carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Experienced Ludicrous+ mode

I am not a Tesla guy so I don't know what the exact model is, but I do know from the CEO that he has the fastest Model S Tesla makes with every option checked. Our CEO (and part owner - family company) is a pretty laid back guy who fancies himself a mini-Musk/Jobs type of guy.

Anyhow, Friday afternoon he took me and three others for a quick ride. Note that while we were all fairly slender passengers for being Americans, it was still a solid 650lb+ penalty for the 4 additional passengers. The driver is a good 190-200lbs.

The acceleration from a full stop was simply outrageous. Notably, it was the first second or so that was most remarkable. Don't get me wrong, it continued to pull like mad, but I've had a very hard-accelerating car and while the Tesla was faster, from about 1-2 seconds on it didn't make me rethink automotive performance.

But that first second? No joke, my face hurt. Really, my cheekbones felt... something. That was insane. I am looking forward to one day getting something like that.

Other comments: Liked the seats. Very comfortable. Woefully lacking in lateral support. Clearly the car is meant for straight-line giggles. And it's spectacular at it.

The owner, a self-proclaimed non-car guy who just loves tech and needs to have the latest and a software guy by training, seemed very excited to show the fart mode and other Easter eggs.

In the process (and riding shotgun), I saw him use the screen a lot, and mind you this guy has had Model S's for several years now and was quite familiar with the UI. Let me tell you, I like it less. My fears about no tactile feedback and having to get your eyes off the road to interact with it were fully realized. Maybe that was not normal (accessing certain menus/dialogues, etc) but it looked clumsy and unsafe.

Anyway, it was a tremendous experience. It also confirms EV's are the obvious architecture for performance on on the street. I am also glad to have a stickshift. At least that way you get the full IC experience. Track use is different of course.

OT from this morning: The M3 accidentally drifted a fair bit on an on-ramp this morning. It surprised me a little. I checked and tire temps were in the low 30's and I suppose I was fairly aggressive on the gas with narrow (square) winter tires, but still. That was unexpected, fun, a little startling, but ultimately the cars was ridiculously well balanced and it wound up being a beautiful drift.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote