carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #1371
Alan
Carmudgeon

Sorry to hear about your accident hopefully your ok ... how are you feeling?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:11 PM   #1372
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident hopefully your ok ... how are you feeling?
I'm feeling fine, thank you. Minor concussion, and back and neck pain for a few days. Pretty normal stuff, I think.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #1373
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
That sucks, sorry to hear ff.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #1374
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Minor concussion
A brain injury is a brain injury. There are no "small" ones.

That, and the other stuff, sucks. Hope you feel well quickly.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #1375
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Reclassified to SS, apparently, along with the GT3 and GT3 RS. Guess the SEB really doesn't want to see Teslas winning things.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
And now the non-Performance 3s join them in SS (and EV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrack May 2020
Tech Bulletins
Street Category
#28043 Tesla Acceleration Boost
Update the following listings in Appendix A:
SS Tesla
Model 3 Performance(all)(2018-20)

Due to the continual updates to the car from Tesla, such Dyno mode, Track mode version 2, etc, rather than re-classing the car for each update, the SAC is choosing to re-class all of the Model 3 variants to SS utilizing rule 3.2. The SAC would like to remind the membership of the pending new EV classes that will provide an additional outlet for these cars.
Was not really expecting that. Now that's done, I guess I'm not surprised, but still wasn't expecting it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #1376
clyde
Chief title editor

I think this car has some suspension mods, but not sure what. Wheels are wider than stock and wearing Hoosiers.

Video is from the SCCA Pro Solo at Z-Max Dragway outside Charlotte, NC last weekend. Pro Solo is autocross, but differs from the regular autocross format by normally being two (as close to) mirrored courses (as the site layout/conditions allow) and featuring a dragrace style start, complete with a Christmas tree light start lights. Where a normal autocross course will often see run times around 60 seconds, Pro Solo courses normally see run times in the 30 second range.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #1377
ff

Jezuz, that looks fast off the line. Have you guys driven one on a course? Is it a help or hindrance having no engine noise as an input (i.e. does that noise help in knowing where you are in relation to your limits)? Or is it neither, and just "different"?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #1378
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

I think this car has some suspension mods, but not sure what. Wheels are wider than stock and wearing Hoosiers.

Video is from the SCCA Pro Solo at Z-Max Dragway outside Charlotte, NC last weekend. Pro Solo is autocross, but differs from the regular autocross format by normally being two (as close to) mirrored courses (as the site layout/conditions allow) and featuring a dragrace style start, complete with a Christmas tree light start lights. Where a normal autocross course will often see run times around 60 seconds, Pro Solo courses normally see run times in the 30 second range.
Clyde, remind me how the timing lights work in pro solo. Do they have two sets of lights? Or are they staging them 60 feet back from the lights to capture a 60 foot time?

Regardless, judging from the video that car is already going 40-50 mph by the time it crosses those lights.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #1379
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Clyde, remind me how the timing lights work in pro solo. Do they have two sets of lights? Or are they staging them 60 feet back from the lights to capture a 60 foot time?

Regardless, judging from the video that car is already going 40-50 mph by the time it crosses those lights.

Pro Solo lights

The start line area has three sets of lights sitting about nine inches above the ground, two of them are pictured above:

1. Pre stage. This lights up as you approach the start line. It's seven inches before the stage light. The only purpose of the light to alert the driver that s/he is close to the stage light.

2. Stage. When this lights, you are "staged" and good to go for start as far as the computers and event are concerned. This light must on when the starter activates the tree and stay on for the full duration of the start sequence.

XX. Start light (not pictured). This light is 17 inches forward of the stage light. If this light beam is broken during the start sequence before it completes, the red light (5) will illuminate and the run will be scored as a "RL" (red light). The 17" between the stage and start lights allows a driver to "shallow" or "deep" stage which, depending on the car/driver combination can be an effective tool for getting a jump on the start or adding a little safety margin against red lighting.

3. Yellow lights. After the starter begins the start sequence, the top yellow light will illuminate after a random few seconds, the middle one 0.5 seconds later, and the third yellow 0.5 after that.

4. Green light. 0.5 seconds after the third yellow light illuminates, the green light should illuminate and is the earliest point where the car can break the start light without penalty.

5. Red light. If the start light is broken before the green light illuminates, the red light is supposed to turn on. This immediately lets the driver know that they red lit and the run will not get a time. (At least, it's supposed to come on like that. The club got a new light setup over the winter and this was hte second event. They're having issues dialing it in and the red light is delayed for some reason.)

6. Shot clock. This is a countdown timer from 15 seconds to 0. It begins a few seconds after cars leave the line and displays the time the next pair of drivers have to stage their cars. If cars are past a certain point in the staging area (not shown) when the clock starts and are not fully staged by the time the clock gets to 0, the driver's run will be scored a DNF. When the clock reaches zero, a (way too fucking loud) horn sounds.

7. Reaction time (RT). This is a display showing the most recent starting driver's reaction time. The reaction time is how much time elapsed between the third yellow light illuminating and the start light beam breaking. A perfect RT is 0.500. Anything shorter gets you a red light, but will still be shown. People are usually pretty happy to consistently cut 0.700s. This light is supposed to show your time immediately. It is also have trouble with the new setup. (Traditionally, there is an immediate cash award (between $20-$100...I can't remember) given to drivers that get a .500 in practice starts before the event and during competition itself. Sometimes, it's only the first person to do it for the event, sometimes everyone that does it, although it's pretty rare to see more than 1 or 2 in a weekend).

8. 60 Foot lights. The thing JST was asking about. These lights are set up at 60 feet from the start light. Exactness in the 60 foot measurement is best left to other pursuits, but it's usually pretty close and stays the same throughout the event. The display for this time is not shown on any of the displays. The real time event scoring usually shows it (but sometimes not) and sometimes there is a final result PDF posting with them. The announcer usually calls them out, but not always. In the old days, there was a printer that would print them out, but I don't think they've done that in about 10 years.

Kevin and I normally cut 2.1xx in the turbo Camaro. The V8s usually do about the same. I was usually somewhere around 2.6xx in the FoST. My RX-8 on r comps was usually in the 2.3xx range IIRC. JV's Boxster on r comps was often around 1.7xx. GT3s rarely did anything better than mid 1.6xx.

Those are all dry times. The 3 Performance does 1.3s all day, all night, rain or shine no matter what tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pro solo lights.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	12721  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #1380
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Those are all dry times. The 3 Performance does 1.3s all day, all night, rain or shine no matter what tires.
Thanks! The discussion on lights was...illuminating.

What would high power AWD ICE cars do? Similar? Or does the 3 Performance ace those, too?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote