carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #91
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
I don't see it as a camera or lens problem. Looks to me like a combination of wrong focus point, relatively wide open aperture (shooting at f5 your depth of field is going to make it difficult to get all of a car in focus) and some camera shake.
If he was using only a single AF point, and that point was on one of the completely black areas, then it would be very difficult to lock focus. There has to be a decent amount of contrast for a good focus lock.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #92
JST

Recreating the Porsche "everyday" ad...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313898127.435109.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	6775  
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #93
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Here's an example of what Alex is talking about - had I used f8 or greater, I might have had a good pic, but at f5 or whatever it was I used, I lost focus on the bike closest to the camera.

I'd like to try this shot again - will take more time to get it right next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridgewater 3.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	6776  
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #94
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Actually, the lens is acting up. It's my 18-200. Even in my kitchen just now, I can't get it to focus on objects I've set out. It keeps going from one stop to the other and won't find focus.

It was acting weird when I was taking the shots, but it was acting like it was finding focus. And some of the shots are pretty close. But now it won't find focus at all.

Switch to the crappy kit lenses that came with the camera and there's no problem.
Well there's that.

Alex
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #95
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity View Post
If he was using only a single AF point, and that point was on one of the completely black areas, then it would be very difficult to lock focus. There has to be a decent amount of contrast for a good focus lock.
I find something to focus on and recompose. I don't like multiple AF points and not being sure what the camera is focusing on.

Alex
Old 08-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #96
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Here's an example of what Alex is talking about - had I used f8 or greater, I might have had a good pic, but at f5 or whatever it was I used, I lost focus on the bike closest to the camera.

I'd like to try this shot again - will take more time to get it right next time.
That's cool.

Alex
Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #97
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Actually, the lens is acting up. It's my 18-200.
Check this thread out. Apparently there is a common problem with the lens that has a pretty easy at-home fix that I didn't know of until now. If that's not the issue...

Consider sending in to Nikon. If it's under 5 years old (and US market), it should still be under warranty. They'll fix or replace. If they fix, they'll also recalibrate, check everything and fix anything else that's wrong. What you get back is essentially a "brand new" refurb. Even if it's not under warranty, send it in. If it's cheap enough to be worth fixing, they'll do all the same stuff as if it were under warranty, but only charge you the tier price of the major repair. If it doesn't make economic sense to fix, they'll probably offer you a decent discount on buying a new one.

The biggest complaint I (and most others) have with their service is that wait time can be long. It often isn't, but you just don't know until it's done. It's been a slightly bigger problem since the earthquake because their parts supplies have been constrained, but it sounds like things are getting back to normal.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #98
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post

I think the shot would be 10x better if you just had a different focal point...like the skull and crossbones on the closest bike. I'd probably even open up the aperture a little more to reduce the DOF.

For something like this, though, do it a bunch of ways. Only takes a minute to take the pics, doesn't cost any extra, and then you can take some more time at editing to figure out which ones you like better and why...then apply those lessons next time, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #99
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Check this thread out. Apparently there is a common problem with the lens that has a pretty easy at-home fix that I didn't know of until now. If that's not the issue...

[...]

The biggest complaint I (and most others) have with their service is that wait time can be long. It often isn't, but you just don't know until it's done. It's been a slightly bigger problem since the earthquake because their parts supplies have been constrained, but it sounds like things are getting back to normal.
Does Nikon have something similar to Canon's CPS, and do you own enough stuff to qualify?

I'm less than an hour's drive from one of the 2 Canon USA repair facilities, and they have a dedicated entry / lounge / counter / repair facility for CPS members. All the service I've had done there, I just waited for an hour or so while they did it, and then got it back (free) and went on my merry way.

There's no charge unless they have to replace a major component (lens element, motor, and so on). Stuff like disassembly, cleaning, replacing the O-rings, and so on is free (each year I receive a booklet with coupons for free service - more than I ever use). I think this is to prevent people from dropping off everything they own to be cleaned.

A couple years ago, they fixed the lens that I dropped during the close encounter in the woods with the bear:

on the way back from Bimmerfest 2004. The lens still worked, it just made unhappy grinding noises.

Last year, I had a different lens (the "bicycle pump" 100-400 IS) cleaned as it is always sucking in crud, as well as the sensor cleaned and a general check-out on one of the 1D bodies.

The price for CPS membership is really nominal - I think it's around $200/year. The real cost is in acquiring sufficient equipment to qualify . Plus, you have to have credited work appear in media.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #100
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I think the shot would be 10x better if you just had a different focal point...like the skull and crossbones on the closest bike. I'd probably even open up the aperture a little more to reduce the DOF.

For something like this, though, do it a bunch of ways. Only takes a minute to take the pics, doesn't cost any extra, and then you can take some more time at editing to figure out which ones you like better and why...then apply those lessons next time, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Yes, I did a stupid thing, I was with my wife at a local fair, and rather than hold her up (and she wasn't complaining), I took just one quick shot. Too bad because the lighting and the set up was perfect.

I thought, later, about different DOF's and came upon the idea you're suggesting, however, I didn't think of the skull and crossbones bike as the focal point. Thanks for the tip - I think you're quite right though, it's a good idea to shoot it a few different ways, how can you lose.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote