carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
M3 review

I've only put a few dozen miles in the US, but add the 1400+ miles I put in Europe and here is my review:

1) The Miata is more fun in a lot of respects. This is not dissimilar from when I had the 997TT and the MCS, where the latter was more fun at low speeds and around town.

2) That said, like the 997TT, this car is quite fast (not 997TT-fast, but 90% as fast), with the obvious benefit of seating 5 adults, far newer technology and comfort (easier to get in and out), large trunk, etc. The similarities with the 997TT at 90% are many: too fast but also offers opportunity for giggles, it's an event to drive it (sounds, looks, interior, ego/douche factor, etc.), feeling fortunate/guilty for having it. It's a lot of money spent on a want. At least the latter is massively countered with the tremendous practicality, which the 997TT lacked.

3) Auto rev-match: It's a love/hate thing. I thought it would be all hate, but it is really impeccably executed and you feel like a hero when it's enabled. It also ruins some of the fun and definitely throws me off when I go into manual mode.

4) The car sounds quite nice. Sure, maybe not E90-nice, but it sounds good and sporty. The ability to quiet it down or make it loud with a button is awesome. Haven't even noticed the fake sounds, so they are at least well-executed.

5) Yes, it's big and heavy-ish (remember, it's not much heavier than the 997TT), and there is some detachment there, but for what it is, it is remarkably agile and controlled and dare I say, fun. They must have worked some serious magic with the ZCP and 2018 MY changes because this car is great. There is a TON of grip and I've felt no reason to not push the car. It's been totally stable and confidence-inspiring. Like old BMW 3er's but with higher limits.

6) Easily the best clutch/shifter combo I've driven in a modern BMW (E46+), though the clutch is a bit light.

7) iDrive is great and the infotech UI is as well-executed as I've ever seen. Still not perfect. Also, I can't seem to find a way to skip a track from the steering wheel. I should probably RTFM at some point.

8) Those wheels are going to be a gigantic PITA to clean. Hopefully the black/grey-ness will buy me some time without looking totally gross.

9) I like my sunroof

10) The HUD is pretty awesome, though, other than during NAV use (puts turn-by-turn directions on HUD), I see no reason not to be on M-display mode (only mode that shows revs)

11) The sound system is strange. I feel like I need to be halfway up the volume dial to get remotely loud music. It's better in many ways as I feel I have more resolution at the low end, but I wonder if the upper end is not really that loud. I'll try it one day. Sound quality is good, not great.

12) I know it's new and clean, but I suspect my 14+ years without a ticket will come to an end with this attention-grabber of a car. The grey/charcoal 997TT was surprisingly stealthy. Not this.

Last edited by FC; 08-27-2018 at 08:35 AM.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
9) I like my sunroof
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
That was for you.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
thanks for the review

Quote:
3) Auto rev-match: It's a love/hate thing. I thought it would be all hate, but it is really impeccably executed and you feel like a hero when it's enabled. It also ruins some of the fun and definitely throws me off when I go into manual mode.
Is disabling it require disabling traction control like the m2?
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
thanks for the review

Is disabling it require disabling traction control like the m2?
No. But you can only disable it by going to Sport Plus mode, which also does NOT allow you to turn it on.

That is a HUGE miss by BMW to not just have an independent toggle for it.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
No. But you can only disable it by going to Sport Plus mode, which also does NOT allow you to turn it on.

That is a HUGE miss by BMW to not just have an independent toggle for it.
Great write up and again stunning car. That color is to dye for.

At least it’s off in sport mode with some traction nanies still enabaled. As Jeff pointed out in the M2 everything has to be off to not have it. Just stupid. Btw on my test drive it was the single most agreivating thing I disliked about the car. I hate it.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Great write up and again stunning car. That color is to dye for.

At least it’s off in sport mode with some traction nanies still enabaled. As Jeff pointed out in the M2 everything has to be off to not have it. Just stupid. Btw on my test drive it was the single most agreivating thing I disliked about the car. I hate it.
Thanks. I must say, it does photograph more red than in real life. It’s a dark metallic burned orange which can look reddish, but not as much as the photos would make you believe.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
I never listen to the radio but do use Sirius... to change stations you scroll through the selector on the right side of the steering wheel, then click when you get the one you want. It scrolls through them on the HUD or probably on the bottom of the instrument panel if you don’t have HUD.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

2) That said, like the TT, this car is quite fast (not TT-fast, but 90% as fast), with the obvious benefit of seating 5 adults, far newer technology and comfort (easier to get in and out), large trunk, etc. The similarities with the TT at 90% are many: too fast but also offers opportunity for giggles, it's an event to drive it (sounds, looks, interior, ego/douche factor, etc.), feeling fortunate/guilty for having it. It's a lot of money spent on a want. At least the latter is massively countered with the tremendous practicality, which the TT lacked.
Great write up ... the M3 is definitely a very special car and in that color it is stunning.

These last couple of lines get to me a bit, You’re the type that plans these things out carefully and it wasn’t an easy decision for you to spend this much money on yourself.

Stop the guilt, it’s ok to get something you want especially since you took care of all of your other obligations first (the wife, kids, house, etc.)

Also it’s not like you blew $80k, the car has a value and the big picture after a few years is going to be more like $20k to $30k spent.

Anyway I hope this eases your guilt ... enjoy your new beast !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Thanks! I am enjoying it quite a bit. Funny thing is that my new job involves ~7 miles of highway driving. I'm lucky that it's against traffic, but this open up two issues I never have to worry about before:

1) This car just loves to do triple digit speeds and when I hold it in the 70's even in 6th gear, it feels like it's ready to pounce and get to 100mph. Driving it for hundreds of miles in the Autobahn doesn't help. I really have to be careful with tickets. The section is also one of those 55mph zones that EVERY ONE goes 75mph and sometimes more. So cops can pretty much pull over anyone they want at any time for any reason. People do 70mph+ with impunity past speed traps. I'm afraid of one day "accidentally" doing 90 trying to get around someone doing 65 and getting a massive ticket. I know. That's dumb and I should just control my speed better.

2) I am FAR more exposed to chips from fast traffic in front. I'm torn about paying for a full front-end wrap or just letting it be.

Additional, unrelated comments:

A) WTF is up with the "Efficient Dynamics" suggested gear indicator nonsense? The car displays your current gear - a helpful thing, so I am OK with that. But it also shows in smaller font and in gray, what gear you ought to be in to be most efficient. This morning, I'm doing ~32mph in 3rd (which is about 2krpm) and the car was suggesting I go to 6th gear. That's right. 6th!

B) I found out how to skip a track. The roller on the right side of the steering wheel can move you through your play list and then you just push to select. This works great for itunes music in my phone, but not when using Spotify. I still need to RTFM.