carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 22,821
718 4.0L engine will be around for a few years

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/por...nd-until-2026/

So says the piece above. I imagine the car may well get refreshed or redone into another gen, but I love the idea of the engine sticking around. Either because it may be long enough to convince me to do something stupid, or at least because there may be enough sales to keep resale reasonable to be able to afford a used one.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/por...nd-until-2026/

So says the piece above. I imagine the car may well get refreshed or redone into another gen, but I love the idea of the engine sticking around. Either because it may be long enough to convince me to do something stupid, or at least because there may be enough sales to keep resale reasonable to be able to afford a used one.
Probably won't happen - but it would be cool if Porsche used this engine in the next generation of "Carrera T". They've already spent the development costs, so why not use this engine in a 911 variant as well.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 22,821
At this point, I'm almost coming to terms with the idea that the next gen Boxster will be some hybrid, non-MT car. I still hope that the next gen GTS or Spyder versions will exist in H6 NA+MT variants, but if they don't, as long as at least there is a 911 (T or similar) version, I may have to consider it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 14,280
I have a question, please.

What is really the functional difference between the 718 GTS and the 718 GT4?

Itís the same engine. I donít really understand the other differences.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I have a question, please.

What is really the functional difference between the 718 GTS and the 718 GT4?

Itís the same engine. I donít really understand the other differences.
I haven't looked at the 718 that much... So I'm sure I could search as you could. However, as a real-world though short time owner of a 981 GT4, here are a few things that jump out:
- GT4 comes with PSC2 tires not PSS or PS4 street tires
- GT4 tire sizes are 245/295 not 235/265. While this means more grip, it's more planted in the rear
- GT4 comes with GT3 suspension bits. Again, less playful, more planted in the rear

Arguably, the boxsters and caymans I've owned and driven other than the gt4 are noticeably weaker than a 911 on power application, apex onward. You have to be far more careful applying, whereas you can get on earlier and harder on the 911. The GT4, while not rear-engined, corrects this a good amount by going from the simpler rear suspension to a 911-like rear suspension as well as widening the rears. To me, on the street, that's not more fun, but I'm sure it'll post better lap times. Also, even storing MPSC2 is a hassle as they cannot be in winter temperatures, let alone be driven in them. They are also inferior to the MPSS, MPS4 in the rain.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 14,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I haven't looked at the 718 that much... So I'm sure I could search as you could. However, as a real-world though short time owner of a 981 GT4, here are a few things that jump out:
- GT4 comes with PSC2 tires not PSS or PS4 street tires
- GT4 tire sizes are 245/295 not 235/265. While this means more grip, it's more planted in the rear
- GT4 comes with GT3 suspension bits. Again, less playful, more planted in the rear

Arguably, the boxsters and caymans I've owned and driven other than the gt4 are noticeably weaker than a 911 on power application, apex onward. You have to be far more careful applying, whereas you can get on earlier and harder on the 911. The GT4, while not rear-engined, corrects this a good amount by going from the simpler rear suspension to a 911-like rear suspension as well as widening the rears. To me, on the street, that's not more fun, but I'm sure it'll post better lap times. Also, even storing MPSC2 is a hassle as they cannot be in winter temperatures, let alone be driven in them. They are also inferior to the MPSS, MPS4 in the rain.
that's great input. thank you. i'll keep that in mind when i'm poking around in the cars tomorrow.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC