carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
MCS/P-car waffling

First, questions for Fil (or anyone else):

-I assume there are still no news on ED for Mini's, right? Man, that sucks. ED on an MCS would be just PERFECT. There is no way to do a ghetto ED either, right? Like an under-the-table ED. I suggested to MINI to offer ED through BMW's Munich center. They didn't say much in response.

-16" wheels come only with RFT's, right? If I go 17" can I get summers from the factory? If so, are they any good?

Ok, now just general waffling talk.

On the MCS/ZHP front:

I've grown more comfortable with the thought of replacing the ZHP with an MCS. A big contingency is that we like the MCS A LOT, but psychologically, I'm growing more OK with the idea (though I'm sure I'd miss it for sure, especially since we'd no longer have a sedan). This could happen as early as this Fall since I could take $$$ from the ZHP sale and use it for our remodeling (which is growing in scope thanks to a "rip the band-aid and do it all (indoors) at once"). The remodeling won't be a pretty bill, but hopefully the house will.

On the sportscar front:

After much waffling and drooling over a potential early 997S, I think one of my earlier plans still works. The 997S is too much money just now, and a 996 is too much money for an older car that is going to look/feel very outdated soon without the upside of the "classic" look. 996TT is bad for both reasons. Also, the utility of the 911 won't be fully realized just yet. Finally, a 911 (997 or 996) makes too much of a statement to family, friends, and co-workers.

So, I'm back to a 987S. A 986S (or even S2K) is not out of the question, but dammit, I want to treat myself after all this waiting, so I'm going to assume a 987S.

If I go 987S, the smart thing to do is to wait until after Xmas and through the winter time. Rumor is the new 987S is out this Fall/next spring, so waiting until spring time may not be a bad move either. I could:

-Go nuts and buy a new one through ED. This is silly because we're talking ~$60K, I may not keep this car very long, and I wouldn't drive it that much. But the thought of driving my "latest-and greatest" custom-built Porsche in Europe is very tempting. Not likely though.

-Find a good deal on a '07, 3.4L 987S. Seeming more likely.

-Look for an '05 3.2L 987S.

The (very nebulous) thought is to replace this car after 3-5 years with a used (by then '09+) 997S.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote