carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Drove an 07 Z4 3.0 Si today

It was nice - 15k miles, M seats, lots of options including nav, 6 speed.

After having had the X3 as a loaner for a few days, I wanted to try the Si engine in a Z4 with a manual transmission.

I love this motor, it revs smoothly and quickly with Honda-like precision. Completing the Honda-ishness was a light clutch (longer throw though) and fairly snicky gearshift.

This particular car was an off-lease example (a lot of them out there now) and reeked of cigarette smoke, it was also not in the best condition with chaffed and worn leather and a lot of creaks and groans - and those run-flats, ughh, I'd forgotten how they feel on cold days.

It was priced well though, at $26,900 - while I miss the general roadster vibe, I'm not quite ready to turn in the ZHP, however, car rumination has begun (does it ever leave??)

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post

After having had the X3 as a loaner for a few days, I wanted to try the Si engine in a Z4 with a manual transmission.

I love this motor, it revs smoothly and quickly with Honda-like precision. Completing the Honda-ishness was a light clutch (longer throw though) and fairly snicky gearshift.

This particular car was an off-lease example (a lot of them out there now) and reeked of cigarette smoke, it was also not in the best condition with chaffed and worn leather and a lot of creaks and groans - and those run-flats, ughh, I'd forgotten how they feel on cold days.

It was priced well though, at $26,900 - while I miss the general roadster vibe, I'm not quite ready to turn in the ZHP, however, car rumination has begun (does it ever leave??)

Ed
I almost did a CEL (Center Employee Lease) on one a few years ago, but passed as I could not locate what I wanted. Fun car! BTW, it was insane what I could have leased an M Roadster for, under $200 a month. I think...

Last edited by SCA; 02-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post

Ed
Amazing to think the same engine "powers" my 5,000 lb SUV.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I almost did a CEL (Center Employee Lease) on one a few years ago, but passed as I could not locate what I wanted. Fun car! BTW, it was insane what I could have leased an M Roadster for, under $200 a month. I think...
Yeah, I got my M for $300 and at the time a 3.0si would have been like $225 or $235... dirt cheap!