carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Just drove an '04 996 C2

Wow. It exceeded my expectations.

The car: Silver w/ black interior, 20K miles, CPO. Very, very clean car.

I drove it with a co-worker, but besides adding ~180lbs, the conversation made me overlook a few details. It was a bit damp with some mist.

That thing felt fast and torquey. It felt at least as fast the 3.2L 987S I drove a couple of years back and probably faster. In typical porsche fashion, it immediately made the ZHP feel like a buick. It was so "mechanical," direct. It had what felt like a very heavy clutch. The throws were nice but a bit long. Shifting was easier than on the ZHP although I seemed to never be eable to remove power/disengage clutch smoothly. Brakes were simply espectacular in terms of feel. I didn't get to push the car much on turns because of traffic and my apprehension to even try to sniff the limits of a 911 for the first time on damp roads. Suffice to say that the car shrugged off anything I did without breathing hard. The sounds were amazing, the ride firm but not jarring despite 18" wheels. It seems to smooth out the sharpness of the bumps, which made it very tolerable.

Basically, it kicked ass. The interior didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. The car had pwr seats which made finding a good position easy. The steering wheel felt a bit thin, but not bad. The backs of the seats seemed narrow, though. I think I could get away with having a (FF) kid in the back. Perhaps not daily, but it can be done.

The most interesting thing was getting back in the 330i. I swear I thought my clutch pedal was broken. It seemed like I touched it and it bottomed out. Basically everything felt over-assisted. And it felt quiet and slow. I looked down wondering why it felt slow, thinking maybe amidst my conversation I was in the dreaded sub-3krpm range. Nope, I was at 5krpm and climbing. My car had never felt slow there on 3rd gear. My car is still a nice car, but man, not even close. I'm afraid to even try out a 997 much less a 997S. I could wind up doing something monumentally stupid.

That's all I can remember for now.

Oh, there were two '07 Caymans for $10K off, and an '07 987 for $43K.

Last edited by FC; 04-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Wow. It exceeded my expectations.

The car: Silver w/ balck interior, 20K miles, CPO. Very, very clean car.

I drove it with a co-worker, but besides adding ~180lbs, the conversation made me overlook a few details. It was a bit damp with some mist.

That thing felt FAST and torquey. It felt at LEAST as fast the 3.2L 987S I drove a couple of years back and probably faster. In typical porsche fashion, it immediately made the ZHP feel like a buick. It was so "mechanical," direct. It had what felt like a very heavy clutch. The throws were nice but a bit long. Shifting was easier than on the ZHP although I seemed to never be eable to remove power/desengage clutch smoothly. Brakes were simply espectacular in terms of feel. I didn't get to push the car much on turns because of traffic and my apprehension to even try to sniff the limits of a 911 for the first time on damp roads. Suffice to say that the car shrugged off anyhitng I did withouth breathig hard. The sounds were amazing, the ride firm, but not jarring despite 18" wheels. It seems to smooth out the sharpness of the bumps, which made it very tolerable.

Basically, it kicked ass. The interior didn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. The car had pwr seats which made finding a good position easy. The steering wheel felt a bit thin, but not bad. The backs of the seats seemed narrow, though. I think I could get away with having a (FF) kid in the back. Perhaps not daily, but it can be done.

The most interesting thing was getting back in the 330i. I swear I thought my clutch pedal was broken. It seemed like I touched it and it bottomed out. Basically everything felt over-assisted. And it felt quiet and slow. I looked down wondering why it felt slow, thinking maybe amidst my conversation I was in the dreaded sub-3K rpm, not I was at 5krpm and climbing. My car had never felt slow there on 3rd gear. My car is still a ncie car, but man, not even close. I'm afraid to even try out a 997 much less a 997S. I could wind up doing something momumentally stupid.

That's all I can remember for now.

Oh, there were two '07 Caymans for $10K off, and an '07 987 for $43K.
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...4&postcount=40
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Yes, I had that post in my mind the whole time. You were right.

...and yes, the throttle response did make me weep a little. Well, almost.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Yup, they are awesome... The day will come.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Yup, they are awesome... The day will come.
I can't stop thinking about it. In a twisted sort of way, I keep think of just how badass a 997/S must be. I'm insane. Cars need to be driven soon. MCS, 986, Elise, S2K, etc.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
what was the price of it? The 996 I have seen have been dirt cheap, cheaper then older 911s. Just hate the runny egg headlights but oh well.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
what was the price of it? The 996 I have seen have been dirt cheap, cheaper then older 911s. Just hate the runny egg headlights but oh well.
Well, there is the '99-'01 996 and the '02-'04 996.

Main difference cosmetically is that the 99-01 looks just like a boxster from the front, and the 02-04 has the TT headlights and a nicer front bumper.

Apparently the exhaust was fixed to once again sound awesome, and the engine went from 3.4L/300hp to 3.6L/320hp. I'm sure there are other minor changes too.

Right now, it seems 02-04 C2's (plain RWD 996's) can cost from as little as 35K to as much as low-mid 50K's depending on mileage/warranty. One should be able to find a decent one with "high mileage" for ~$40K right now.

If I buy one, I'd be looking at scooping one up in the dead of winter for cheap. Another option is that since the 997 facelift/bump in power is happening this fall, hopefully used prices will go down and maybe I can grab an '05 997S for under $50K. THAT would be very tempting.

These are all '02+...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=14778
Old 04-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, there is the '99-'01 996 and the '02-'04 996.

Main difference cosmetically is that the 99-01 looks just like a boxster from the front, and the 02-04 has the TT headlights and a nicer front bumper.

Apparently the exhaust was fixed to once again sound awesome, and the engine went from 3.4L/300hp to 3.6L/320hp. I'm sure there are other minor changes too.

Right now, it seems 02-04 C2's (plain RWD 996's) can cost from as little as 35K to as much as low-mid 50K's depending on mileage/warranty. One should be able to find a decent one with "high mileage" for ~$40K right now.

If I buy one, I'd be looking at scooping one up in the dead of winter for cheap. Another option is that since the 997 facelift/bump in power is happening this fall, hopefully used prices will go down and maybe I can grab an '05 997S for under $50K. THAT would be very tempting.

These are all '02+...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=14778
FC, here is your car:

http://jalopnik.com/378904/could-you...purple-porsche
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
thanks
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
the post-2002 engines are awesome because they have variocam plus so the torque curve isn't peaky like it is on the pre 2002 cars.

i like that late 996s because of that. but it'll come to a point when you can have that engine in the 997 bodyshell pretty inexpensively.

just a thought.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote