carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
eGolf troubles and a slushie Tsi Golf

A week ago driving the eGolf out of the blue I get a loud beep and, one after the other, multiple warning messages about systems being disabled or having an error (ABS, airbags, headlamp leveling, "electrical system service required", etc.) Also, regen became disabled. But, the car continued to move (gas and brakes worked). A reboot only fixed the issue for 5 minutes. After it suddenly working/not working over the next 10 minutes, it stayed on permanently until I got home.

Dealer tried to clean sensors in case debris got in ( ). Obviously that didn't work. Now they are ordering a "starter battery." I get the sense the loaner might have an ass groove by the time I return it.Latest update is this Friday.

On the loaner: It's a 2016 TSi. Looks sharp as all other Golf's. Engine is very me at low speeds, sounding as expected. But at higher rpm's it performs well and has plenty of go. Naturally they gave us an auto and I F'n hate it. Good Lord. What a piece of crap. Now, it's possible it's no worse than any other slushie, but it sucks. Why bother with paddles if it will take 2-3 seconds to do what you command?

It all just confirms what I've said all along. Give me a stick or give me a slushie on a car with gobs of (very) low end torque. My LR4 is awesome despite being massive and living 90% of the time between 1-2krpm. On the Golf, you want to break stuff anytime it's under 2500rpm (and it seems to LOVE 1200rpm), and then in that range (if you force it manually), the transmission just doesn't know how to properly behave.

The single speed in the eGolf is awesome.

Last edited by FC; 03-20-2017 at 12:37 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
The 8-speed ZF is nearly instantaneous on my M240i (369 lb/ft of torque; 335 hp). Sorry about the Golf troubles!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
To be fair, the Chevy Malibu we rented in Florida had a crazy responsive transmission. Car didn't sound great, and it did a lot of shifting, but it was seamless and very quick.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote