carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #71
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes I had that realization as the pedal went straight to the floor and the car did not slow down at all.

Fortunately for me and Ks car, I was going pretty slow and remembered to use the handbrake.
When I read this, my first reaction was I think I would have tried to Flinstone it and stuck my foot out the door. The handbrake seems like a much better solution.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #72
JST

In case anyone is interested, I came across this extremely detailed service information training manual Porsche did for the launch of the 987.2:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...pyder-pdf.html

Very comprehensive info in there about the differences between the 987.2 and the earlier cars.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #73
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The look on his face when I snapped the bolt on that brace wasn’t bad either.
Quote:
That was a loud noise.
Did you replace the bolt yet?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #74
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Did you replace the bolt yet?
Ha ha funny story about that.

I looked up the part number in the ETK (which Porsche puts online, btw, very nice of them) and ordered it from Pelican Parts and...idk, I must have typed in the part number wrong or something, because what I got was about 30mm too long.

So, I double checked everything and re-ordered and now am waiting for the proper bolt to arrive.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #75
JST

Just a quick further thanks to JV for suggesting the Ohlins and to Nick for the install. They’re really a nice upgrade and I enjoyed the hell out of banging around with them today.

I’ve also managed to scratch both the outside and inside of the car in pretty conspicuous ways in the past couple of weeks, which is less good. But at least it drives great!
Old 01-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #76
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Just a quick further thanks to JV for suggesting the Ohlins and to Nick for the install. They’re really a nice upgrade and I enjoyed the hell out of banging around with them today.

I’ve also managed to scratch both the outside and inside of the car in pretty conspicuous ways in the past couple of weeks, which is less good. But at least it drives great!
Arghh ... what happened ?

I hate when I scratch my own car ... it happened to me too when putting up outdoor Christmas lights last month ... my wife couldn’t see the scratch (I admit it was super tiny) but I know it’s there.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #77
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Cement parking stops are my Achilles heel. The M3 in the. past, and I just recent crawled up a little too close to one with my 2. Low-hanging body work and that crap is a bad combo.

That bad feeling when you know you're on it and have to back up off of it slowly.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #78
JST

The scratch on the trunk came from a bike rack, which I carelessly set down for a second on its side.

The scratch inside came from a tv I was taking to donate. I should have taken the other car but the weather was so nice...
Old 01-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #79
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:

Bummer about the scratches, but cheers for the suspension. I keep contemplating upgrading mine, but I'm currently succeeding in being frugal
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #80
JST

So, an irritating thing that I posted about a while back (and predates my suspension upgrade): On some turns, the car makes a pronounced creaking noise from the left rear. It doesn't do it over bumps, just with weight shift/chassis flex.

I was sort of hoping that the strut swap would fix it, but it didn't.

So, I found this thread and thought it was the answer--sounds like the same noise I am experiencing.

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,24754,24754

Basically suggesting that you re-grease the ball joint in the LCA. What the hell, seems easy enough, so I gave that a shot this weekend. No luck. Creak is still there, undiminished.

I ordered some sway bar bushings and even some new drop links b/c Nick mentioned the bushings looked loose when we were doing the struts. But in the meantime I thought about it more, and while it's *possible* it's the sway bar, it doesn't really sound like it's coming from back there--and, like I said, it doesn't happen on bumps, just with weight shift. And it doesn't really sound like it's coming from down low, it sounds like it's coming from up high, but the strut is obvs bolted to the car up top, so there's no real movement up there. And the noise can't really be reproduced just bouncing the car up and down when parked.

So then I found this thread.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/mys...-solved.83076/

Which...is really interesting, because it suggests it's not the suspension at all, but rather the airbox flexing against a grommet that gets hard over time.

I haven't had a chance to try lubing this yet, because the procedure for getting at that part is fairly involved.

Thoughts? Anyone run across anything like this before?