carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #41
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I really doubt that an 18-year old driving him/herself is safer than taking a Lyft/uber.

And your daughter is 18. She's going to make some really, really bad decisions. I know I did, and I'm pretty sure that you did too. Between teenage judgement, peer pressure, Florida (so I pretty much assume it's a party school - and my Dad graduated from FSU and my grandfather was a professor there, so don't think that I have something against Florida schools), I can pretty much guarantee that she's going to get in to stupid shit.
Before I respond to this I'm just curious ... do you have kids ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #42
robg
Carmudgeon

For 325 a month you could probably even lease a lower spec BMW (320) or Audi sedan (A4 ultra maybe) with 0 down. Try and find an ex dealer demo for the best deal. Unless she has her heart set on the Jeep, I think there are much better options from a safety/fuel economy/drivability perspective.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #43
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
For 325 a month you could probably even lease a lower spec BMW (320) or Audi sedan (A4 ultra maybe) with 0 down. Try and find an ex dealer demo for the best deal. Unless she has her heart set on the Jeep, I think there are much better options from a safety/fuel economy/drivability perspective.
Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated ... the Jeep is out, I checked the safety ratings and am not comfortable having one of my kids driving it on Florida's highways where the speed limits can be up to 70 mph.

I am now checking the Hyundai Tucson & Kia Sportage which both had good safety ratings and am just waiting to hear back from both dealers.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #44
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated ... the Jeep is out, I checked the safety ratings and am not comfortable having one of my kids driving it on Florida's highways where the speed limits can be up to 70 mph.

I am now checking the Hyundai Tucson & Kia Sportage which both had good safety ratings and am just waiting to hear back from both dealers.
Cool- also check out Volvo S90 leases. Heres a thread from leasehackr back in June to get an idea for what's possible:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/june-...8/48251?page=4
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #45
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Cool- also check out Volvo S90 leases. Heres a thread from leasehackr back in June to get an idea for what's possible:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/june-...8/48251?page=4
Thanks for the link I’m going to check it out !!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #46
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Does the Amtrak car train from NYC to Florida still exist?

Edit: Runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, wherever that is. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train
Thanks for this idea, I really appreciate it, I booked it today since we’re going down for family weekend in a couple of weeks. My wife and daughter will fly down and if I can convince my son we will make the drive together and cancel our flights.

My thoughts are I got this car for my daughter and having it sit in our driveway is ridiculous. I drove it today and it just hit 3,000 Miles ... this car needs to be driven. I decided to have the windows tinted and what happens on campus happens ...

Thanks again ... I would have never thought of this option.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #47
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Thanks for this idea, I really appreciate it, I booked it today since we’re going down for family weekend in a couple of weeks. My wife and daughter will fly down and if I can convince my son we will make the drive together and cancel our flights.

My thoughts are I got this car for my daughter and having it sit in our driveway is ridiculous. I drove it today and it just hit 3,000 Miles ... this car needs to be driven. I decided to have the windows tinted and what happens on campus happens ...

This sounds like the right outcome if you want her to have a car down there. Glad it worked out. Should be an experience for you and your son too.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #48
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

Cool. Definitely share your experience with us!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #49
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Do you have to be on the train? How long is that train ride?

I might prefer to drive than sit on a train.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #50
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Great choice. I honestly think it'll end up being cheaper to have an a4 on campus rather than an a4 on LI and the Jeep on campus. Like stuff doesn't happen to Jeeps?

One of my JGC headlights is more than $1000.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote