carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Went to look at the 1er

in the dealer... Really liked it up close, the back seat is not as bad as they make it up to be, especially if you're a tidy/upright/not-big person. Decent headroom.

Very cute overall, if I didn't have the croc or if I didn't have the bimmer I'd be interested. What gets me is how the interior is 10x better than the 3er interior it's based on. A few curves and a tilt toward the driver go a long way for negating the buick-flat dash. The cupholders are back in a good place too...

Sure I haven't driven it, and sure it's heavy on paper, but I really like it. It's a properly sized car.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Opened hood, engine looks really far back. Doesn't look like the back cylinder heads are that reachable, otherwise it's not too stuffed. Decent back seat with split/fold..

I'm really pushing it on a friend who's shopping. He was about to buy a 3er then a 6er then a 3er again last year. Then procrastinated (it took him 2-3 years to buy a house so he's, ummm, challenged). Now he's drooling over the a5. He's not much of a car guy so that might work for him. Just sitting in them though, the a5 back-visibility and the rear seat room/access sucked. The 1er's back is tight but no tighter than the a5. The a5 almost feels like a 6er.

For him (but he doesn't know it) and a lot of people (an equ without his current stable) the 1er looks like a great choice. I especially like the oversized headlights, very much a puppy look.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

There is a bit of a config problem - and this helps cut down my desire a bit.

Somehow, after sampling the n52, I have no desire to go back to the m54 that I've owned (even in crazy twin turbo form). The 128i needs a sport suspension, this puts me in sport seats that put fire in my right leg. The 135i, comes with sports suspension standard and I can get it with the non-sporty seats. But it's not the engine/price I'd like. Oh well, perhaps this will stop me from doing something rash.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I'd like to take a look at the convertible.

I suppose it wouldn't make any sense to consider it over the zhp, however, if it strikes an emotional chord, who knows......

I'd go 128 with the sport package.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Just got back from driving a tit silver/black 135i 6spd. Car only had cold weather and sport pkgs and was still around 40.

First thing I noticed was the exhaust is a little more menacing then the 335i. It seems to have a little more bass to it and some nice pops coming down from high rpm’s. I also loved the stubby M Sport shifter with nice controlled throws and the chunky M Sport wheel.

This thing hauls some butt. From what I could tell the pull felt on par with my E46. The dash as equ mentioned is much better looking then the 335i and the materials are nice to the touch. I am only about 5/10 but I was able to adjust the driver seat for me and sit comfortably in the rear. My head was grazing the ceiling so I think anyone taller might have an issue.

Got some very brief highway time and one back road that has some nice turns to it. The car is very flat and controlled. The trunk is also quite a surprise. It's bigger then a thought and with the seats folded down is probably no worse then the E46.

The car does look better and less awkward in person. There are still some weird angles but less so in the flesh. All in all not to bad. I "may" have to rethink the E39 thing.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I'd like to take a look at the convertible.

I suppose it wouldn't make any sense to consider it over the zhp, however, if it strikes an emotional chord, who knows......

I'd go 128 with the sport package.

Ed

I saw a 128i cabrio at the showroom today. Black with red interior. Very nice.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I saw a 128i cabrio at the showroom today. Black with red interior. Very nice.
i think it'd be a nice running update for you if you got yer-self into a 1er with the right amount of kit.

so long as you keep the uberwagen, i don't see why you couldn't get something fun. although, at this point, i'd find it hard to part ways with the ZHP.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
There is a bit of a config problem - and this helps cut down my desire a bit.

Somehow, after sampling the n52, I have no desire to go back to the m54 that I've owned (even in crazy twin turbo form). The 128i needs a sport suspension, this puts me in sport seats that put fire in my right leg. The 135i, comes with sports suspension standard and I can get it with the non-sporty seats. But it's not the engine/price I'd like. Oh well, perhaps this will stop me from doing something rash.
Oops, forgot my very own thread from a week ago when I posted my test drive impressions yesterday. It has been a crazy week at work - to say the least - hope it doesn't get any crazier.

Back to the 1er...

I'm quoting myself as the real world drive simply revealed the weakness of the 128i and the b.s. in my above argument. This also means I can get a non-zsp 135i, i.e. the same suspension & tires. The base seats do feel better (at least in my few minutes sitting vs. driving test) for my sciatica-ish butt/right leg. I would just miss on the overly padded steering wheel.

Perhaps a 130i would be ok, but the 135i is something special. I'd really like to hear some reports from the 335 drivers here. Is the car faster? Because it feels like it is (which is also good even if it isn't faster). Is it gearing? Is it the louder exhaust? The weight difference should not be that noticeable. But the pull, and the animal nature are. It's a great car and no one should be shopping for a sports/fast car in the 40k+ range without driving one.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

I can't wait to drive a 6spd. The auto 135i felt a bit out of control. And no, I don't like paddle shifters that much (not used to them) even if the delay is pretty improved.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
my curiosity is piqued, but there's just no way that i'd spend 40k++ on a daily driver like the 1er that will be fun to drive, but still struggle in wet weather and in the snow and never see the far side of 22mpg in city driving.

for people for whom this would be an only car, it seems marginally viable, but if you've got a 2nd car or room for one, it's not clear to me that you buy this car.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote