carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #141
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Given the blue controversy I think it means it’s gotta be lava or lime green.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #142
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Given the blue controversy I think it means it’s gotta be lava or lime green.
They're both great GT colors, but of the two I think I'd go with Lava...if I didn't already have an orange (sic) car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:41 PM   #143
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Remind me why the Spyder is a bad idea. Goofy top and stiff suspension?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #144
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Remind me why the Spyder is a bad idea. Goofy top and stiff suspension?
More the former than the latter. To me one of the nicest things about the Boxster is the ability to drop (and raise) the top on a whim. Getting rid of that functionality seems silly.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #145
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
More the former than the latter. To me one of the nicest things about the Boxster is the ability to drop (and raise) the top on a whim. Getting rid of that functionality seems silly.
I like the spyder because it had a unique look and they are not common.

The mechanism though is ridiculously complex.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:15 PM   #146
FC
Solving problems

Yeah. I came back to my senses. I do think the Spyder looks better, but the top is a bad compromise. Stiffer suspension doesn’t help and it is still more money.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #147
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The Sypder front bumper is undeniably better than the GTS bumper. It's a shame that it's not available as a standalone option.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #148
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The Sypder front bumper is undeniably better than the GTS bumper. It's a shame that it's not available as a standalone option.
Agreed! The Spyder is meaningfully better looking than the GTS to me, but I couldn't justify the impracticality of the top. FC is right though, the price of the Spyder isn't that much higher than the GTS which makes it tempting.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #149
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Agreed! The Spyder is meaningfully better looking than the GTS to me, but I couldn't justify the impracticality of the top. FC is right though, the price of the Spyder isn't that much higher than the GTS which makes it tempting.
What is most tempting is that for me, at least for the foreseeable future, this car will be strictly a toy. Since it will mostly be a fair weather car and will certainly be garaged, I could see the top hardly needing to be up. I don't know that I like the idea of the top being folded for extended periods of time, but that's another issue.

But I've only had the Miata and 987, both of which had excellent, very easy to use tops. And I LOVED that the 987 could close its roof on the move - which I could also do manually on the Miata. I think the Spyder's roof will eventually annoy the heck out of me. The rear clamshell is a PITA and apparently you cannot access the rear trunk with the roof up.

Anyhow, beyond roof mechanics, I do see this used as a weekend getaway car, so ultimately, a GTS is a better fit. It just irks me to give up the looks and that everything is a bit sharper (suspension, shorter shifter throws, slightly better exhaust, more revs, more power). And again, for not much more money.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #150
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
What is most tempting is that for me, at least for the foreseeable future, this car will be strictly a toy. Since it will mostly be a fair weather car and will certainly be garaged, I could see the top hardly needing to be up. I don't know that I like the idea of the top being folded for extended periods of time, but that's another issue.

But I've only had the Miata and 987, both of which had excellent, very easy to use tops. And I LOVED that the 987 could close its roof on the move - which I could also do manually on the Miata. I think the Spyder's roof will eventually annoy the heck out of me. The rear clamshell is a PITA and apparently you cannot access the rear trunk with the roof up.

Anyhow, beyond roof mechanics, I do see this used as a weekend getaway car, so ultimately, a GTS is a better fit. It just irks me to give up the looks and that everything is a bit sharper (suspension, shorter shifter throws, slightly better exhaust, more revs, more power). And again, for not much more money.
I haven't had the chance to drive either one yet, so I don't know how much better the Spyder is dynamically. I will say that the suspension is a lot easier and cheaper to change if you don't like it than the top...