carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #91
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I have a 2011 Silverado that I've owned since new, and I don't think I've had any of those issues. Well, okay, the rear bumper is not quite aligned correctly any more, but that's because it was replaced after I was hit and the body shop was a little lazy with fitting the replacement part. I should probably fix it at some point.

I did have some odd issues two years ago, but after the dealer threw a bunch of crap at it, I think the true culprit was a $35 crank position sensor that I replaced myself. Almost seven years and 101,000 miles later, the only real problem I have is a finicky window switch panel. I think it just needs to be replaced; it'll intermittently fail to raise the rear windows, and today (after I did some tinkering with the door open during some rain) the auto-down feature on the driver's window stopped working.

Say what you will about trucks -- mine is proving to be an excellent purchase, and the only vehicle I've driven for 100,000 miles. Mine was even made in Mexico.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #92
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
One thing that amazes me about trucks (full size, at least) is how well they hold their value. My father in law gets a new Silverado every couple of years and trades in his old one for a surprisingly large amount of $.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #93
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
I’ve had a Ranger and now a Silverado.

My full-size rides A LOT nicer. It hauls more, tows more, plows through deep snow better, camps better, etc. than my dinky Ranger.

The only thing my Ranger does better is pass by gas stations.
Yeah, but the Ranger was a really old platform and was never known for doing much of anything well.

I don't think any comparison between a Ranger and the current Colorado would be remotely reasonable.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #94
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
One thing that amazes me about trucks (full size, at least) is how well they hold their value. My father in law gets a new Silverado every couple of years and trades in his old one for a surprisingly large amount of $.
Also interesting about cost of ownership... GM is more liberal with the incentives on the Silverado. Apparently the Colorado is selling well enough to not need as many.

So if you buy a Silverado with a big pile of incentives it can be close in price to a Colorado. Then 3 years later when you sell its worth more. So the Silverado cost of ownership can end up being equal to or better than a Colorado.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #95
John V
No more BMWs

I did the math on this several years ago... it's almost never worth it to buy a used full-size truck. The exception would be getting something that is fully depreciated (like, really old).
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #96
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I did the math on this several years ago... it's almost never worth it to buy a used full-size truck. The exception would be getting something that is fully depreciated (like, really old).
It's crazy, right? The used market is set as if new trucks sell at MSRP. But they don't.

I started looking at used Colorado's, but there are a lot of complaints about the 2015-16's 6-speed transmission. They switched to a much better 8-speed tranny in 2017 so I decided I wanted 2017+.

And the used market for 1-year old Colorados wasn't compelling enough to steer me away from owning a new truck.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #97
ff

Some SUVs are like that too. The 4Runner's resale was ridiculously good, even on trade-in.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #98
John V
No more BMWs

I ended up buying the Ram used, for three reasons

1) Friends with the prior owner, who got me a courtesy trade through the dealer where he was buying his replacement. So, it was well under market value and a known quantity
2) Chrysler still hadn't announced when the 1500 EcoDiesel was coming back to the market and I didn't want to wait
3) I wasn't willing to shell out $70k+ for a new diesel 3/4 ton truck.

In retrospect... while I really like the truck, financially it probably would have been smarter to buy a new F150 EcoBoost. But there are many things I just despise about the current generation of Ford trucks and I wanted to try a diesel. #noregerts
Old 04-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #99
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Yeah, but the Ranger was a really old platform and was never known for doing much of anything well.

I don't think any comparison between a Ranger and the current Colorado would be remotely reasonable.
Indeed, you're right.

Iirc, it had the ancient Twin I-Beam suspension. When I'd go over a bumpy road at a pretty good clip, that truck would bounce sideways. With a gutless 2.3L four banger, it really struggled to haul heavy loads.

I've thought about fixing up my current beater by installing a 4 to 6 inch lift kit, bigger wheels/tires, and a repaint. But in its current stock form, it guzzles gas pretty badly, and if I did those mods, it would gulp down fuel at an even more alarming rate.

I really don't use it enough to spend big money to make it look good....
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 04-18-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #100
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Don't have much truck needs, but I do like the ecodiesel engine... Let's see what kind of fix will come out, if any. I'm sure you could have found one used or certified. Even non-certified, mopar warranty is quite reasonable. The problem is you have to deal with FCA dealers.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote