carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old Today, 01:22 PM   #6071
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I like the sport design bumper a lot better. Yes the extra $3k is silly but if you’re looking at a car that is going to be $150k+ does it really matter?

Agree the general S buyer more likely to want a sunroof vs. T but I don’t know the Porsche community well enough to know how rare/desirable a slick top build would be down the road.

Re the sport design bumper expense, it has more to do with additional out-of-pocket expense with ttt than the overall cost of the vehicle. I want to keep the build in check because as we all know it can get out of hand rather quickly at Porsche.

Re the sunroof, I currently have the glass sunroof spec’d on my S allocation, but I have since decided that I am probably going to remove it. One, I will rarely use it therefore it is a waste of money, Two in adds 75+ lbs in the wrong place as well as rises the center of gravity, and Three it supposedly winds buffets rather badly when open on the 992s.

Last edited by SCA; Today at 02:23 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #6072
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Re the sport design bumper expense, it has more to do with additional out-of-pocket expense with ttt than the overall cost of the vehicle. I want to keep the build in check because as we all know it can get out of hand rather quickly at Porsche.

Re the sunroof, I currently have the glass sunroof spec’d on my S allocation, but I have since decided that I am probably going to remove it. One, I will rarely use it therefore it is a waste of money, Two in adds 75+ lbs in the wrong place as well as rises the center of gravity, and Three it supposably winds buffets rather badly when open on the 992s.
I’m with you. I never use the sunroof on hardtops. My OCD says it’s just another fail point on a German car. I know. I’m scarred by the E61 experience and the shitty drain plugs.

That written, the Carrera S has plenty of power, easy to offset the added weight if that bothers you at all. To be honest, as I learn more, it’s the seats which are heavy. And if this car was primarily for me (it is not), I’d have gotten four way seats. I think they’re quite good. And I”m sure they’re lighter. I wish I could have gotten LWBs, but I don’t even think that’s an option on a Carrera S, is it?

Can’t wait to learn more about your config as time goes by. I’m glad you got a manual 992.1; it does sound more and more grim about getting a manual in the 992.2.

What I’m gathering is that the way Porsche is getting around tough emissions averages is by doing these limited runs of cars (which can be manual) but impossible to obtain. The small limited numbers of these limited run cars somehow bypass the corp fleet average? Or impact the average less. The mainstream cars will be all PDK.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 PM   #6073
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I’m with you. I never use the sunroof on hardtops. My OCD says it’s just another fail point on a German car. I know. I’m scarred by the E61 experience and the shitty drain plugs.

That written, the Carrera S has plenty of power, easy to offset the added weight if that bothers you at all. To be honest, as I learn more, it’s the seats which are heavy. And if this car was primarily for me (it is not), I’d have gotten four way seats. I think they’re quite good. And I”m sure they’re lighter. I wish I could have gotten LWBs, but I don’t even think that’s an option on a Carrera S, is it?

Can’t wait to learn more about your config as time goes by. I’m glad you got a manual 992.1; it does sound more and more grim about getting a manual in the 992.2.

What I’m gathering is that the way Porsche is getting around tough emissions averages is by doing these limited runs of cars (which can be manual) but impossible to obtain. The small limited numbers of these limited run cars somehow bypass the corp fleet average? Or impact the average less. The mainstream cars will be all PDK.
I thought about doing the all metal sunroof, but I have recently come to learn that it is steel versus the standard slicktop roof being all aluminum. Hard pass on that one. I would be better off to just stick with the glass SR vs the metal one.

Yes, the 18 ways are heavy. Something like 41+ lbs each and that does not include the necessary wiring for them. I am sticking with the 4 way Sport Plus seats. Correct, no LWBs for the S. Available in a T which even at 5’11” and currently a 142 lbs I would not ever want them. I have enough trouble getting out of a 992 at my age (nearly 53). It is only going to get worse too.

Last edited by SCA; Today at 04:52 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #6074
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I thought about doing the all metal sunroof, but I have recently come to learn that it is steel versus the standard slicktop roof being all aluminum. Hard pass on that one. I would be better off to just stick with the glass SR vs the metal one.

Yes, the 18 ways are heavy. Something like 41+ lbs each and that does not include the necessary wiring for them. I am sticking with the 4 way Sport Plus seats. Correct, no LWBs for the S. Available in a T which even at 5’11” and currently a 142 lbs I would not ever want them. I have enough trouble getting out of a 992 at my age (nearly 53). It is only going to get worse too.
Kudos to you! I love the 4 way sport seats.

I love that.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote