carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Nicely spec’d car,

wish my dad would splurge and get something similar. His biggest splurge was a Chrysler Sebring convertible
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
That color is great.

Or at least the color my phone thinks it is is great.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Looks like a fun drive and a cool car. I look forward to the idea of road trips with my daughter once she's older.
Today is the three year anniversary of my then 13yo daughter and I flying out to San Diego to drive my dad's Jaguar XK8 back east. Saturday, a couple days ago, my now 14yo daughter and I did a nine hour partial lap around the Chesapeake Bay (across the Bay Bridge, down the eastern shore, over/through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, stopping for Krispie Kreme doughnuts in Richmond, and back home) because our plan to go to Detroit and Toronto was called off by snow. We also had the Toronto trip last summer and to see the eclipse in 2017.

The trips are great fun. Highly recommend. Wish I'd started the daddy-daughter trips at earlier ages. We've had plenty of long distance family road trips since they were babies, but there's something different when it's just two of you.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #14
JST

Thanks, yeah—it was a cool trip and a neat experience.

The color is really nice in person, too—much more subtle than the brighter reds, but it goes well with the black top and wheels. And it looks a little more mature than the ones with stripes, at least until you start drifting.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Sounds fun.

Feedback on the car is a good read.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The trips are great fun. Highly recommend. Wish I'd started the daddy-daughter trips at earlier ages. We've had plenty of long distance family road trips since they were babies, but there's something different when it's just two of you.
Definitely. The dynamic is so different, compared to when the whole family is in the car. My mom still talks about the times when, as a child, her dad would drive her to go shopping in Duluth, and how special that made her feel because she had his undivided attention. Those are the moments in time that your kids (and you) will always remember.

My youngest has received the lion's share of the 1:1 road trips with me because of her travel lacrosse. I love these trips because we talk, joke, and listen to music in the car. No stress, no reservations, no drama. I hope that my kids feel the same way that my mom did.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Aside from the deep gears, that sounds like a pretty excellent road trip car.

Did you take any mental notes on how the trip would have been different in the hamburger?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Thanks, yeah—it was a cool trip and a neat experience.

The color is really nice in person, too—much more subtle than the brighter reds, but it goes well with the black top and wheels. And it looks a little more mature than the ones with stripes, at least until you start drifting.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Aside from the deep gears, that sounds like a pretty excellent road trip car.

Did you take any mental notes on how the trip would have been different in the hamburger?
Our stops would have been slightly more structured. I set off from CHS knowing where we were going to spend the night but other than that I didn't really plan where to stop--I wouldn't have done that in the Tesla. Also, I'm not sure I would have tried to average 85 in the Tesla. It can do it, but the energy consumption goes way up at that speed, so keeping it under 80 is better for overall time management.

But there are enough superchargers on 95 now that it wouldn't have dramatically changed the trip. We'd have needed to stop in Lumberton or Fayetteville for a charge on Day One, which would have increased our time en route, but if we'd been able to charge overnight in Rocky Mount (or supercharge at the supercharger that was coincidentally in the parking lot of where we had dinner) we probably wouldn't have had to stop at all on the second day. That would have deprived me of my gas stop at the Slip In, though, which is a little Americana that I'd be sad to lose.

The Mustang is a good trip car for two people. More than that you'd run out of luggage space, but it was relatively comfortable and not loud by the standards of a convertible. It's better on the highway than my Boxster is.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #20
robg
Carmudgeon

Wow- very cool. Wish my dad had that kind of taste in cars! I'd love a Mustang GT one day
robg is offline   Reply With Quote