carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #591
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
not often that i crack up from reading this board. that's hilarious

it's true.

it took my slow brain awhile to understand how goddamn funny what he wrote is.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #592
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

it's true.

it took my slow brain awhile to understand how goddamn funny what he wrote is.
Yeah- i'm still kind of chucking over it. Wonder what would happen if someone made that joke on the Tesla forums. They're near religious fanatics over there.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #593
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #594
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Plant was hit by a giant flying trailer hitch.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #595
JST

For those of you playing along at home, the Model S got another limited price increase recently, which applies only to the Performance model. The price of that jumped $3500, though that's offset by the inclusion of an alcantara headliner, a carbon fiber spoiler (oooo!), and red paint for the brake calipers.

The price of the "Tech Package" also went up by $250 a few weeks ago, which reflects the inclusion of power folding mirrors.

Still no word on whether they'll offer an UnderArmour package, with sports logos and skid plates for the front of the battery.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #596
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
For those of you playing along at home, the Model S got another limited price increase recently, which applies only to the Performance model. The price of that jumped $3500, though that's offset by the inclusion of an alcantara headliner, a carbon fiber spoiler (oooo!), and red paint for the brake calipers.

The price of the "Tech Package" also went up by $250 a few weeks ago, which reflects the inclusion of power folding mirrors.

Still no word on whether they'll offer an UnderArmour package, with sports logos and skid plates for the front of the battery.
Smart of them to keep raising the price on the top model. I would bet that P85 customers are pretty price insensitive and that there "is no substitute" for them. Given that they are still production constrained I"m atually surprised they haven't raise the prices on the other models as well.

Ha- I woudnt even joke about that....could actually see Tesla offering it.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #597
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Given that they are still production constrained I"m atually surprised they haven't raise the prices on the other models as well.

Ha- I woudnt even joke about that....could actually see Tesla offering it.
The've already done at least 2 price increases -- Jan 1 and in early August.

The August change left the base price the same, but changed most of the option prices. It also unbundled some things from the tech package and made them separate options.

Buying a car equipped the same as mine now costs ~$5k more than. That car would have power folding mirrors, but everything else would be the same...
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #598
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

The August change left the base price the same, but changed most of the option prices. It also unbundled some things from the tech package and made them separate options.

Buying a car equipped the same as mine now costs ~$5k more than. That car would have power folding mirrors, but everything else would be the same...
i wouldn't hold that against them at all. they're actually manufacturing something, and were discounting for early adopters to get traction.

it could be worse. have you seen how much the skyline GT-R has gone up in price since it was first in US market?

(or any Lexus product)

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #599
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

I didn't follow the Roadster all that closely, but my sense is that they followed the same pattern there. I don't doubt that the Model X will be the same. And the Model E. At least, as long as demand continues to outstrip supply.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #600
JST

Just for shits and giggles, I priced out a top-of-the-line P85+ (i.e., with the more powerful motor and sport suspension) to see how much more it would be than the car I ordered.

Bottom line: $27,000. Extra.

That's $13.5K for the Performance motor package, $6.5K for + package (which has different bushings and an roll bars and performance tires), $4.5K for the 21" wheels (mandatory with the + package), $2250 for the air suspension (also mandatory with the + package).

Uh, look, Tesla--I love you, man, but I think I'd use the extra 27 grand to buy a used Cayman S to take to the track.