carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My boss is a bad influence.

He is a great guy and happens to be a car guy. He'll just come over randomly and start talking about some review he just read, etc. It's pretty cool.

Problem is, as lemming knows, my job is aout a mile from the Porsche/Audi dealership. My boss drives an A3 2.0T w/ DSG and recently won't stop talking about a base Cayman. He has resisted all temptations to test-drive one, yet won't stop talking about it.

Of course, he knows I want some kind of 987-car and stops shy of encouraging me to get one. So whereas at my last job there were many wealthy executives with fancy cars but co-workers would give me grief over a 3er, here, at a smaller company with next to no fancy cars, my boss would have no problem with me getting a P-car. Weird.

Anyhow, he is not making it easy to wait. I have no choice though. I have to wait a good year of being with the baby to know how several things pan out (actual car configurations/needs, routine, wife's work, etc).

At least the CEO upped the ante by ditching his Tahoe for a new base Range Rover. After that, you to go all the way down to sub $40K cars - of which my red 330i is probably the flashiest.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
ff

I would tell him that as soon as you get that big raise you've been counting on, you'll go test drive Caymans with him
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

company car time

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
company car time
That would be cool.

...and I told him about the recent event at the Porsche dealership (that lemming came to) and he almost came along, but he lives a bit far from work. I know he'll cave in eventually.

He is very intrigued by the 135i now.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
FC, it is really too bad that you don't drive for a living like I do. For many industries where the workers drive for a living, one of the pay is in the form of car allowance. This client of mine just got a C6 regular with his car allowance.

Again, after a certain point in compensation numbers, it's all about what you get to keep...
I could always get into engineering sales...