carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #31
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Agreed. As I mentioned before, the MCS was often more fun than the Turbo. The Miata certain is. Short gearing is fun around town.

For that reason, "upgrading to a Boxster" may just be upgrading to a newer Miata instead.

Back to the Model S talk. Again, as a 'round town errand runner/school bus, the Model S may be the most fun. I mean, I do have runs and twists, but not that many and not at speeds to matter that much. The eGolf is entertaining enough, so I suspect the Models is will blow it away. I should drive one. I have a dealership 5 minutes away.
The new Boxsters solve this. Fun at any speed.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #32
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The new Boxsters solve this. Fun at any speed.
It's not about the power for me. It's more the ability to rev to red line in 2nd around town without getting arrested. I think my 987.1S did 74mph in second. The NC Miata is something like 46 mph and 3rd is ~78.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #33
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I'd still go for the F80 M3 or wait for the M2 Gran Coupe if that becomes a thing.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #34
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I'd still go for the F80 M3 or wait for the M2 Gran Coupe if that becomes a thing.
Well, they are both the same option, really. I pick up a used GTI, bide my time until/if the M2 GC and G80 M3 are revealed, and if they blow, I can always pick up a CPO '17/'18 F80 if that is what I want.

But that brings up the larger point that both the M2GC and the G80 M3 will be available after I only have to give 1 and maybe no kids rides to school.

Is it really worth it to spend big bucks for a sedan I'll drive alone during the week? After school there is the issue of practices and weekend games, so that is a bit redeeming, but I dunno how things will shake out. So far only one wants to do club soccer, so that is still ok with a roadster.

Everything points to a GTI for the next two years as a bridge car. Heck, I could probably lease a new one.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #35
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
So this is just something I've wondered...do you not pay taxes on car purchases in Mass? I have no idea how it makes sense to your financial discipline to constantly swap cars just to buy the same car all over again.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #36
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
So this is just something I've wondered...do you not pay taxes on car purchases in Mass? I have no idea how it makes sense to your financial discipline to constantly swap cars just to buy the same car all over again.
I do. 6.25%. You get tax credit on trade-ins.

Leases are taxed on a monthly basis - which is why I mentioned it on the GTI. I have to see if leases make sense on those. I'd imagine they should since they are fairly sought-after.

Contrary to what you may believe, I do keep my cars "for a while." The notable exceptions are the Porsches. But both were bought at enough of a discount that a dealer trade-in hit would have dwarfed absorbing the lost sales tax. On cheaper cars, I don't sweat the sales tax (JGC & Miata).

For the record, a list:

190E 2.6 - 5 years
E46 ZHP - 6 years
9-2X - 2 years (wife's fault)
V70R - 4 years
JGC - 4 years
987S - 1.5 years
MCS - 5 years
E91 - Lease (27 months)
997TT - 3 years
eGolf - Lease (36 months)
LR4 - 4.5 years and counting
Miata - 1.5 years and counting
Old 04-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #37
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Not everyone has been driving the same car for the last fifteen years, Bren
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #38
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
We all get our kicks in different ways... I agree with WDC that a boxster, cayman and likely a 911 is fun at any speed. It is a more satisfying, overall sporty/luxurious experience to partially rev a flat-6 rather than rev a 4-cyl to its literal limit. I hit the limiter a few times in five years with my 987.1S Cayman but only in first. That's a few times in 34k miles.

Porsches are also comfy enough on the highway for two or less. Horses for courses...

Those who don't like an e39 m5 are unlikely to love a b8 or b8.5 s4, no matter how capable that car is, it still has very oddly weighted steering and has an overall digital/synthetic feel. I think a lightly chipped GTI (and by extension the Golf R) is way more fun to drive.

But we are all different. I know nothing about autox classes. From videos that I watched, I would not have been able to get a 4-cyl Camaro, the v6 and the SS both sound so good.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #39
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Not everyone has been driving the same car for the last fifteen years, Bren

I do wish MD wasn't so stupid on leases. How it makes any sense to pay tax on the full purchase price on a lease I'll never know.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #40
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
And for reference, she hated being in the Turbo. She felt it was too uncomfortable/low/loud/etc.
That is too funny, my wife & older daughter cannot understand why I even have the 911 ... they both ask me whenever they are in it 'do you really like this car' ... it cracks me up

Back on topic ... it sounds like a new A4 might fit the bill, it is a fun sports sedan that is available in a manual.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote