carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
RE: Current cars, what would you have done different?

Forget the "Did I buy the right car" kind of deals for the moment. If you could have whatever car(s) you have right now brand new, what would you change? Anything that falls under "Damn, I wish I did that earlier/when I got the car." I'm aiming for non-model specific advice.

The reason I ask that is because seeing as me (and my extended family at large) don't exactly go through new or used cars like some of you here do :P, I'd like to avoid any oversights as we prepare to purchase in the next 2 months.

For now, the only thing I can think of for sure is a ClearBra application and some Huper Optik ceramic tinting from a local well-reputed installer. Oh, and I'm definitely going to be the one controlling the break-in this time, that's without a doubt.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
JST

Re: RE: Current cars, what would you have done different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Forget the "Did I buy the right car" kind of deals for the moment. If you could have whatever car(s) you have right now brand new, what would you change? Anything that falls under "Damn, I wish I did that earlier/when I got the car." I'm aiming for non-model specific advice.

The reason I ask that is because seeing as me (and my extended family at large) don't exactly go through new or used cars like some of you here do :P, I'd like to avoid any oversights as we prepare to purchase in the next 2 months.

For now, the only thing I can think of for sure is a ClearBra application and some Huper Optik ceramic tinting from a local well-reputed installer. Oh, and I'm definitely going to be the one controlling the break-in this time, that's without a doubt.
Satellite radio--get it OEM if you can. If not, add it ASAP. It's well worth it.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
dan
redefined

nm
Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Re: RE: Current cars, what would you have done different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan

Satellite radio--get it OEM if you can. If not, add it ASAP. It's well worth it.
USATODAY on Legacy/Outback: "You can't get satellite radio or a navigation system. Maybe someday, Subie says."

The MY2006 with the Sat-Nav is the one we're waiting on, that's for sure.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
The only thing I'd change about my current car is the interior color. Since I bought it CPO, I had no choice. But I prefer tan/sand interiors over gray, and I absolutely detest black interiors. My car is gray. Its fine and looks good (and hides some things better than tan), but I actually miss the tan interior of my e46.

Agree on Sat radio... I went with XM Direct in the e39.

I'm also thinking of adding Bluetooth phone connectivity, but the OEM kit is $$$ (~$550-600 for all the parts, with a discount). There is a non-OEM kit that plugs into BT prewire) coming out this summer for $450 (called Argos, from EISKits.com), and I may go for that...
Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
If I had to do it over again, I'd get the Yukon XL instead of the Tahoe/Yukon flavor.
It's turning out that we really could have used the extra length quite often. When we were picking the car, I figured we woudln't need it that much. I was wrong.

The Mercedes, 2002, Mustang and 740i were all bought 'used' so there were many things I would have liked to have been on the cars (like maybe the tii instead of the carb) on the 2002 - But - All in all they are just fine as is for what they could have been.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

I bought used so I couldn't be that picky.

But if I was ordering my car new (based on the options available at the time) I'd change the exterior color to estoril or techno violet. Add the fold-down rear seats. Delete the power front seats.

There was no such thing as satellite radio when my car was built, but I would echo that I can't imagine having a car without it. If I ever find myself considering a car that offers it OEM, I will definitely insist on it.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Tough for me as my current car doesn't really have any options. I wish I didn't have the sun roof, but the wife wanted it. Small price to pay for 400 hp. Everything else is after market and you can install and take that stuff off to your heart's content.

I am afraid I'm sucked into the nav system at this point. I still think they are ridiculously expensive, but the wife loves it and when you need it, it's really, really handy.

I would get integrated bluetooth if it is available. The options I have for using the car phone are either very expensive or very expensive. The aftermarket kits that I have seen aren't nearly as cool as the factory incorporated ones and typically won't tap into the car electronics. They seem to require an additional speaker and microphone.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

The wagon: nix the AWD and get RWD. Add Phatbox. Happy to have the sport package seats and steering wheel (and would have perfered the suspension in the RWD version). Happy to have the ass warmers and headlight washers. Happy to have the power seats. Happy we got the full size spare for a number of reasons. Happy to have the xenons. Happy to not have sunroof. Mixed feelings about not having the rear side airbags. Overall, pretty darn happy with it. Happy with the color combo usually.

The rx-8: If I had to do it again today, I would probably change the color from gray to blue. I might forgo the Sport Package (xenon, fog lights, DSC). I'd really miss the xenons, though.

For both cars, there's the navigation question. When we got the wagon, I really wanted nav. The combination of my wife's desire for AWD and the fact that the BMW nav was pretty bad (and still CD based at the time, DVD was introduced the following MY), led to us getting AWD over the nav...and I've mostly thought I should have gone the other way since then. Nav on the RX-8 was a non-negotiable option...it had to have it. Today, it might be a little different. Having used the new Garmin C330 on a recent trip, I was so thoroughly impressed by it, that I'm not sure that OE nav would be a requirement for me on any new car. There are a lot of advantages to OE nav units, but the Garmin unit is cheap enough, small enough and good enough, as well as having its own advantages, to be a worthy contender.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
wow.

you guys are raising some good points. i've never had NAV or satellite radio (but they are standard on the V series). interesting.

it's also interesting that Snyde raises the Garmin C330 issue --do you think that is a better solution that the Palm add-on GPS navigation kit?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote