carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #1121
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I guess BMW cost cutting strikes again...
Old 01-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #1122
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Waze on CarPlay works for my needs
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...60&postcount=9

Waze on the phone is better than through CarPlay. Much. If Waze through CarPlay works for you, enjoy it.

If Waze had an "ignore CarPlay" switch that allowed Waze to work as it did before CarPlay capability, all would be right with the world. Instead, if your phone is plugged into a Car with CarPlay enabled, it forces you to use CarPlay and that is a completely unusable scenario for me. So I have to set my car to disable CarPlay and lose all the rest of CarPlay's functionality. That sucks, but it's less bad than Waze through CarPaly.

Quote:
The default keyless behavior works well. Having buttons on the back door and not just the front door makes it easy to unlock only the drivers or all doors by deciding which button to push. I hadn’t seen the buttons on the back doors before...
Without rear doors, dunno

I think I preferred the Ford Focus ST's version without buttons. There was a capacitive pad to touch to lock and you simply opened the door to unlock.

OTOH, the FoST got kind of wonky when washing the car and the doors would lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock-unlock forever.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #1123
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

I think I preferred the Ford Focus ST's version without buttons. There was a capacitive pad to touch to lock and you simply opened the door to unlock.

OTOH, the FoST got kind of wonky when washing the car and the doors would lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock-unlock forever.
The GM products have real buttons? That is odd. Although if my key is in my pocket, I have the same issue with car washing.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #1124
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Huh, so it wasn't just the wife's Fusion that did that
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #1125
JST

Yeah the Golf does the same thing during car washes. You have to leave the keys inside.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #1126
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah the Golf does the same thing during car washes. You have to leave the keys inside.
You mean inside the house, right? cause I tried leaving the fob inside the car and that did nothing to turn off the light show in the Fusion. I don't know if Clyde's ST had the same interior/exterior lighting features as our Fusion did, but it was quite a light show while washing the car
Old 01-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #1127
ZBB
Relic

What happens when it rains?

Sounds like Ford need to add a carwash mode to disable the capacitive touch input for a bit -- kind of like water mode on an Apple Watch… Perhaps that's what VW does when the FOB is inside the car?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #1128
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

Sounds like Ford need to add a carwash mode to disable the capacitive touch input for a bit -- kind of like water mode on an Apple Watch… Perhaps that's what VW does when the FOB is inside the car?
rain wouldn't matter, on the Fusion it was all about your hand touching the door handle (not even pulling on it) and door unlock engaged
Old 01-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #1129
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

It was sometimes finicky and non-responsive when raining, but almost never took more than two or three attempts. When covered in salt grime, it would often be non responsive without a wipe down of some kind.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #1130
ZBB
Relic

After 4.5 months, it looks like I'm finally getting my car back sometime next week.

I called the body shop to get an update yesterday and the rear subframe had finally come in and it was being installed along with the suspension. Its supposed to go in for an alignment on Monday, then it just needs to be cleaned. They said either Tues or Wed for it to be done.

And I'm going in circles with insurance -- my insurance advised that I submit directly to the other party's insurance. So I sent in rental car bills for Nov to mid Jan last week, and they came back and said they couldn't pay based on my submission and I need to work with my insurance. Fun. Next comes the diminished value claim, and I will attempt to go for loss of use since I really haven't had a comparable rental car (and had about 4 weeks with no rental -- just shared a car with my wife).

I also swapped out rental cars again -- Hertz upgraded me to an Infiniti Q50 this time. Quite an upgrade after having an Impala for the last 3 weeks...