carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Question 6: Cross Country Car Buying

Actually FINDING the right car has me more concerned than anything at this point. The last month or two there hasn't been much of a selection in the Seattle area (or even w/in 500 miles) for 330's with a manual, to say nothing of the ZHP package. Maybe more ZHPs might turn up in Seattle as we get further into 2006 and some '03's start coming of leases, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Because of this I may have to expand my search nation wide. This leads me to the next question:

How difficult / easy is it to purchase a car in a different state and bring it home?

What's the general procedure for purchasing a car out of state? I realize there are some logistical problems invovled since you can't simply fly all over the country looking at this car and that car (not enough time or money). Also there are some issues of trust in dealing with someone farther away vs. in your home state or city.

Since it would be difficult to look at a particular car personally are there inspection companies / mechanics you can hire to check it out for you? Would this be worthwhile? I thought I heard about similar services to ebay buyers.

Assuming a car is found elsewhere what's the best way to get it home? Have it trucked out? Fly out and get the car, then drive it home on a road trip?

Finally, would any of you do this yourselves or would you just wait and see what turns up in your local market and just keep an eye on things for a few months?
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I've convinced myself that if I get a used car next time, I will try to purchase it in the Southwest and drive it home. Mainly to eliminate the chance of rust issues, but also to justify a cross-country drive.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
I've convinced myself that if I get a used car next time, I will try to purchase it in the Southwest and drive it home. Mainly to eliminate the chance of rust issues, but also to justify a cross-country drive.
Agreed. I bought my 330i from a dealer in DC. Took an overnight train and drove it home.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Actually FINDING the right car has me more concerned than anything at this point. The last month or two there hasn't been much of a selection in the Seattle area (or even w/in 500 miles) for 330's with a manual, to say nothing of the ZHP package. Maybe more ZHPs might turn up in Seattle as we get further into 2006 and some '03's start coming of leases, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Because of this I may have to expand my search nation wide. This leads me to the next question:

How difficult / easy is it to purchase a car in a different state and bring it home?

What's the general procedure for purchasing a car out of state? I realize there are some logistical problems invovled since you can't simply fly all over the country looking at this car and that car (not enough time or money). Also there are some issues of trust in dealing with someone farther away vs. in your home state or city.

Since it would be difficult to look at a particular car personally are there inspection companies / mechanics you can hire to check it out for you? Would this be worthwhile? I thought I heard about similar services to ebay buyers.

Assuming a car is found elsewhere what's the best way to get it home? Have it trucked out? Fly out and get the car, then drive it home on a road trip?

Finally, would any of you do this yourselves or would you just wait and see what turns up in your local market and just keep an eye on things for a few months?

I've got a buddy in TX who bought a ZHP in NJ. He had a local BMW dealer check the car out (for a fee, of course), but he never actually saw it before it arrived on a truck. His biggest problem, IIRC, was getting the titling information ironed out between the two states, which was complicated by the fact that BMW FS actually owned the car in question.

I would certainly go out-of-state for the right car/deal, but the hassle involved in doing all of that is probably worth a couple of thousand dollars (shipping alone can be fairly spendy). I'd probably ask someone locally to look at the car first (if possible) and then if that checked out, have the car looked at by a dealer.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:

If you buy from a dealer they'll ship it for you using the same transporting service you can engage yourself.

Google auto-transporter companies or just call up autotrader to see which companies dealers use in their area. It'll cost about 500 bucks to move a car cross-country (I could be wrong, but I recall seeing that price when I was Z4 shopping).

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
My last CT to Texas drive was ten years ago. Haven't done the CA trek in twenty, I'm thinking of doing it in mid-summer, top down in the Z4.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
dan
redefined

We bought our CPO 325iT from a dealership in Tennessee. I saw the car on bmwusa.com, called the dealership, offered $3,000 below what it was listed at and they accepted. I flew out a couple of days later and drove it home to Texas.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Ok, so it sounds feasible at least. Part of my problem is that I live in Seattle which is REALLY far from most of the ZHPs I've seen availble. The ZHPs are usually concentrated in CT or on the eastern seaboard. According to autotrader searches that's about 2,400 miles from my home as the crow flies (must be one tired bird).

I wouldn't mind a cross-country drive but I'd be a bit nervous about doing so in a car I'm not familiar with (not having a sense of its reliability history yet). But I'd be game for the drive and turn it into a road trip. If I could get a car shipped across the country for $500-ish then it might be worth it.

Area there areas of the country I should avoid or others I should focus on. I'm thinking steering clear of MI and LA and maybe FL so limit the chances of getting a storm damaged specimen. Also maybe stay out of northern state so there will be less chance of salt corrosion from winter roads.

Thoughts?
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
TD
Founder emeritus

Just drive a local ZSP to get an idea.

EDIT- Opps. That was the other thread. I guess it applies here as well.

Last edited by TD; 01-31-2006 at 04:12 PM.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a cross-country drive but I'd be a bit nervous about doing so in a car I'm not familiar with (not having a sense of its reliability history yet).
Where's the whimp smilie?

In 1994 (give or take a year), I flew from San Diego to DC to pick up and drive back a $300 1976 Olds Delta 88.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote