carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #21
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov'ment mule
I was born and razed in Monterey

I'm from Salinas (and Toro/Corral)

When I went to school @ Poly in SLO - I'd drive up/down HWY 1 all the time. The tires I had on the 2002 lasted ~ 18,000 miles. I still miss them (Goodyear Euro Eagle NCT). I used to leave ~ 11pm (heading either north or south) for going home or to school. I got it down to taking only ~20 minutes more time for HWY 1 vs the time it would take on HWY 101 (door to door).

It's amazing how much fun that road can be at midnight with absolutely no traffic.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #22
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277

I'm from Salinas (and Toro/Corral)

When I went to school @ Poly in SLO - I'd drive up/down HWY 1 all the time. The tires I had on the 2002 lasted ~ 18,000 miles. I still miss them (Goodyear Euro Eagle NCT). I used to leave ~ 11pm (heading either north or south) for going home or to school. I got it down to taking only ~20 minutes more time for HWY 1 vs the time it would take on HWY 101 (door to door).

It's amazing how much fun that road can be at midnight with absolutely no traffic.

That's freaky, Kevin. I also am a graduate of Cow Poly.

I went through ROTC there and eventually received an active Army Commission upon graduation.

On my trips back and forth it was pretty much a wash if I hit traffic just right on the PCH. Otherwise if I had to leave during daylight hours I took Hwy 17 right by your Toro Park, then busted over to 101 through Spreckels. Too many cops on that stretch though, particularly around King City, so I always preferred The 1.

And although it wasn't until after I graduated from SLO, I also ran NCT's on my 944 mated to BBS rims. I went through 3 sets of them and was able to milk about 20k miles out of each set. Great rubber with fantastic grip. I was sorry when they were discontinued.

Anyway, in many ways it really is a small world.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I went to UC Santa Barbara for a year... Unfortunately didn't have a car, otherwise I would have headed up to SLO and the do the PCH drive up through Big Sur at least a couple times.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #24
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
It's funny you guys mention SLO as that was one of the places I stayed before the last blast down to L.A. Stayed the night in some hostel. After 2-3 days on the road sleaping in my tent it was time for a shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate
Very nice.

I would like to go to Oregon someday.
My family has had some property in Rockaway, OR (25 miles south of Cannon Beach) for the last 80+ years. We maintain a smaaaaal cabin there. It started out as a wood shed that my grandmother had converted to a 13x17 ft cabin. 2 years ago I did the remodel design work on it, adding a nice sun deck and a bedroom wing. It's about a 4.5 - 5 hr drive from Seattle but makes for a nice extended weekend gettaway to just do nothing.

Of course, within 40 minutes of the beach cabin is Sand Lake ORV park where you can have fun zooming around on the dunes with one of these (It took me about 2 yrs off and on to make this, Roadstergal was a big help wit it):

lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:42 PM   #25
Roadstergal
Butting in.

I'm going to hold you to your offer to head back down this spring.