words to come

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
Hmmm Ford GT... I wouldn't have been able to take such a steady self portrait if it were me. So how was it? I hear it's impossible to heel n' toe in that car due to the pedal arrangement.
armaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Yeah, so, here are some words...

Quote:
Perhaps the scariest thing about it wasn’t the violently refined acceleration. Maybe it wasn’t the total lack of visibility to the driver’s side rear. It probably wasn’t even the fact that everyone in every other car on the street, and every pedestrian in this southern California neighborhood on this Super Bowl Sunday evening (in other words, not too many) looks in your direction with primal bloodlust. No. I think that the scariest thing about it was having a brief premonition of being decapitated by the top of the door when the car owner pushed it closed from the outside to send me on my way. See, the top of the door swings at your neck like a horizontal guillotine if you’re at least six feet tall. Your eyes are on those of your friend, and you can see the reflection of his face on the top of the blade, er door, as it starts coming your way. Yet, somehow, you make yourself short and the whoosh passes overhead, taking only some hair with it, followed by a soft thump as
the door latches closed.
full story

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Melissa
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '07 530xiT
Nice writeup!

"It’s not about dick and it’s not about pussy. It’s not about the party you get when you put them together. "
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Quote:
I wanted to masturbate, but didn’t want to soil the car with my mess (although I wasn’t sure if it could be avoided anyway).

I liked your 2nd to last paragraph, btw. Reminds me of something heard on another board:

Quote:
...and why would the subject of "interior" ever pop up if you really cared about what kinds of driving thrills a particular car could offer you?
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
hello. my name is lemming and i am the stuffed shirt.

that was fun to read.

at varying levels, i am trying to empathize with you and how you felt about the car. i 'think' i feel the same way about my car.

there is such a thing as superfluous power --but those who ponder the non-necessity of it all don't really get it, do they? they'd be the same people who ponder interiors more than the blurring scenery whooshing by.

those who think that too much power is not felt or is not fun need to have this sort of experience on wheels.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
those who ponder the non-necessity of it all don't really get it, do they? they'd be the same people who ponder interiors more than the blurring scenery whooshing by.
That's quite a leap there.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
That's quite a leap there.
how many people nitpick the interior of the mcLaren f1? the enzo? the F40? an F430? having seen all of the aforementioned interiors with my own eyes, they're fine. they're built well, but not luxurious.

but to dwell on that misses the point of those cars.

same logic applies to people wringing their hands about excessive horsepower. why don't those people handwring about excessive numbers of SUVs on the road? that single fact affects their lives more than a handful of sports cars in the nation.

to think about either issue is the same category to me. it's titled "completely missing the point". just like me and any hybrid vehicle.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
there is such a thing as superfluous power --but those who ponder the non-necessity of it all don't really get it, do they? they'd be the same people who ponder interiors more than the blurring scenery whooshing by.
Or endlessly overthink, overanalyze, and overpontificate in order to justify or deny a primal, instinctive reaction instead of letting it be what it is.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Or endlessly overthink, overanalyze, and overpontificate in order to justify or deny a primal, instinctive reaction instead of letting it be what it is.
this is they "why" of the penis?