carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Car to hold me over

So while I wait for 18 or even a 19 Comp M2’s to come to a price point I want I thought I could cure my return to a vert issue for a minute by buying a 06-07 S2000. I know these low mileage ones also command a silly price BUT if I pay that price for a low mileage one and take care of it and drive less then 5K a year, like I do now, I feel I will not loose much.

I know these are gutless wonders under 6K and as I get older ultimate power is no longer a thing for me. If it was I would not look at the 981s or the M2. There are plenty more less engaging cars with WAY more power used for cheaper (C63).

I have some other bills and investments I would like to take care of first while I wait for the used M2’s to come down.

I think AF had one and sold it right away due to the drive it like you stole it demeanor of the car. I am not a stranger to this type of car or driving. I have had both a 91 CRX si and a 94 Turbo MR2.

Anyway I think I am going to do it.

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

I did have one and you’re right as soon as the title came in I sold it, my issue with that car was I found it loud and too small. I am a big fan of Japanese sports cars, I had both generations of the MR2 with the latter being the turbo, I also had an RX-7 and RX-8 so I know Japanese cars but the S2000 was not for me.

It was loud with the top up, the top down, etc. it was not loud like my 911 which I like, it was loud in an annoying way, I am not sure I could really explain it. Anyway it was fun to drive for the few months I had it and I wouldn’t go by me, the guy I sold it to loved it. He actually did like an insane road trip from NY to Canada and was happy as can be. I also have a good friend who is a big car guy he has a 70’s 911, he had an R8 as well as many other sports cars and he found a low mileage S2000 and loves it.

Btw I’ve driven Miatas and boxsters a lot and they did not have this feeling.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I agree with AF, they are definitely a very ... specific experience. I found the S2000 to be unbearably loud and coarse in normal driving. It was okay (though gutless) around town but on the highway they are so incredibly loud as to be really unpleasant.

I do have friends that absolutely love them, they're just not my cup of tea.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
ff

If it had made any sense for my scenario, I'd still own the 2007 I had. As long as you don't expect to go around drag racing at every stoplight, it's perfectly usable and sprightly around town. And rowing that gearbox is an absolute joy.

Yeah, they're loud on the highway. With basically no insulation, and the engine turning 4000 RPM at highway speed... well, it was fine for normal daily commutes, but fairly unpleasant on road trips of any length.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
It would definitely be a contrast to your M5! And might be something you could keep along with the M2, when you get it. All that said, I’d get a Miata instead.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
JST

Yes on Miata instead—I’ve really tried to like the S2K, because I dig the concept and love the way they look. But...they just aren’t fun, to me.

Why not a 987 or 986? You can buy one cheap, they’re at the bottom of their depreciation curve, and if you get one that’s had the IMS done you won’t risk much.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I think the idea is smart. You're not going to lose any money on the m5 if it sits a bit, it will give you something different to drive and kick the 'vert bug.

On older cars like that there is so little depreciation left that the cost of ownership is negligible.

I will, of course, say you should check out a 1er 'vert, but I'm biased.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Thanks all. I knew the vote would be no from this crowd so I am not surprised but I need to drive one again since it has been almost 10y since my last experience. I don’t really DO road trips and my normal driving experience is to the ferry or the gym and back so I don't think I would get to tired of the highway drone.

Wd I would be selling the M5 and paying cash for the S2000 while I save some money and also improve some financial goals in my life for a 2-3y period.

The ultimate short term goal is no car payments, a fun vert that is reliable that I don’t spend a ton of money on where I can also make most of my money spent back in the end. The S2000 seems to fit that bill pretty well.

Edit: The end goal would be to satisfy my short term want for a vert and save to get an 19 M2 comp after.

Edit Edit: This went for less then I thought looking at prices recently.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-honda-s2000-25/

In a car like this I am searching for Red or Yellow. All of the other colors make the kind or boring lines a yawn.

Last edited by Theo; 07-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I have to say that even the Miata gets tiring and too loud if driving on the highway for more than 20 minutes or so. Hard to have a conversation.

When I drove down to see you guys, I literally used headphones. I was trying to listen to German lessons and even with a very loud volume (within reason) I could not make out the subtleties of the German pronunciation. Of course, that was several hours of driving, but still.

If the S2000 is worse, yikes! But around town, the Miata is great top down or up. It's not exactly a pleasant/refined sound, but it's a fun/exciting sound all the way to redline.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
ff

$27K! That's crazy. I paid $28 for mine in 2007.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote