to launch the configurator and see what they want for a reasonably well equipped S.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
I think so. I can't remember the various yardsticks; it was faster than the GT3 in X spot, faster than the Turbo S in Y spot, etc, but it may well have been faster than the Turbo overall.

I didn't look closely, but I assume that it had all of the PDK/torque biasing differential/active engine mount frippery.

I admit that it impressed me enough to momentarily consider a 991. That lasted about as long as it took me to launch the configurator and see what they want for a reasonably well equipped S.
>100K before you tick a single box... nuts!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post