carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #101
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Does Nikon have something similar to Canon's CPS, and do you own enough stuff to qualify?

The price for CPS membership is really nominal - I think it's around $200/year. The real cost is in acquiring sufficient equipment to qualify . Plus, you have to have credited work appear in media.
Nikon has Nikon Professional Services, but they try to limit membership to people making their living with Nikon produts. Owning a few pro bodies and lenses with a few tear sheets isn't always enough. It offers a lot, but they're pretty tight about who can get in.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #102
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Yes, I did a stupid thing, I was with my wife at a local fair, and rather than hold her up (and she wasn't complaining), I took just one quick shot. Too bad because the lighting and the set up was perfect.

I thought, later, about different DOF's and came upon the idea you're suggesting, however, I didn't think of the skull and crossbones bike as the focal point. Thanks for the tip - I think you're quite right though, it's a good idea to shoot it a few different ways, how can you lose.
If I had a nickel for every time I got it totally wrong in the field and saw the solution as soon as I saw the image on my computer screen...

Focusing on the one bit of color in that shot definitely wasnt a mistake, and I would have done the same thing. Hopefully, I would have taken one like I suggested...but probably not. This, I think is the real trick to becoming a photographer...figuring out what to shoot when you're there. Becoming a good photographer takes it a step further. You get there when you skip all thhe shots that would be less than the best.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #103
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Hopefully, I would have taken one like I suggested...but probably not. This, I think is the real trick to becoming a photographer...figuring out what to shoot when you're there. Becoming a good photographer takes it a step further. You get there when you skip all thhe shots that would be less than the best.
+1,000,000

Alex
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #104
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
If I had a nickel for every time I got it totally wrong in the field and saw the solution as soon as I saw the image on my computer screen...

Focusing on the one bit of color in that shot definitely wasnt a mistake, and I would have done the same thing. Hopefully, I would have taken one like I suggested...but probably not. This, I think is the real trick to becoming a photographer...figuring out what to shoot when you're there. Becoming a good photographer takes it a step further. You get there when you skip all thhe shots that would be less than the best.
So true, and I'd add it's the true goal of any artistic endeavor - trying to get it right as you're doing it.

I've worked with many musicians who never got that message - they'd lay down a million tracks of garbage, then sort through it, for weeks on end, trying to make an "arrangement". It's the old "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" mentality.

I've finally gotten to a good place in my professional life, getting to that core fairly quickly, but with photos, I've got a ways to go. As you know, every "mistake" is an excellent learning tool - in fact, I'll be so bold as to say, missing the shot I could've had with the motorcycles has made me an even better photographer than had I gotten "lucky"

Lately though, all I've been doing is photographing cats for our shelter's website adoption ads - lots of black cats at that, if you ever want a challenge
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #105
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #106
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
finally a decent pic, looking good
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #107
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
finally a decent pic, looking good
I don't know. There are a couple of substantially sized pieces of white shit on the windshield that just make the whole thing look wrong.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #108
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
There are a couple of substantially sized pieces of white shit on the windshield that just make the whole thing look wrong.
I can't help with the registration / inspection sticker, but I do still have the EZ-Pass blackout kits available. I don't know if I have any of the die-cut self-adhesive felt pieces left, but I do have sheets of adhesive felt and the black 3M Dual Lock (that's the official EZ-Pass fastener, only in black instead of clear). Makes it almost invisible if your pass is mounted above the AS-1 line - about as visible as the rain sensor module.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #109
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I hate the inspection sticker. Stupid in this day and age. Cops should be able to run the plates for inspection status.

I don't really give a crap about the EZ pass though. I just can't get that anal anymore. I placed it where I don't see it from the driver's seat. That's good enough for me.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #110
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Nice pic, Plaz. Looks sweet.

This is from a recent Jeep run from last weekend.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120125.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	6785  

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote